Exhaust Extension Pipe

MPM1979

Equipment
B2650 w/loader, BB1260 Blade, LR1660 Rake, FDR1660 mower
Apr 9, 2020
SE Michigan
While warming up the tractor in the garage exhaust fumes are being blown backward with the door open. The wife is concerned about the fumes and smell getting into the house. Anybody used or know where I can buy a flexible pipe I could slip over the exhaust pipe on the tractor and run it out under the garage door. I'm thinking I need 10 feet or so. My plan is to put the pipe on, start the tractor and when warm open the door and drive out past the door. Then remove the pipe and roll it up for the next time. Looking for something to take the heat and not be overly bulky.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
While warming up the tractor in the garage exhaust fumes are being blown backward with the door open. The wife is concerned about the fumes and smell getting into the house. Anybody used or know where I can buy a flexible pipe I could slip over the exhaust pipe on the tractor and run it out under the garage door. I'm thinking I need 10 feet or so. My plan is to put the pipe on, start the tractor and when warm open the door and drive out past the door. Then remove the pipe and roll it up for the next time. Looking for something to take the heat and not be overly bulky.
I wouldn't start and run with the door closed at all, extension pipe or not. If there's any leak, toxic fumes will build. Too risky, by me.
Install a block heater so the warmup period is less before you can move it out the OPEN door to finish warming up.
Or find a flexible exhaust diverter hose like they sometimes use in auto shops, maybe contact an auto supply store to find one.
THEN open the door fully, connect the diverter pipe to direct most fumes away from the open door far enough to avoid wind-blown re-entry.

Reactions: 1 user

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5400, BH92, RTV900, ZD326
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
Why not just pull the tractor outside to warm it up?

Reactions: 2 users

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Back when I worked in a shop, we had a exhaust system with a blower (pricey), capable of sucking more fumes than the engines could produce. A pipe stuck on the end of the muffler will not do that.
The only safe way is to fire it up, move it outside, leave the door open to vent what fumes you did make and close the door when you go out to get on the tractor.

Reactions: 1 users

MPM1979

Equipment
Apr 9, 2020
SE Michigan
Thanks all for the replies. I was looking for a cheap way of warming it up a bit before moving it. Not that moving it 10 feet cold should be a problem. As NBryan said a diverter pipe is what I am looking for without the pricey blower William1 mentions. Haven't had any luck with the local auto supply places. I'll keep looking. Appears I have time as we haven't had enough snow here to bother starting the tractor!

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Get the cheap dust collector blower from Harbor Freight. Mount that sucker to the wall up high and shoot the discharge through the wall with a dryer vent hood. Run a piece of 4" dust collection hose the exhaust pipe and you're golden!

MPM1979

Equipment
Apr 9, 2020
SE Michigan
Thanks Mcfarmall and Huey. Both good options. Don't know if I want a blower as yet but either looks like a quick install. Think I'll keep pondering......

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I did this to solve the very same problem with my B2650 the first winter I had it:
Winter Front Grille Cover for Kubota B2650 | OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota

I didn't like the idea of running it enclosed in the garage and it wouldn't warm up enough just sitting outside the garage door in some of our sub zero temps. These covers solved a whole host of issues, one of which being the quick warmups while sitting outside after startup. Easy on/off with no tools for your B2650. If you have a front mount snowblower they'll also stop the snow ingestion into your air filter and keep your engine compartment/fuel warm as well.

If interested, or questions, just ask.

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
Call me paranoid, but I have a detached garage, and I still open both overhead doors while warming up my cabbed tractor. My BIL almost died from carbon monoxide poisoning. Just not willing to go there.

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
NEVER EVER run an engine in a closed garage ESPECIALLY if it an attached garage!!!!! This is a sure disaster waiting to happen.

Open the door and start it up.

You could use a powerful box type fan to blow out the fumes, but the door should be open all the way and BEFORE starting the engine, on anything.

ThomasH

Equipment
LX2610HSDC BH77
May 26, 2020
Cheney, WA

MPM1979

Equipment
Apr 9, 2020
SE Michigan
Thanks everyone for your comments and concerns. You all are correct I would never run anything in the garage with the door closed. It's not a big deal to pull out the tractor to let it warm up but I was looking for ways to exhaust fumes with the door closed. In the future there maybe other devices with motors that I need to work on in the garage, like when my generator refuses to start during a snowstorm, lol. Thanks again.

MPM1979

Equipment
Apr 9, 2020
SE Michigan
I did this to solve the very same problem with my B2650 the first winter I had it:
Winter Front Grille Cover for Kubota B2650 | OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota

I didn't like the idea of running it enclosed in the garage and it wouldn't warm up enough just sitting outside the garage door in some of our sub zero temps. These covers solved a whole host of issues, one of which being the quick warmups while sitting outside after startup. Easy on/off with no tools for your B2650. If you have a front mount snowblower they'll also stop the snow ingestion into your air filter and keep your engine compartment/fuel warm as well.

If interested, or questions, just ask.
Bird dogger, I have looked at your covers several times. Normally I don't use the tractor to plow snow unless we get a lot. Four wheeler with a plow does the job. If in the future I deciced I need to keep the tractor warm you will be the first person I contact. But thanks for the reminder.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I can't believe I'm not dead yet. I start mine up, it idles while the garage door opens. I pull it outside and let it idle while I go in and close the garage door. I can't even tell there are any fumes in the garage (it's detached, 4200 sqft, no exhaust fan). If I kept it in an attached garage, I would probably do the same routine except I'd back it in so the exhaust aims out of instead of into the garage.

802Driver

Equipment
LX2610SU 60" Bucket Land Pride54" Box Blade Farm King 4572 Rear Blade
May 18, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
Thanks all for the replies. I was looking for a cheap way of warming it up a bit before moving it. Not that moving it 10 feet cold should be a problem. As NBryan said a diverter pipe is what I am looking for without the pricey blower William1 mentions. Haven't had any luck with the local auto supply places. I'll keep looking. Appears I have time as we haven't had enough snow here to bother starting the tractor!
It won't do your tractor any harm moving it right after starting it, your tractor will easily move forward stepping on the hydro pedal at idle speeds. I start mine in the shed and do exactly that. Perfectly safe.

retired farmer

Equipment
tractor, loader, cutter, blade
May 25, 2020
sheridan
It won't do your tractor any harm moving it right after starting it, your tractor will easily move forward stepping on the hydro pedal at idle speeds. I start mine in the shed and do exactly that. Perfectly safe.
I start my 1948 Chrysler and keep it running for about a minute, then open the door and back out.
My L3301 sleeps outside at the present.

Attachments