BX2350 losing power on small hill

SpokaneDude

Equipment
BX2350, FM 125 tiller, Land Pride blade, BotaProducts fuel & HST filter mods
Oct 24, 2020
Spokane, WA
This is my first post... my BX2350 (purchased in 2006) never had any serious problems with it until now. When going up a minor steep hill (driveway) it acts like it has no power and is going to die; by moving the hand throttle up and down quickly, I can get it to move up the hill and back to the shed.

So I have been reading all of the possible causes, and I believe I have either water in the fuel (regular diesel fuel) or some other contaminate. My plan therefore is to purchase a Racor diesel fuel filter/water separator. But since my tractor is almost ancient, I have several questions:
  1. what Racor filter/water separator model will do the job on this tractor
  2. do I still need the factory fuel filters, or will the Racor replace them (currently it has only 1 filter, but Kubota Dealer parts man said I need two plastic factory filters)
  3. where is the best place to install it? (close to the tank or closer to the engine?)
  4. I noticed contaminates in the bottom of the 5 gal fuel container which I think might have gotten into the tank when refilling it this afternoon; so, drain the tank, and replenish the diesel fuel using a Mr Funnel AF8CB that I just ordered using same fuel purchased today?
That should get me going; in advance, thank your for any responses to help me out...

SpokaneDude

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
so you want to place a remote filter.....

your machine should have two filters ...... one before and one after the pump..... I might be wrong...but most BX's have two ..... later models for sure.

the racor number most (including me) is the RT12T .
10 micron .... placed BEFORE the pump.....
then routed through the pump BACK to the stock filter before the injector pump.

You need to filter your fuel before placing into the tank.....

this works wonders!

here is my solution ....... it was not that bad of a job.

IF you need specifics ..... ask away !

2020-10-19 17.57.54.jpg
2020-05-13 18.30.14.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

SpokaneDude

Equipment
Oct 24, 2020
Spokane, WA
so you want to place a remote filter.....

your machine should have two filters ...... one before and one after the pump..... I might be wrong...but most BX's have two ..... later models for sure.

the racor number most (including me) is the RT12T .
10 micron .... placed BEFORE the pump.....
then routed through the pump BACK to the stock filter before the injector pump.

You need to filter your fuel before placing into the tank.....

this works wonders!

here is my solution ....... it was not that bad of a job.

IF you need specifics ..... ask away !

View attachment 49727

SpokaneDude

Equipment
Oct 24, 2020
Spokane, WA
Thank you for responding; exactly the info I was looking for; I will order the RT12T today and will get back to you for any details I might need for the installation. By the way, where exactly did you install it on your tractor, and which model tractor do you have?

One more question: I see the filter, what is the part it goes into?

Thanks, SD

Last edited:

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
This is the one i bought for my BX23S. It comes with everything, including a bolt-on bracket for the filter housing. It also has a shut off valve so that you dont have to pinch any fuel hoses just to change the filter. This filter kit does not hang down below the FEL frame tube either. Filter is OEM Kubota too, so no waiting for filters to arrive or running around looking for filters. Its always in stock at the Kubota dealers.

SpokaneDude

Equipment
Oct 24, 2020
Spokane, WA
Is the Kubota filter for diesel fuel and water separation also? and, will this housing hold the Racor RT12T filter?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Is the Kubota filter for diesel fuel and water separation also? and, will this housing hold the Racor RT12T filter?
If you look carefully - there is not a water release valve - so any water in this particular filter will sit in the bottom of the filter until such a time the water rises or the filter removed.

The racor is a water separating filter - and once you spin the plastic drain valve - it will empty with water without taking the filter off.

the entire problem here despite whatever filter you choose it to place it high enough and far enough from the front wheels and "sticks" and other things that might "hit it"

the racor is an expensive filter - I found mine on ebay, that total cost with all parts - 5/16-8mm elbows, hose and fitler was less than $125.

notice this ONE ......
this is NOT a genuine RACOR filter .... a china knock off - buyer beware !!!!!!

this one is a genuine filter (number is different)

the fuel line and elbows can be bought almost anywhere - on while on the subject...... get "good" clamps - high pressure fuel clamps, trust me - these work very well!

Reactions: 1 users

SpokaneDude

Equipment
Oct 24, 2020
Spokane, WA
This is the one i bought for my BX23S. It comes with everything, including a bolt-on bracket for the filter housing. It also has a shut off valve so that you dont have to pinch any fuel hoses just to change the filter. This filter kit does not hang down below the FEL frame tube either. Filter is OEM Kubota too, so no waiting for filters to arrive or running around looking for filters. Its always in stock at the Kubota dealers.

I just bought this for my BX2350; talked to Mike to correct my email address, and got a lot of good information from him, like how to clean the fuel tank, etc. Very impressed, and looking forward to getting it late next week...

Thank you for pointing me to his website.. .I would never have thought to look for a replacement.

SD

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
I just bought this for my BX2350; talked to Mike to correct my email address, and got a lot of good information from him, like how to clean the fuel tank, etc. Very impressed, and looking forward to getting it late next week...

Thank you for pointing me to his website.. .I would never have thought to look for a replacement.

SD
Congrats, i think you`ll like it. Its real easy to install. If you get into trouble, Mike is a GREAT guy, he will go the extra mile for his customers, and he is always available. I always try to buy my Kubota stuff from Mike and Sandy first if i can, because his caring for his customers is outstanding. With his filter kit`s, there is nothing else you need to install it except your wrench`s and a little time. I bought this kit for mine when i first bought my BX23S in 2017, and i have had ZERO issues with this kit.

I did mark a couple witness marks on the housing ring and body with a sharpie pen. That way i could re-tighten it to the exact same spot every time when i change the filter. Just before winter this year, i`m going to replace the filter. Not because its dirty or anything, its because it still has the original filter in it that Mike sent with the filter kit when i bought it a couple years ago. That way it will be fresh and ready for winter.

As @85Hokie says, be cautious in knowing that the AUX filters hanging off the frame, can get you in a bit of trouble if you`re running around with sticks flying up from the wheels! "the entire problem here despite whatever filter you choose it to place it high enough and far enough from the front wheels and "sticks" and other things that might "hit it" " I agree 100% with his statement! It can happen if your not careful!

;)

Last edited:

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
Yes, water will go to the bottom and you`ll be able to see it. If you`re getting water in the filter housing, it is of my own opinion, its time to clean the tank, and replace the filter anyway. Its not hard to turn the valve off, empty the cup, replace the filter, good to go. I will have to say, i`ve been very fortunate, i`ve never once got water in this filter kit. I`ve never had to change it. But i will be this year before winter just for safe measures.

No, the recor filter wont work with this botaproduct filter kit. But the kool thing about the botaproduct filter kit is, is that you can go to any kubota dealer and buy a replacement filter. The dealers always have this filter in stock. It is used on a few of their bigger tractors. I usually keep 3 or 4 of them on the shelf in my shop. That saves me time when i dont have to stop and run to the dealer in an emergency freeze up. Ice in the winter can happen easily, its best to have a couple filters on hand, if you know what i mean. The filters are pretty cheap. Buy extras!

Last edited:

SpokaneDude

Equipment
Oct 24, 2020
Spokane, WA
Yes, water will go to the bottom and you`ll be able to see it. If you`re getting water in the filter housing, it is of my own opinion, its time to clean the tank, and replace the filter anyway. Its not hard to turn the valve off, empty the cup, replace the filter, good to go. I will have to say, i`ve been very fortunate, i`ve never once got water in this filter kit. I`ve never had to change it. But i will be this year before winter just for safe measures.

No, the recor filter wont work with this botaproduct filter kit. But the kool thing about the botaproduct filter kit is, is that you can go to any kubota dealer and buy a replacement filter. The dealers always have this filter in stock. It is used on a few of their bigger tractors. I usually keep 3 or 4 of them on the shelf in my shop. That saves me time when i dont have to stop and run to the dealer in an emergency freeze up. Ice in the winter can happen easily, its best to have a couple filters on hand, if you know what i mean. The filters are pretty cheap. Buy extras!
Thank you, exactly the info I was looking for...

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
Thank you, exactly the info I was looking for...
Your welcome. I`ll never say its the best system on the market, but i will say it is the most convenient, for me. And i have had ZERO issues with my tractor with Mike`s BX filter kit. I`m not sure of the area where you live, or what fuel products you use, but i use the Power Service products to keep my fuel clean and from freezing since i bought my BX23S in 2017. My fuel filters are STILL super clean, and i`ve never had a running issue, ever. My neighbor friend bought this same kit too, same time i bought one, zero issues with his tractor.

Boatman

Equipment
Kubota L2800, Kubota BX1870
Nov 26, 2016
Mill Spring, NC, US
This is my first post... my BX2350 (purchased in 2006) never had any serious problems with it until now. When going up a minor steep hill (driveway) it acts like it has no power and is going to die; by moving the hand throttle up and down quickly, I can get it to move up the hill and back to the shed.

So I have been reading all of the possible causes, and I believe I have either water in the fuel (regular diesel fuel) or some other contaminate. My plan therefore is to purchase a Racor diesel fuel filter/water separator. But since my tractor is almost ancient, I have several questions:
  1. what Racor filter/water separator model will do the job on this tractor
  2. do I still need the factory fuel filters, or will the Racor replace them (currently it has only 1 filter, but Kubota Dealer parts man said I need two plastic factory filters)
  3. where is the best place to install it? (close to the tank or closer to the engine?)
  4. I noticed contaminates in the bottom of the 5 gal fuel container which I think might have gotten into the tank when refilling it this afternoon; so, drain the tank, and replenish the diesel fuel using a Mr Funnel AF8CB that I just ordered using same fuel purchased today?
That should get me going; in advance, thank your for any responses to help me out...

SpokaneDude

I had the same issue last year with my BX. I could go fine on the flat and down hill, but up hill was nearly impossible. What ended up the cause was one of the wires to the fuel pump had been severed. It was gravity feeding and going up hill there was less feed.

Check to see if your fuel pump is running.