BX2380 Rear wheels, are they "sided" ?

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Owned my new BX2380 <1 week and had a tire going flat in about 2 days, so dealer came up today and swapped in a new wheel and the valve stem is on the "inside" and the rim looks different from the other one.

Does it matter?

Looks to have the same wheel offset (sticks out from fender the same distance on both sides) and I don't think the tread pattern is unidirectional.

Other than a minor visual difference and the valve stem sticking in, rather than out, do I need to worry about it?

I mentioned it to the guy (who was not a mechanic, but a sales team member (I believe) but he said it didn't make any difference other than to protect the valve stem a wee bit, being on the inside.

Cheers

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Well there may be a lot of problems or none at all...
Most wheels should have the valve stem inside. But if yours were not inside then you could have rims that can be turned different directions on the inner wheel disc.

Look at the original and see if it has any bolts attaching the rim of the wheel to the disc. Usually this is for agricultural tires (R1) that do need to be in the correct direction to work well.

Compare the tire size of old to new which MUST be the same.

And I would insist that both rims be the same so perhaps they will repair your original tire and replace it?

ve9aa

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Hello All

5 minutes after I posted this question I just felt so weird about it all, so I went outside and flipped the wheel around.
Even though what I know about tractors you could fit on the head of a pin, it just didn't seem right to have one wheel of 4 with it's valve pointed in, underneath the tractor, not out where they are easily accessible.

I've owned a TG1860 16yrs and classic (and other) cars longer than that, and normally wheels are not put on backwards.

So, really my question now becomes rhetorical. I was unable to delete it.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Hello All

5 minutes after I posted this question I just felt so weird about it all, so I went outside and flipped the wheel around.
Even though what I know about tractors you could fit on the head of a pin, it just didn't seem right to have one wheel of 4 with it's valve pointed in, underneath the tractor, not out where they are easily accessible.

I've owned a TG1860 16yrs and classic (and other) cars longer than that, and normally wheels are not put on backwards.

So, really my question now becomes rhetorical. I was unable to delete it.
No, it is actually a great question.

On my BX and B2910 all the valve stems are on the outside. Inside would be a pain.

Question is, are BX rims designed to be reversible? I don’t think so, but don’t know for sure.

How about tread direction? Are both the same now? If turf tires it may make no difference. Ag tires difference would soon be apparent.

Hope someone who knows the answer for sure will chime in!

ve9aa

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Turf tires
Found this in my manual. Could be a very slight(?) difference in offset from center if 1 wheel is reversed.
I didn't measure it with a square and tape--just eyeballed it. Looked the same, but maybe not. At least I can see the rim is a different shape, moving away from the centerline. Not sure that matters or not.
They do show the air valve on out the outside of the wheel, like most people would mount them.
wheel rim.JPG

Last edited:

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
The valve stem MUST face outward on a BX series wheel or it won't stay tight. Like the wheels on your pickup, the rim only goes on one way.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The person installing the tire, didn't have a clue as to what he was doing! If you install the lug nuts incorrectly, you can damage the rim, and it will always work itself loose. This is why Kubota specifically calls out for the valve stem to face outward. I would remove the wheel, and see if the seating surface of the lug nut has been distorted. If so, put the tire and rim into your car, and take it back to the dealer, and explain what there salesman had done, and insist that they replace it. Incompetence at its finest!

Reactions: 1 user

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
Easiest thing to do is look at the rim's holes. The nuts are all tapered so they need to seat into the tapered holes on the rims. EG: the holes on the rims are concaved one side and convexed the other side . Just make sure the concave side faces the outside so the wheel nuts fit into them properly !!

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan
I can't believe I had to read so far before someone came up with the reason for the right answer. Tapered holes.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I can't believe I had to read so far before someone came up with the reason for the right answer. Tapered holes.
Me neither, you should have known that before you started reading! LOL

Actually some tractor wheels do not have tapered holes, as they can be reversed to change tire width. I have a BX but could not remember if the wheel holes were tapered or not! AND I just put spacers on it last summer!