Crazy times. Ammunition thread.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
I'm wondering if we're going to see something like we're seeing with some soda flavors - with raw materials being limited, manufacturers are concentrating on the most popular varieties. If this happens with ammo, the more unusual types may be hard to find a lot longer than the popular ones.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I'm wondering if we're going to see something like we're seeing with some soda flavors - with raw materials being limited, manufacturers are concentrating on the most popular varieties. If this happens with ammo, the more unusual types may be hard to find a lot longer than the popular ones.

That is certainly possible. I guess it is also possible, we could see the opposite, with some of the less popular rounds showing up since there is less demand for them.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
When I have zoomed around looking for ammo I did find lots or at least "some" odd rounds , to me anyway. But 308 and 9mm popular stuff Unavailable.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
I think their availability will reduce as the more popular rounds are first to receive the raw material like primers and power but I don't think it will ever drop to nothing because there is only so much capacity on those lines and only so many raw materials like casings and bullets.

Since retooling the less popular lines to the higher demand stuff would probably take at least 16-24 months they'll still be producing but probably hovering at like 30-75% rather than 100%. However, since the popularity of those rounds is so small they'll still have a small stocking. I see .224 Valkyrie on the shelf regularly still (granted I don't know how odd that is but I don't think it is a popular round).

The market that will see the lower availability would be the reloading one because all the primers and bullets and casings they have are going to be dedicated to feeding the beast.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
When I have zoomed around looking for ammo I did find lots or at least "some" odd rounds , to me anyway. But 308 and 9mm popular stuff Unavailable.
I took a peek today. Sportsmans outdoor superstore has both of those in stock. Limited varieties of 308, but many in 9mm...you just have to pay over a dollar a round to get it.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I was in my Wal-Mart sporting goods looking for long John's yesterday. The only ammo on the shelf was 2 boxes of 28 gauge. I'd forgotten all about that.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
🔴LIVE! Ammo Company Won't Let Biden Voters Purchase Ammo & MORE
Enjoyed this video - jump to 32:50 for actual story

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Thats not even funny,,, my Ex cleaned my reloading area one time and tossed out about 500 AA hulls,, BECAUSE THEY WERE OLD AND SHOT!!! A very freighting calm ensued after wards
Yikes!!!o_O

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
(for those that shoot w/out ear protection)

Three old rifle shooters are out walking. First one says, "Windy, isn't it?" Second one says,
"No, its Thursday!" Third one says, "So am I. Let's go get a beer."

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
It's not only ammo, but also gun parts. I like to build different calibers on the AR platform (as well as 5.56) and good luck finding uppers, lowers, or any parts for that matter. Bravo and Palmetto have maybe one or two of a certain part in stock if you're lucky, and 4 pages of "out of stock".

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
They definitely need some .22s in that poker game Fordtech.

It's not only ammo, but also gun parts. I like to build different calibers on the AR platform (as well as 5.56) and good luck finding uppers, lowers, or any parts for that matter. Bravo and Palmetto have maybe one or two of a certain part in stock if you're lucky, and 4 pages of "out of stock".
It's gonna be a waiting game for sure. Until everyone gets the buying-up-everything in sight out of their system, it will stay this way. I think we're in for a much longer wait this time. This also has the added effect of raising prices. After every buying frenzy since I started reloading 9 years ago, I have noticed prices never completely normalize and the new price for a container of powder and other components increases a bit more. There is usually a slight increase every year anyway. The prices on some things go back down better, but powder in particular does not seem to. Primers will probably be the same way now.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I had got a magazine offer a couple months ago for Fish&Game magazine. It was $5. for 12 issues. I figured for $5. bucks I'm in. The Issue I got yesterday in the editors section said they had contacted Jason Hornady of Hornady Manafacturing and also contacted Jason Vanderbrink president of Federal/CCI ammunition to ask Where's The Ammo ??
Both debunked rumors that the goverment was buying up ammo in any way. Hornady said weekly they hear a new conspiracy rumor of some kind. "Its simply the toilet paper and GermX scenario" he said. Supply and demand. "we've added more staff and are working to double out put capacity within the next year. But it doesn't happen over night". "New Boxed Ammo literary sits on the pallet one day before its shipped".
A good editorial indeed to think one day soon we might see ammo showing up again.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
And you can add in to it the raw materials, scrap brass for casings lead which is getting pretty hard to find,, There are at least 2 guys I know that have been mining every sports mans clubs for scrap lead and fired brass of any kind. Chemicals for powder, and priming compound has gone up due to this pandemic with less people working. Along with over 8 million new firearms owners sucking up ammo, just to be sure they have some. All these things together make it really expencive for a person to shoot and train,, I cant train any more, because I lost everything I had in that boating accident.