Bought my first tractor

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Nice rig! Congratulations. Yeah, do that 50 hr stuff right away.
I never believe people “lost the paperwork” in a move or fire or any other such story.
Have you checked to see if the selling dealer has anything on it?

Cranblue

Feb 23, 2019
Lincolnton NC
I've been shopping for a Tractor for around a year and finally got lucky yesterday. 2015 L4701 HST with 125hrs, Grapple, Bucket, Brush hog and tiller. I'd been looking at new L2501's, but was concerned about lift capacity with the grapple, and the Kioti CK2610 but didn't love my local dealer. This popped up a couple hrs away on FB marketplace and I sent the guy a deposit immediatly. Decent tractors sell instantly around here. I ended up with a lot more tractor than I ever though I'd have, but I don't ever hear anyone complaining about having 'to much' tractor...

I don't believe it ever had its 50hr service. Which I believe involves changing 2 hydraulic filters and the engine oil/filter, so that will be my first project. I read there is no substitute for the Kubota hydraulic fluid. How much should I expect to loose changing the filters?

Only known issue is the guy told me that if you have the fuel filter/water separator bolted on correctly the tractor will starve for fuel, but if you let it dangle on the hoses it runs correctly.. Sounded made up to me but sure enough when I attached it the tractor ran out of gas, let it hang and it fired right back up. It looks filthy and definitely has some water in it so cleaning that will be one of the first things as well. All I can imagine that could be is trash/slime in the tank/lines? Tractor was stored outdoors.

Overall seems like a really nice machine. I'll be using it for woods clean-up and food plot preparation View attachment 53716 View attachment 53717 . View attachment 53718 View attachment 53719
Congrats on your tractor purchase !!! I have same tractor you won’t loose much hydro oil on filter change have new filter ready it’s easy access. As fuel water separator mine has stayed bolted sounds to me like a kink in hose or something if tractor won’t run with it bolted on.Good luck enjoy 👍

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Congrats on your new machine - you will do things you never thought imaginable!

AS for the filters ..... yes - gray paint, bad news ..... change them!

as for the hydraulic fluid - DO NOT place anything in there other than Kubota oil - I know, I know - other may say "any oil that meet Kubota specs" - but I will tell you this - that HST transmission is finicky and another "oil" in there would not be a good thing.

Personally - drop the filters and the oil - replace BOTH with Kubota brand - if you hear a "whine" while moving - the S-UDT2 will calm that down. That oil is expensive but well worth it - and perhaps you will not need to change it till 400 hours or so.

This is defitely the correct way to do things for sure!!

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I paint my new filters gray before changing them to retain the new look. I write the hours on the side of the can with a paint marker.

Regarding your oil question, ask yourself another question...is my tractor worth spending $250 on? The fits-all hydraulic oil at TSC is for that tractor in your collection that is older than dirt and leaks oil on the barn floor.

Reminds me of the guy that spent $7500 on a SLR camera with all the goodies and then complained that a roll of film was $3.50.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

nwjones18

Equipment
L4701 HST, RCR1872 Rotary Cutter, RTA1266 Tiller and Grapple
Jan 21, 2021
Warner Robins, GA
This is defitely the correct way to do things for sure!!
When I change the transmission oil in it I'll definitely get the real Kubota stuff, but I think in the short term I'm going to just change the HST filter and the engine oil/filter and grease everything. I'll give it a front to back change everything fluid replacement after I play with it a little bit. Its not at my house its on our hunting property, so I've got to plan my time to work on it. So far I've been suprised how little whine there is from the HST. I feel like my zero turn lawn mower is louder.

Also been reading up on servicing slip clutches on the implements.. Lots to learn!

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Only known issue is the guy told me that if you have the fuel filter/water separator bolted on correctly the tractor will starve for fuel, but if you let it dangle on the hoses it runs correctly.. Sounded made up to me but sure enough when I attached it the tractor ran out of gas, let it hang and it fired right back up. It looks filthy and definitely has some water in it so cleaning that will be one of the first things as well. All I can imagine that could be is trash/slime in the tank/lines? Tractor was stored outdoors.
Look at the hose from the fuel tank to the seperator, it's only 3"-4" long. I have found a couple of them that are kinked when the separator is mounted. The hose may be too long or too short on your unit.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Congrats on the new tractor - looks like a beauty! Use it well and safely!

nwjones18

Equipment
Jan 21, 2021
Warner Robins, GA
Look at the hose from the fuel tank to the seperator, it's only 3"-4" long. I have found a couple of them that are kinked when the separator is mounted. The hose may be too long or too short on your unit.
Took a look today and the hose on mine was probably 10in long and was kinked. I shortened it and reattached and all seems to be well.. I noticed in the owners manual it said to replace the fuel hoses every 2 years which I though sure sounded excessive, but these do seem to be getting a little soft.

Hard to believe the previous owner lived with that for 5 years when it was a 10min fix..

Reactions: 1 users

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Took a look today and the hose on mine was probably 10in long and was kinked. I shortened it and reattached and all seems to be well.. I noticed in the owners manual it said to replace the fuel hoses every 2 years which I though sure sounded excessive, but these do seem to be getting a little soft.

Hard to believe the previous owner lived with that for 5 years when it was a 10min fix..
Did you inspect the screen in the separator to see that it is not rusting from setting in the water?
Glad it was a simple fix.

nwjones18

Equipment
Jan 21, 2021
Warner Robins, GA
Did you inspect the screen in the separator to see that it is not rusting from setting in the water?
Glad it was a simple fix.
There was a little bit of rust starting on the base of the separator. I cleaned it up best I could and its on my shopping list when I get around to heading to the dealer. If its not to expensive I may just get a whole new glass bowl and spring. They didn't clean up great with the carb cleaner I had.

BX23S

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2022 Kubota L3901 FEL, BH, GRAPPLE, PALLET FORK, SNOW PLOW and Hard Canopy
Sep 1, 2018
ID
Very nice Kubota! Congrats and good luck with it.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Congrats and welcome, that’s a nice package of equipment.

While you are in the service mode, check and or change the front axle oil. Many users have found their new tractor front axle low or without oil.

Good luck with your new machine.

retired farmer

Equipment
tractor, loader, cutter, blade
May 25, 2020
sheridan
Reminds me of the guy that spent $7500 on a SLR camera with all the goodies and then complained that a roll of film was $3.50.
[/QUOTE]

Or the guy at the shotgun range who paid 10K for a shotgun and gripes about $7 box of shells....