clutch problem ?

zajch

Equipment
L4400, B6000
Oct 23, 2020
VT
L4400 DT (manual shift) Suspect clutch problem. The tractor RPMs do not drop out while the speed of the tractor does.. The engine runs normally without any hicups.
It does not grind when I shift gears. There is not any unusual sounds.

The engine continues to run normal but the wheels stop turning or slow down to a crawl even if I am in 1st or 4th gear.
When the tractor slows down and I load it by sliding the bucket on the ground the tractor stops moving forward or reverse even though the engine continues to run normally
Another example of the speed bogging down is if I am going up a slight incline sometimes the tractor comes to a stop even though the engine continues to run normally.
The engine does not bog down.
If I down shift I am able to continue moving even though I do not have much power.

Is this a clutch problem?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
L4400 DT (manual shift) Suspect clutch problem. The tractor RPMs do not drop out while the speed of the tractor does.. The engine runs normally without any hicups.
It does not grind when I shift gears. There is not any unusual sounds.

The engine continues to run normal but the wheels stop turning or slow down to a crawl even if I am in 1st or 4th gear.
When the tractor slows down and I load it by sliding the bucket on the ground the tractor stops moving forward or reverse even though the engine continues to run normally
Another example of the speed bogging down is if I am going up a slight incline sometimes the tractor comes to a stop even though the engine continues to run normally.
The engine does not bog down.
If I down shift I am able to continue moving even though I do not have much power.

Is this a clutch problem?
Yes clutch problem.

Does your pedal have any free play before you can feel pressure on the pedal increase?

If the answer if yes there is some free play the a new clutch will be my answer.

If the answer if NO free play, firsst try adjusting to achieve some free play but it it has been slipping as much as you describe, it is likely worn out.

Dave

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Agree with Dave

pretty common with gear drive tractors when the operator uses the loader for loader work and doesn't use the clutch properly (riding the clutch going into a pile, etc). Every time the clutch is slipped it wears it a tiny bit. That's where the HST comes in, frequent directional changes are where the hst shines. Rare to put a clutch in an HST tractor. I think in 30 years I did 2. I did 2 DT clutches a month.

zajch

Equipment
L4400, B6000
Oct 23, 2020
VT
Yes clutch problem.

Does your pedal have any free play before you can feel pressure on the pedal increase?

If the answer if yes there is some free play the a new clutch will be my answer.

If the answer if NO free play, firsst try adjusting to achieve some free play but it it has been slipping as much as you describe, it is likely worn out.

Dave
Yes there is a lot of free play before I can feel pressure on the pedal. As I release the pedal the clutch does not start to engage until at least 2/3 of the clutch travel has been released. If the answer was No where would I attempt to adjust the clutch play?

Greg

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Yes there is a lot of free play before I can feel pressure on the pedal. As I release the pedal the clutch does not start to engage until at least 2/3 of the clutch travel has been released. If the answer was No where would I attempt to adjust the clutch play?

Greg
Greg
The symptom of too much clutch play would be grinding when trying to change gears which is not your issue. This because you would not be able to fully release the clutch.

Clutch adjustment is shown in the illustration below.

forum L4400 clutch.jpg

Dave

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
One thing you might want to check, even tho it sounds kind of unlikely, is the rear rim spinning inside the tire. In other words, you may have lost bead lock. Don't laugh, there are documented cases on this board where it has happened, especially if running loaded tires.

zajch

Equipment
L4400, B6000
Oct 23, 2020
VT
Looks like it is the clutch. Mechanic has a clutch assembly on order. Should be another week before it is installed.