Carryall/fork aerial work platform

retiree-urgency abandoned

Equipment
B3350, Kub. 5" rotary cutter, LP 48" forks, Titan Aerial Platform, KK XB Dump
Dec 1, 2020
Bloomington, IN
Just put together my carryall/fork aerial work platform for my Kubota B3350 - version 1.0. I needed a stable work platform that would get me 7' - 8' in the air to clean up a lot of pine trees (safely), I wanted to have an organized work area when I'm in the air and after looking at the great carryall solutions from other contributors to this site, thought that I'd have this thing do double duty as a work platform and general purpose carryall (for non aerial work).

If cost and weight weren't an issue, I would have liked to have a custom fabricated double-duty rig that could fit on my forks as well as hang from my 3PH Cat 1 quicktach. However the Kubota forks are pretty heavy, so remaining FEL weight (and payload) were definitely an issue and cost was a consideration, too, so I started with the Titan Attachment 36" x 36" work platform (a little under $300, delivered) - https://www.palletforks.com/industr...tform-safety-cage-36-inchx36-inch/194133.html and added some tweaks.

I don't have welding equipment, but I do have plenty of scrap wood, so my carry-all additions were pretty simple and within my skillset. I wanted as much clear space as possible for aerial work, so most of the carryall stuff is built onto the platform frame that's closest to the tractor. The 2 x 10 work surface has come in handy - especially in the air. I built a separate 2 shelf outrigger for gas, oil & heavy toolbox that can hang from the platform rails on either side or be removed - sometimes you need one side free, sometimes the other and sometimes both sides.

Since I'm working solo, I get it into position and then climb up the ladder to work. Initially, I tried a rope fire escape ladder, but without anchoring to the ground, when I climbed it, the ladder would curl under the platform - thus the aluminum ladder. If I find one of those folding ladders cheap or at a yard sale, I'll switch to that (a little easier for transport and storage). I'm sure there will be more tweaks as I use it more.

A couple of safety considerations:

1. I tether the ladder to the platform - that way I can retrieve/reposition the ladder if it gets knocked by a falling branch. Only took one time losing the ladder to incorporate this ...

2. Because of the weight of the forks and platform payload (including me), I leave the bushhog mounted on the 3PH - eliminates the possibility of front-heavy tipping

3. I always keep a walkie talkie on me in the field (the other one in the house with my wife) - both turned on. Stuff can and does happen!

Finally thanks to everyone who shares their knowledge on this site - I've learned so much and solved a lot of problems as a result of this tractor brain trust!

Carryall-in action.jpg
Carryall-front view.jpg
Carryall-detail of 2 shelf outrigger.jpg
Carryall-detail of 2 shelf outrigger-2.jpg
Carryall-left side view.jpg
Carryall-right side view.jpg
Carryall-detail of pruner saw & chainsaw.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Nice. I did something similar but used a $40 IBC tote frame. Added a saw holder to it as well.

Cherry picker 2.JPG

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Well, you now have something that works well for you. There's nothing wrong with that.

You can still upgrade your beer.

Reactions: 1 user

6feettogo

Equipment
B2650
Apr 22, 2020
Newman Lake, Wa
Just put together my carryall/fork aerial work platform for my Kubota B3350 - version 1.0. I needed a stable work platform that would get me 7' - 8' in the air to clean up a lot of pine trees (safely), I wanted to have an organized work area when I'm in the air and after looking at the great carryall solutions from other contributors to this site, thought that I'd have this thing do double duty as a work platform and general purpose carryall (for non aerial work).

If cost and weight weren't an issue, I would have liked to have a custom fabricated double-duty rig that could fit on my forks as well as hang from my 3PH Cat 1 quicktach. However the Kubota forks are pretty heavy, so remaining FEL weight (and payload) were definitely an issue and cost was a consideration, too, so I started with the Titan Attachment 36" x 36" work platform (a little under $300, delivered) - https://www.palletforks.com/industr...tform-safety-cage-36-inchx36-inch/194133.html and added some tweaks.

I don't have welding equipment, but I do have plenty of scrap wood, so my carry-all additions were pretty simple and within my skillset. I wanted as much clear space as possible for aerial work, so most of the carryall stuff is built onto the platform frame that's closest to the tractor. The 2 x 10 work surface has come in handy - especially in the air. I built a separate 2 shelf outrigger for gas, oil & heavy toolbox that can hang from the platform rails on either side or be removed - sometimes you need one side free, sometimes the other and sometimes both sides.

Since I'm working solo, I get it into position and then climb up the ladder to work. Initially, I tried a rope fire escape ladder, but without anchoring to the ground, when I climbed it, the ladder would curl under the platform - thus the aluminum ladder. If I find one of those folding ladders cheap or at a yard sale, I'll switch to that (a little easier for transport and storage). I'm sure there will be more tweaks as I use it more.

A couple of safety considerations:

1. I tether the ladder to the platform - that way I can retrieve/reposition the ladder if it gets knocked by a falling branch. Only took one time losing the ladder to incorporate this ...

2. Because of the weight of the forks and platform payload (including me), I leave the bushhog mounted on the 3PH - eliminates the possibility of front-heavy tipping

3. I always keep a walkie talkie on me in the field (the other one in the house with my wife) - both turned on. Stuff can and does happen!

Finally thanks to everyone who shares their knowledge on this site - I've learned so much and solved a lot of problems as a result of this tractor brain trust!

View attachment 51504 View attachment 51503 View attachment 51500 View attachment 51501 View attachment 51505 View attachment 51506 View attachment 51502
I bought one of those also and I do have one suggestion. I would recommend getting some non skid tape and put it in the bottom of the basket. It is very slippery.

retiree-urgency abandoned

Equipment
B3350, Kub. 5" rotary cutter, LP 48" forks, Titan Aerial Platform, KK XB Dump
Dec 1, 2020
Bloomington, IN
Thanks for the tape idea. Haven't used it in wet conditions yet, but a roll of non-skid tape sounds like a good investment in self-preservation!