First days with a B6100D

Buse

Equipment
B6100 with FEL
Oct 3, 2011
Sweden
Hi all,
I am new to this forum and to Kubota. I just got a B6100 (needing loads of care) and many hours of mech.
But I have started with the swapping the oil(s). Engine and hydraulics is done. Overall condition looks quite ugly, but everything works except for a tilt cylinder leak and all electric wiring to lights have "passed away". My priority now is to
1) learn how to operate a
2) fix the tilt cylinder leak
Secondly to restore the color and one small welding issue.
And also to fix the electric harness. I reckon that 90% of the cables are expired. Some of the insulation is bad. But the tractor is GREAT!

Attachments

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
Well done on your new buy and welcome to OTT.
If thats "ugly" then you must be showing us her good side because from where I'm sitting she doesn't look too bad!
I hope the rear tyres are ballasted or your going to get some weight on the rear end before you start driving around with the bucket in the air or you will soon be looking at her from another angle.
Its fairly easy to rewire one of these as there are no complicated parts ,I have a wiring diagram if you need one.
Dave

300zx

Equipment
1979 B7100D, 2009 ZG20, 1991 B2150, 1990 B6200
Dec 1, 2010
Forest, VA
I agree with B7100, it looks like a pretty good tractor for its age. My son bought a 1977 B6100D and we refreshed it this Spring. Here are some of the pictures we took during the process:

https://picasaweb.google.com/110263893958737890068/RussB6100?authkey=Gv1sRgCLeenfzFhtS0dQ#

Make sure you clean the screen in the suction pipe of the hydraulic system. It is located under the right foot support, as shown in my last picture. We also used a magnet and reached into the bottom of the transmission to pull out a lot of metal filings while the screen was out.

I have had all of my B219 FEL cylinders rebuilt by a local hydraulic shop and that worked really well. I don't have a single leak now. Mine had a lot of pitting on the main cylinder rod and they made new ones from stock chrome rod. I also replaced all of my hoses with after market hoses which was a major savings.

If you have not found them yet, there are digital copies of the manuals for your tractor referenced on this site.

Good luck. They are great compact tractors.

John

Buse

Equipment
B6100 with FEL
Oct 3, 2011
Sweden
Thanks for the welcome. It is appreciated!
300zx: So nice to see a good looking restoration.
The uglyness is a rust and also deteriorated hydraul hoses. I have ordered 8 new and also taken down the leaking tilt cylinder. Should be back by next week.
As for traction during winter I have picked up chains for the rear turf tires.
Question here: Is it common to use ballasted tyres? I see the point, but is there a catch?
But I agree that I will need a lot of back weight in addition. I guess I can solve this - I am more concerned with all the ugly electrics.
Primary use is intended for snow removal. I have used a mower (Husqvarna) with snow blade, chains and wheel weights. But the last two years have been to much for the HQ. I hope to be in working order before the snow arrives.
I need to spend time at after market shops since there is no "local" dealer within 3-4 hours drive...

300zx

Equipment
1979 B7100D, 2009 ZG20, 1991 B2150, 1990 B6200
Dec 1, 2010
Forest, VA
As B7100 said, the wiring is not very complicated and any bad wiring can be replaced one wire at a time.

As for use in the winter, I was really happy with my B7100 last winter pushing a front blade with 4WD, but I have narrow bar tread tires which probably makes a difference over turf tires. I used a Wheel Horse garden tractor before my Kubota, and the Kubota with 4WD has much more traction in snow as you would expect. I have added fluid to all four of my tires to increase the side to side stability of the tractor when I use my sickle bar mower (which has a 6 foot bar out to the side). The only down side (or catch) for you might be the heaviness of the tractor if you plan to use it for mowing the following year. I don't have that with my tractor since I don't mow my yard with it. Here is a chart of how much weight you can add with fluid in your tires:

http://www.ballaststar.com/charts.php?chart=chart-hydro-garden.txt

Again, good luck. My experience is that the more you work on your tractor, the more confident you will be with it.

John

Buse

Equipment
B6100 with FEL
Oct 3, 2011
Sweden
I have fixed the leaking tilt cylinder, and it is a significant change. Now the FEL can lift the tractor itself (with my 90 kg ontop). also, 8 deteriorated hoses are swapped.
Bengt