Correct Hydraulic oil??

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I have my WC-68 Woodland Mills chipper on order. I received an email from them suggesting I have 5 gal of ISO 32 hydraulic oil to put in it.
Seems like a lot of oils come up when I do a google search. . .

Anybody suggest an actual oil brand - even TSC comes up with 2 different products

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I have my WC-68 Woodland Mills chipper on order. I received an email from them suggesting I have 5 gal of ISO 32 hydraulic oil to put in it.
Seems like a lot of oils come up when I do a google search. . .

Anybody suggest an actual oil brand - even TSC comes up with 2 different products
When I got my WC68 I was so particular about what went in my Kubota HST (still am) I decided to call Woodland Mills to ask them EXACTLY what to put in it. The tech service guy was very nice and understanding but said something to the effect of it’s not a HST type super sensitive thing, just put 5 gallons of decent ISO32 in it. I ended up using The Valvoline in the pics but not saying that’s ideal or better than anything else.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
Pick a good quality name brand hydraulic oil. Although some of the stores brands are fine too. Tractor Supply and Walmart both use quality vendors for their products. I don't see an ISO 32 listed at Tractor supply though.

Straight hydraulic oils are some of the more basic lubes you will find.

A number of the premium grades of hydraulic oils will act a a multi-grade so you would be able to run an ISO 46 which would behave like an ISO 32 in colder temps and maintain the ISO 46 protection at higher temps.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I run a high flow Kubota track loader with large hydraulic attachments, my dealer in Northern Michigan recommends ISO 46 for winter and summer use, I purchased Kubota brand and use it in other hydraulic equipment too like my log splitter.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Thanks all! another decision I didn't want to overthink :) but ya never know. . .

Reactions: 1 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
In the same boat with ya ctfjr, and still need to go pick up a bucket before my chipper (same model as yours) gets here. I spent a bit of time staring at and trying to decipher the secret code in the oil charts, and finally decided that a good premium grade ISO46 oil (not cheap stuff) was the way to go. ISO 46 is relatively easy to find and not too expensive in most cases. Couldn't find any advantage of trying to stay with the same oil used by the HST. That stuff is pricy. You have a single pump turning a single motor with only one restriction (flow control) in the line. That isn't going to generate much heat/oil degradation, even in the heaviest use. Other than water contamination, there really isn't much to worry about, but I would try to keep the chipper covered when not in used. Check the tank often to make sure there's no water in it, because water droplets in hydraulic oil become acidic, and will eat the bottom out of the tank. I seriously doubt the inside of the tank is coated, but I'm hoping Woodland Mills can make a liar out of me. I see UpNorthMI is using ISO46 up there in the Great White North, so I'd suggest the same anywhere in the Lower 48 is a good idea. It's what I'm gonna use down here in the sunny south. Keep your bucket, because that's a vented tank, and you will get some hygroscopic absorption of moisture in the oil, particularly if it sits a long time through cooling/heating cycles. If you can't store the chipper inside, you're probably going to want to change that oil every couple years, depending on how much duty it sees. I'm considering a tank warmer to keep the oil warm in mine while it's in storage.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Mornin' Old_Paint
I received a msg from Woodland Mills with the pro # and early this am got one from the trucker. They are delivering it to one of our branches tomorrow. They in turn will drop it off here.
Of course the ballast box I just filled with concrete is sitting in the basement right where the chipper is going. Since I can only get the box out with the lifting eye I have to wait several days for curing. Never thought they would ship that chipper so fast :)
Thanks for the iso 46 note. I guess I have to go get something now but no real rush, not going to be using it for weeks.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I went with the recommended ISO32 basic hyd oil from Canadian Tire. I also asked W Mills about using UDT oil from the tractor. They said no, go with straight ISO32. Ok with me! Way cheaper too.