Ditch scraper

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Have a small drainage ditch by the road and didn't want the county to clean it with their big hoe and make it so it can't be mowed. So I came up with a scoop that works pretty good.

All material is misc. iron. The 2x2 heavy wall tubing was something I bought a few years ago, just because it was a bargain. The scoop is a commercial water heater cut in half, then quartered with some SS welded on the cutting edge, and a few braces cut from sucker rod. It's bolted to the bucket with the same holes and bolts used to hold the tooth bar.

Attachments

Reactions: 13 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Have a small drainage ditch by the road and didn't want the county to clean it with their big hoe and make it so it can't be mowed. So I came up with a scoop that works pretty good.

All material is misc. iron. The 2x2 heavy wall tubing was something I bought a few years ago, just because it was a bargain. The scoop is a commercial water heater cut in half, then quartered with some SS welded on the cutting edge, and a few braces cut from sucker rod. It's bolted to the bucket with the same holes and bolts used to hold the tooth bar.
Very innovative idea!

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Ingenious (y)

Love it, and its a great use of "scrap metal"(y)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
There's about 80' of ditch that has very little grass and clogs up. Most of what I clean out is run off from the road. The operator doesn't understand the concept of a crown on a road so they do the best they can do and cut an opening in the ridge so water can get to the ditch. This leaves limestone dust that eventually causes water to be blocked from flowing.

Last time I used the scoop I took about 4 full scoops. It rolls out of the scoop when dumped just like the loader. I put it nearby on the opposite side of the road in my "spoils pile"!

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
There's about 80' of ditch that has very little grass and clogs up. Most of what I clean out is run off from the road. The operator doesn't understand the concept of a crown on a road so they do the best they can do and cut an opening in the ridge so water can get to the ditch. This leaves limestone dust that eventually causes water to be blocked from flowing.

Last time I used the scoop I took about 4 full scoops. It rolls out of the scoop when dumped just like the loader. I put it nearby on the opposite side of the road in my "spoils pile"!
Excellent solution, to a nagging issue!