Exhaust Extension Pipe

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I start my 1948 Chrysler and keep it running for about a minute, then open the door and back out.
My L3301 sleeps outside at the present.
All that '49 needs is a turret and a little bit of reactive armor, and it would be a threat to an M1A2.

Reactions: 1 users

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I have needed to run lots of motors in my climate controlled shop with the door shut, cant move a car that's on a lift, and they do need to be run occasionally after swapping motors or transmissions.

I have pipes sized to fit exhaust pipe, run them out through the door. For BX and B, I use 1.5" diameter 25' long galvanized flex pipe. I'm still alive! I wonder how many of those rebuking op have run a propane heater in their garage (I dont but they seem pretty common around here). ;)

like this:
Walker (40002) 1-1/2" Diameter - 25' Long Galvanized Flex Tube

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan
I'm thinking, always a dangerous thing for me to do, some kind of setup similar to what's been mentioned. Any kind of fan, inline kitchen exhaust, duct booster, etc. that moves a little more air than your tractor does at idle. A simple calculation of engine displacement times RPM divided by 2 will tell you how much the air the engine is moving.

At idle, the exhaust doesn't get real hot, if you have a 2" exhaust pipe dumping into a 4" dryer vent pipe, it won't be as hot as the coming from a dryer considering you'll be pulling some cold in as well.

Route it through a wall away from the door and any house windows.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I start my 1948 Chrysler and keep it running for about a minute, then open the door and back out.
My L3301 sleeps outside at the present.
THAT’S GORGEOUS!! I want one!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Check your Private msgs

Pony Doc

Lifetime Member

Equipment
SSV75 Kioti LK3054 Oliver 1250
Dec 15, 2020
Central Colorado
I have treated over 1000 cases of carbon monoxide poisoning and I only saw the worst. In many cases internal combustion engines were the source. Many of the cases were suicide attempts, car running in the closed garage. Accidental car related poisonings are generally due to a compromised exhaust system or a car left running in the garage. Keyless ignition systems in quiet running cars now account for many accidental poisonings but it's surprising how often survivors told me they forgot the car was running in the garage! Relatively low levels of inhaled CO, even 30 ppm, quickly interfere with cognition making it easier to "forget" to switch the vehicle off. Sadly there have been many cases recently in Texas and Oklahoma.
Older vehicles and small 4 cycle engines generate more CO than current vehicles and can lead to severe poisoning very quickly. If you have a digital CO detector having it in the garage may produce some chilling/interesting numbers.
There are such great people on this site, so stay safe everyone

Reactions: 3 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
CO-poisoning is easier than you might think. You can be OUTDOORS and kill yourself with carbon-monoxide because once it enters the bloodstream it subtly continues to take-hostage your hemoglobin. Plenty of deaths occur while BOATING outside on a lake with an idling engine while fishing, swimming, skiing, etc. etc.