CaCl in ballast for winter?

mariposawrick

Equipment
L4150DT, FEL, BH
Oct 31, 2012
Mariposa, CA
I have an L4150DT (new to me) with recent R4 tires on rear that have ballast from dealer in central California. I am using it in foothills where we get freezing temps several times during winter. I am 3000 feet, so I experience the temp change overnight for a couple days if it gets that low. Should I have the loaded tires treated with the Calcium Chloride additive recommended by Kubota for anti-freeze? Or does the air space give enough cushion for the temporary freeze? Thanks, Chad in Mariposa, CA

WingNut

Equipment
L2850 Kubota c/w Loader
Feb 29, 2012
Northern Ontario
I have recently purchased a used L2850 Kubota and have noticed the rear tires are loaded as well. I assume they are loaded with Calcium Chloride, but I always thought that it was the percentage of calcium chloride that kept them from freezing, is this not the case ? I live in northern Ontario, Canada so I'll be finding out very shortly as it is getting below freezing at night already.
P.S. : can't view Y-Tube videos for some reason.

fast*st

Equipment
M7040, L2900, F550 ford, Yanmar vio70 excavator, Case 580, JD 350 dozer, JD 644E
Jun 26, 2012
Northern Mass
Usually the calcium chloride isn't there so much for antifreeze as it is for weight, there are several products at the dealers that are far less corrosive than the calcium chloride. Deere uses corn byproduct, ballasting products are usually 13lb per gallon verusus 8 for water. The stuff that Deere uses smells like poo, its heavy and it melts snow/ice like mad, and is used on tubeless painted rims.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Calcium chloride won't freeze but unless you have tubes get ready for your wheels to be eaten from the inside out. It's not if it will happen but when. It would be a real PIA but it would be worth while to drain the tires, remove the tires and wheels so they could be cleaned up and repainted. Then go back with water and antifreeze.

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
www.orangetractortalks.com
Hello there - welcome to the site and the forums! Ballasting your tires can also be for weight gain (and traction) reasons. We actually have a good article comparing the different types of tire ballast folks typically consider using:

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/2009/01/comparing-types-of-liquid-tire-ballast/

If you have the money, beet juice is a good bet. All natural, good antifreeze properties and it will not corrode your equipment or "scorch earth" your nearby vegetation like CaCl will once you need to get rid of it.

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
My 2004 Kubota L3400 had filled rear tires when I purchased it. I took a sample and stuck it in the freezer to see if it would freeze...it wouldn't. I am 99% sure it is CaCl so I initially panicked then researched. I will also say the tires are very full of fluid even when stems are at 12:00 all you get is fluid coming out. Anyhow, from what I could find is as long as the fluid completely keeps the rim submerged it will not rust due to the absense of oxygen. Not sure if that is 100% correct but many major equipment and tire suppliers still recommend using CaCl for ballast. Time will tell...

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Bosshogg, from my experience the cacl with eat your wheels up no matter what. That is some nasty stuff. It was in the tires on my 7100 and all 4 wheels were eatin from the inside out. I refused to let the dealer put it in my L3000 even though it was going to be free. Wheels cost way more than paying for anti-freeze and doing it yourself.

DanDan

Equipment
BX1860, L2600DT
Sep 21, 2012
SoCal
I have an L4150DT (new to me) with recent R4 tires on rear that have ballast from dealer in central California. I am using it in foothills where we get freezing temps several times during winter. I am 3000 feet, so I experience the temp change overnight for a couple days if it gets that low. Should I have the loaded tires treated with the Calcium Chloride additive recommended by Kubota for anti-freeze? Or does the air space give enough cushion for the temporary freeze? Thanks, Chad in Mariposa, CA
I'd be surprised if the tires came loaded from the dealer with straight H20...
Why not try bosshog's trick: take a sample of what comes out of one of the rear tires and see if it will freeze. If it freezes, then you have an issue.

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
My tractor came from Florida with plain H2O in the tires,
Here in Vermont that would not do.
Took it to the dealer who vacuum pumped out all the water and filled the tires with beet juice to just below the valve when it is at 12 o'clock position