First dent and scratch

How crazy is it to purposely dent and scratch your new tractor?

• Totally crazy

Votes: 26 70.3%
  • Somewhat Nucking Futs

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Ok

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Not so bad

• Great idea, plan to adopt this tradtion

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Raymo853

Equipment
LX2610SU
Jun 26, 2019
Dorset, VA
After you smack your tractor with a wrench, whack yourself in the head, so you know what that feels like too, so you won’t be a surprise when the first branch hits you. That makes no sense either.
I had a lot of major blows to the head as a young BMX racer and that is why the bunnies add it up to 1 2 3.

Raymo853

Equipment
LX2610SU
Jun 26, 2019
Dorset, VA
Here is the real challenge, planning to go commit to a LX3310 with R14s, and third function kit, a BB15 box blade, and either a SGC06 grapple or a WR Long one. Will I actually do the first dent or wait for it to come along naturally.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
My Wabi-sabi nature would say it doesn't matter either way.

It will end up the way it was meant to be. So embrace the imperfection, or fix it, it doesn't matter. That is how I approach a lot of things at this point in life. It is the imperfection that "makes" it perfect. Some people will never "get" this, but it is evidenced by the reality you are looking at (many don't get that either).

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
You come by my place and purposely scratch or dent my wife's new 85 grand Suburban. I'll give you a dent you won't soon forget.
If you paid 85k for a Suburban YOU may have taken one too many dents to the head.

Reactions: 1 users

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Paid cash and not 85. It stickered for 85. I don't believe in financing anything for personal use. For the farm, no problem because I can write off the loan and interest.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Paid cash and not 85. It stickered for 85. I don't believe in financing anything for personal use. For the farm, no problem because I can write off the loan and interest.
Have you ever heard of a "Company Vehicle"?

The only reason I ask is I have been writing off my car and truck for as long as I can remember. I maintain 2 company vehicles. If I couldn't write them off, I would not be getting the nice ones.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Flip I gotta ask...isn’t your BIL a Ford engineer? And your wife gets a Chevy 😱
Yes he is. He was/is the lead engineer on the 10 speed Ford is using now. Both of us have always liked Suburban's. I like the Navigators too but the 'Burb' clicked all the boxes for her so what we got. I don't like the 'Nav's' all plastic front end either. Parked next to an Explorer the other day and lined the front bumpers up even. The 'Burb' is a good 2 feet longer than the Explorer....lol

One thing I did was I immediately bought a Range Electronics cylinder delete-delete. I don't care for the GM cylinder cut out feature at all. I suspect GM did that to increase their corporate fuel economy ratings. The 5.3 is a V8 and I have an issue with only half the cylinders working at speed. Burb's aren't economy vehicles anyway. My focus is...lol I read they did that on the V6's too.

Told my wife we could 'social distance with another couple in the Burb. Put them in the 3rd row seats, they'd be 6 feet from us....

Still have not figured out all the options but we like the heated and air conditioned seats and the power lift gate and moon roof. She got the optional leather, probably should have gotten cloth instead. Leather is slippery.

I'll be taking it on hunting trips when I can get it away from her..... :rolleyes: It's 4 wheel drive, of course. Kind of real 4 wheel drive with limited slip front and rear.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Yes he is. He was/is the lead engineer on the 10 speed Ford is using now. Both of us have always liked Suburban's. I like the Navigators too but the 'Burb' clicked all the boxes for her so what we got. I don't like the 'Nav's' all plastic front end either. Parked next to an Explorer the other day and lined the front bumpers up even. The 'Burb' is a good 2 feet longer than the Explorer....lol

One thing I did was I immediately bought a Range Electronics cylinder delete-delete. I don't care for the GM cylinder cut out feature at all. I suspect GM did that to increase their corporate fuel economy ratings. The 5.3 is a V8 and I have an issue with only half the cylinders working at speed. Burb's aren't economy vehicles anyway. My focus is...lol I read they did that on the V6's too.

Told my wife we could 'social distance with another couple in the Burb. Put them in the 3rd row seats, they'd be 6 feet from us....

Still have not figured out all the options but we like the heated and air conditioned seats and the power lift gate and moon roof. She got the optional leather, probably should have gotten cloth instead. Leather is slippery.

I'll be taking it on hunting trips when I can get it away from her..... :rolleyes: It's 4 wheel drive, of course. Kind of real 4 wheel drive with limited slip front and rear.
Explorer and suburban two totally different classes of SUVs. And I know very little of gm’s but what you mean plastic front end?
Almost everything is plastic covered front end these days if you mean body wise.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Explorer and suburban two totally different classes of SUVs. And I know very little of gm’s but what you mean plastic front end?
Almost everything is plastic covered front end these days if you mean body wise.
We looked at the Lincoln Navigators too. By plastic I mean the entire front grill is vacuum plated plastic, don't like it at all. The Burb is too but it's not sticking out there like a sore thumb like the Nav is.

One thing I will say about the GM's and that is, items like the dipsticks for the trans and oil are actually reachable from the ground. My buddy has a new F150 Crew in 4wd and the only way he can check his oil is climb on the bumper. His body height isn't any higher that the Burb's....and Ford jams all the accessory stuff up front. GM don't. The engine bay is uncluttered, you can even see the plugs...lol Much better design. My Focus is the same cluttered up engine bay. I would not ever want to replace the alternator. Looks like you have to drop the rack to pull it. Nice engineering, but then cluttered is my BIL too......lol

It's a beast....

If it's good enough for Trump to ride in, it's good enough for 2 country bumpkins to ride in................ (y)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
We looked at the Lincoln Navigators too. By plastic I mean the entire front grill is vacuum plated plastic, don't like it at all. The Burb is too but it's not sticking out there like a sore thumb like the Nav is.

One thing I will say about the GM's and that is, items like the dipsticks for the trans and oil are actually reachable from the ground. My buddy has a new F150 Crew in 4wd and the only way he can check his oil is climb on the bumper. His body height isn't any higher that the Burb's....and Ford jams all the accessory stuff up front. GM don't. The engine bay is uncluttered, you can even see the plugs...lol Much better design. My Focus is the same cluttered up engine bay. I would not ever want to replace the alternator. Looks like you have to drop the rack to pull it. Nice engineering, but then cluttered is my BIL too......lol

It's a beast....

If it's good enough for Trump to ride in, it's good enough for 2 country bumpkins to ride in................ (y)
🤣😂🤣 yeah your buddy aint checking the trans from under the hood, gonna crawl under it and burn the hell out his hands on the exhaust inches from the little cap over the mini dipstick, thank your BIL for me 🤣 alternator on that focus no problem, dont ask the engineer how to work on em 😂 just bustin ya Flip, take care

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
As much as I am against buying an Obama Motors vehicle, I will say overall, the fit and finish is better than the Ford / Lincoln, especially the interior and seats. Extremely comfortable ride. We took a Navigator for an extended trial as well as the Burb. The Burb won in ride and overall quality, hands down. Only downside was, it cost more than the farm did.

...and the trans takes Dexron-Mercon IV, not the synthetic fish oil crap the Ford's do at 7 bucks a quart.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Man this thread went off in a different direction!

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
?? Would you bruise your newborn kid on purpose just to get the first one out of the way so as to not worry about your kid getting bruised ?? My mtn bike has more scratches, dents, and replaced parts than I can count, but none of it was on purpose and none of it bothers me. If the tradition works for you that's great, just not something I would do.

Howling

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 5, 2016
Ayer, MA
If you want to dent or scratch it go for it. It is your toy/tool.

I prefer to wait out the natural course of events and have a story about the marks that add character to the tractor or whatever.

Have taught kids that dented steel is fixable. Problems come with dented person. I have got the calls from a teenager. Ask are you ok? Is the truck/car drivable? Not a big problem, come home and we will fix it and move on.

Years ago my son had a girlfriend show up to a family event with brand new car and be paranoid about dent and scratches. I pointed out my 6-month old truck was twice the price of her car and dents and scratches are part of life. Then watched my punch the window and kick the tire on her car. She was high maintenance and moved on.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
New B2601 late yesterday afternoon - only time to drive it around the lawn. Used it today, first scratch on it by 1:30pm - drove the ROPS into a power pylon. I don't need to deliberately scratch my stuff, I scratch it soon enough just by using it. I do need to get some Kubota grey spray paint though.

Reactions: 1 user

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
Congrats and I hope many more scratches to follow. otherwise park it in the barn and just think of all the things you could be accomplishing with it if you weren't worried about scratches!