Could anyone please tell me whats going on with my mower deck?

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
I might be wrong but I think that you might need the longer belt and it is routed along my "masterfully edited" green lines in the photo:
20210619_152922 new.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Marcu5

Equipment
G1900
Jun 13, 2021
Wales, uk
I think your right in installing the belt like what the pic of the bx shows. Your main drive pulley is going to slip badly the way you have it right now. The main drive pulley should have the belt wrapped bascially half way around the pulley.Like what the bx pic shows. Your pic is showing a L shape where the belt is making contact which is going to slip.
Yes! That's exactly what I'm thinking- that plus the problem that adjusting the tension seems to create in this configuration, too slack or pushed up against itself running in the opposite direction.
I did notice that the main pulley from the mower gearbox seemed to be the one slipping first, even though the middle blade was cutting the grass whilst the outer 2 were just knocking it down.
The only problem I see with rerouting the belt is will the blades still rotate the correct way?
Unfortunately I didn't inherit the engineering brain from my grandfather so trying to work that out just leaves me with a headache and no answers. 🤣

Marcu5

Equipment
G1900
Jun 13, 2021
Wales, uk
I might be wrong but I think that you might need the longer belt and it is routed along my "masterfully edited" green lines in the photo: View attachment 61804
Yes yes yes! Thank you- that's exactly what I have in mind and what I'm going to try. Even though that configuration is set out in my mind your masterfully edited diagram really does help immensely. Much easier than blurry internet photos or my apparent V-velt dyslexia!
Can you work out if the blades will still turn the same way with this belt configuration?

Last edited:

Marcu5

Equipment
G1900
Jun 13, 2021
Wales, uk
*The belt that the deck has eaten is a blue/green reinforced OEM Kubota/mitsuboshi of correct width and shape as well as are the other 2 belts of slightly different lengths.*
I haven't tried non OEM belts of 'in between' sizes yet as I believe that might end up an expensive way to short term 'fix' the problem at best but not cure the cause of the problem.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I know you showed a photo of your mower deck model number but that exact model does not come up when I look for parts.

The goal of an idler pulley is to ensure the degree of wrap around an important pulley is sufficient to transmit the torque loads. In your case the most important pulley is the one on the gear box.

I suggest you ask yourself if it is possible someone modified your deck before you got it. With the idler where it is now you do not have much wrap around the gear box pulley compared to arrangements where the idler is on the other side of the deck..

Remove your idler. I think you will find only a small hole is needed to mount the pivot. Look for a similar sized hole on the opposite side of the deck.

Dave

arto98607

Equipment
Kubota F3060, Grasshopper 721D, Ford 1310, JD 440 ICD, JD 300
Aug 24, 2014
Southwest WA State
I might be wrong but I think that you might need the longer belt and it is routed along my "masterfully edited" green lines in the photo: View attachment 61804
This looks far better in regards to gearbox pulley to belt (or driving pulley) contact being way longer, but I think the spindles would have to rotate counter clockwise in order to make it work properly.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
This looks far better in regards to gearbox pulley to belt (or driving pulley) contact being way longer, but I think the spindles would have to rotate counter clockwise in order to make it work properly.
I agree. An idler pulley should be after a driving pulley. If the direction was clockwise in that picture, then there would be a lot of slipping.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
XRs 'green belt' looks correct to me as belt needs to be 1/2 or better 'wrapped' around pulleys for good power transfer. blades all spin the same and tensioner looks right.
I'd have thought a WSM or OPM would have the belt 'routing' ? Maybe an online parts dealer picture ??

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
The only problem I see with rerouting the belt is will the blades still rotate the correct way?
Unfortunately I didn't inherit the engineering brain from my grandfather so trying to work that out just leaves me with a headache and no answers. 🤣
Looking at the pic shows that the belt is still going to be driving the blades the proper way and the tension on the blades /pulleys will be fine.

Marcu5

Equipment
G1900
Jun 13, 2021
Wales, uk
Thank you everyone for your help- as advised I rerouted the belt following the green lines using the longer belt and Bingo! It works!

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
Thank you everyone for your help- as advised I rerouted the belt following the green lines using the longer belt and Bingo! It works!
I figured someone didn't remember the right routing of the belt. Now that you have it properly routed take a pic and keep it in your files in case you ever need it for future refrence

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Just a curiosity question. How much clearance do you have between the belt and the grease fitting on the pivot point for the idler? That was the only question in my mind when I saw xrocketengineer's suggestion...

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
Marcu5, do the blades spin "anti clockwise" the and exit chute is on the left side? That would clear the whole mystery.

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada

No matter what you do, until you move the tensioner to the other side of the drive pulley you'll never get enough wrap to really drive the deck. After you do that route the belt like this pic https://www.dropbox.com/s/1xk32yevwx9le9o/Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 7.49.14 PM.png?dl=0. The belt is 5/8" x 34".
Please check the early photos posted by the Owner. it is my impression his deck discharges on the left side which flips your argument re side for tension pulley.

Dave

Marcu5

Equipment
G1900
Jun 13, 2021
Wales, uk
The deck is rear discharge.
*The problem is now fixed by rerouting the 96 inch belt as suggested by rocket engineer*

The tension pulley is in the original factory position which works fine now the belt is rerouted correctly with enough room around grease points etc.

Marcu5

Equipment
G1900
Jun 13, 2021
Wales, uk
Some extra background info; I purchased the mower as a running project but the deck wasn't working. On taking off the covers it looked like someone had tried to fit a belt but gave up.
Whilst my deck is rear discharge (Rc48-g20R) I could only find diagrams and photos of side discharge decks (Rc48-g20K). My mistake was presuming that the belt fitted the same way on both decks which wasn't the case.
Once again- thank you everyone for your help.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
You might like to take a picture of how it's now setup, copy to PC,flashdrive,send as email to yourself,drawing under the deck cover AND print it out.......The more places you save the info , the less chance you'll need it anytime soon.

Also, when done for the season, remove belt from tensioner and let it 'relax'. Storing them for months is kinda hard on the belt.