Engaging PTO for off-tractor use

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
On my L5740 the seat safety switch can be bypassed by folding the seat forward before engaging the PTO. I was taught to push the clutch in when engaging or disengaging the PTO (on other tractors w/ 2-stage clutches, and I think in this users manual also).

Surely they don't want me to try to use the clutch while the seat is forward? Is using the clutch to engage the PTO no longer recommended? If I am on the tractor, should I still use the clutch? What is the correct procedure for engaging it with the seat forward? Throttle down, engage, throttle back up?

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Does pushing the clutch stop the PTO? If not, then clutching the transmission does diddly for the PTO. I'm thinking most of the newer Kubotas are hydraulic clutch PTO's, which runs completely independent of the transmission. This is why they want the engine reduced to high idle before engaging the PTO. Unlike the old Ford 8N, which would gladly try to be a submarine in the creek if you clutched it expecting it to stop with the PTO engaged and the bushhog wound up to full speed. . Someone please chime in and correct me if I'm wrong. Does the PTO start turning as soon as you engage it with the clutch pedal down? Again, if it does, then your clutch serves no purpose for the PTO.

I remember some of the older Massey's had a two stage clutch. First stage would disengage the tranny, pushing fully down would disengage both tranny and PTO. One pedal, two clutches. I may be showing my age here.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
Yes, pushing the clutch stops the PTO. I didn't realize it would, but I kind of like that. I'm pretty sure that saved my bacon on my Ford when the mower grabbed some barb-wire. I had just enough time to panic and stomp on the clutch -- I never would have got the PTO off in time on my JD. The Ford was also a two-stage as you described.

I think my Kubota is a 2012 model, so newer ones may be different, and even though the PTO stops when the clutch is in, the fancy display still shows PTO RPMs

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
On my L3901DT, I push the clutch in, engage the PTO, let the clutch out and then bring up to RPMs and the get off the seat and put it forward. I don't remember how long you have before it shuts the engine down, but the is enough time to stand up and pull the seat forward.

Reactions: 1 user

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
I'll give that a try. The manual says to tilt seat forward, then engage PTO, then bring up engine speed (w/ no mention of clutch). Re-reading the manual, it also doesn't say to use the clutch when engaging the PTO, even when seated.

Also, per the earlier question, the book says clutch disengages PTO on the HST, but not on the "glide shift" transmission.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Don't have a clutch, but don't have to put the seat up either. 2020 LX2610SU has a little bypass button that lets you engage PTO, set speed, then push the button to bypass before getting off the seat. Don't have any PTO driven equipment (yet) but will verify what I think the book is telling me about other safety measures needed for HST models. No clutch to push, so all hydraulic operation. Guess I'll find out soon enough with a chipper on it's way. High inertia load, so let's see how the PTO likes that.

marrmanu

Equipment
B2620 3pt chipper, box blade, post hole auger, custom 3pt chain box with hooks h
Jan 16, 2021
usa
On my B2620 the clutch engages and disengages the PTO. This comes in handy if not necessary when operating the 3pt auger, it would be spinning while trying to accurately place the hole to be dug.
On my tractor, per owners manual, the purpose of tilting the seat forward is to apply enough weight to the seat to hold down the safety engine kill switch which is mounted under the seat. Engine kill stops everything!
So while seated, the pto is engaged and then as you dismount the tractor you quickly tilt the seat to the forward position to so as not to engage the engine kill switch.
My switch is not functioning correctly, seat weight does not keep switch down, I still need to trouble shoot this, but as I just use the switches wiring harness to hold the switch down its not a big priority.
I always use the clutch at idle and slowly let it out to make sure nothing is out of wack then rev up.
Hope this helps