Better way to see Hydraulic fluid level?

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
My 'new to me' 2013 L3800HST arrived about 4 months ago with 264 hours on the clock. Being no so much anal as I am careful I changed all the filters except the engine oil as it had 'changed at 260 hrs' written on it. I changed the hydraulic filters but not all the fluid - just the 2 gallons that spilled on my garage floor.
In adding back fluid I never saw anything come up in the sight glass. The fluid was so clear tho that if it went above the glass I don't know if I could tell the difference.
I've read threads about adding Deere color dye but that Kubota doesn't like it :(
Is there an answer? Is there a downside to overfilling?

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I would think a little overfilled shouldn't be a problem. Mine is slightly overfilled. If your tractor is like mine, it is very sensitive to being even slightly off level. It does not take much of an incline to show no fluid or to show it as overfilled. I'm assuming yours is similar, but the background is a bright white. Any color other than bright white through the window should mean you are looking at fluid.

I really have not had a tough time seeing my fluid. I decided to change my fluid at 50 hours. I did notice the fluid is much clearer after the fluid change. But, I still did not have much difficulty seeing the fluid. I use a flashlight when I check it though.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
“Kubota doesn’t like it” is B.S. They can claim they don’t like the atmosphere in your local community...but they’d have to PROVE that is what made their equipment fail.

WHY is everyone so paranoid about whether or not Kubota “likes” it or not? Do you think they’d agree to your installation of a brand new hydraulic cylinder filled with the cylinder-manufacturer’s fluid...??? ...because that cylinder certainly had fluid in it ... What about the rental hoe you used for a short time and the hyd oil in that equipment..?? Do you really think that if those small amounts of fluid is “OK” to mix with your Kubota super-duper-fluid.... that a few ounces of dye that is approved for another, similar tractor...which also uses a hyd fluid virtually identical to Kubota’s.... will KILL your tractor? Doh.

If I wanted to add a few ounces of dye and was concerned about it, I’d challenge Kubota to prove it killed my equipment before I’d let them off the hook for any warranty. (Besides...how many of us are really STILL UNDER WARRANTY? If you don’t have a warranty what is your concern? It IS YOUR tractor... remember?

My 2-cents.

Reactions: 3 users

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
I run the JD dye... no problem. If it's good enough for a deere, it good enough for me. Just glad it's red and not green!

Also, running overfilled is no problem. I've been doing it for years. There was a dip stick replacement for the sight glass which added another 1.5 gallons so the old ratcheting cams would be under oil - thus less noise. It also moved the air vent to the filler cap...

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
My 'new to me' 2013 L3800HST arrived about 4 months ago with 264 hours on the clock. Being no so much anal as I am careful I changed all the filters except the engine oil as it had 'changed at 260 hrs' written on it. I changed the hydraulic filters but not all the fluid - just the 2 gallons that spilled on my garage floor.
In adding back fluid I never saw anything come up in the sight glass. The fluid was so clear tho that if it went above the glass I don't know if I could tell the difference.
I've read threads about adding Deere color dye but that Kubota doesn't like it :(
Is there an answer? Is there a downside to overfilling?
Where did you get "Kubota does not like it"????? Kubota may have not officially approved it, but I have never seen anything about not liking it.
We have a few customers using Toro's red dye in SUDT 2 and have not had any adverse effects.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I use Chevron THC All Weather Synthetic fluid and interestingly, it's dyed a pretty shade of orange. I can see it just fine.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Ok, I'm convinced - Thanks!
ordered a small bottle of Deere's dye

I was also thinking if there was a way to get to a plug that is protected from everything around the tractor to run a petcock to some plastic tubing. The tubing could be routed up someplace where it could be seen.
With the tractor level, opening the petcock would allow fluid up the tube to a place where the level could be seen. With the dye this shouldn't be necessary now. Just a thought.

Berry

Equipment
B7200HST B2551 Blower Scraper Flail Mower Chipper Log Splitter
Jun 7, 2020
Bancroft Ontario
“Kubota doesn’t like it” is B.S. They can claim they don’t like the atmosphere in your local community...but they’d have to PROVE that is what made their equipment fail.

WHY is everyone so paranoid about whether or not Kubota “likes” it or not? Do you think they’d agree to your installation of a brand new hydraulic cylinder filled with the cylinder-manufacturer’s fluid...??? ...because that cylinder certainly had fluid in it ... What about the rental hoe you used for a short time and the hyd oil in that equipment..?? Do you really think that if those small amounts of fluid is “OK” to mix with your Kubota super-duper-fluid.... that a few ounces of dye that is approved for another, similar tractor...which also uses a hyd fluid virtually identical to Kubota’s.... will KILL your tractor? Doh.

If I wanted to add a few ounces of dye and was concerned about it, I’d challenge Kubota to prove it killed my equipment before I’d let them off the hook for any warranty. (Besides...how many of us are really STILL UNDER WARRANTY? If you don’t have a warranty what is your concern? It IS YOUR tractor... remember?

My 2-cents.
I like your 2 cents, my Kubota is an older B7200HST wit a dip stick that has only one mark for high level, nothing for low. Any idea of how much JD red dye you use and do you have to premix or can you just top up and let it mix in.

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
I like your 2 cents, my Kubota is an older B7200HST wit a dip stick that has only one mark for high level, nothing for low. Any idea of how much JD red dye you use and do you have to premix or can you just top up and let it mix in.
Beery, I use a different brand but assume they are all about the same.... it only takes maybe a 1/4 cup for me to dye 10 gallons. I added it in a bit of oil when I topped up one time and it certinally gets agitated inside the machine!
min sure the JD container has some instructions on it. Some have mentioned that the open container of dye will harden/dry out after some time

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
If the JD dye had instructions.... I didn't read them :eek: I would say if I was to do it again, 1/2 bottle would be more than enough!!!!! If you could cut it into 1/3 using a pipette... you can see if that works for you.

So recap, full bottle was MORE than enough to see it...

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I use my eyes to see it

although it'd be nice to see kubota put some dye of some sort in the fluid. I have pushed as much as I can and as high up on the ladder as I could be apparently it was wasted effort as they're STILL making clear fluid which is close to impossible to see it

I usually held the dip stick up to the light and looked for the shine or if in a sight glass, the background is pure white when there's oil in it, it looks more off white. If you think it's overfilled unscrew the sight window from the transmission. If you get covered in fluid it was over full. If nothing comes out it ain't got enough in it.

Some of the older standard L's had a oil level stick kit you could put on them although I don't have the bulletin number. It's an old bulletin that addressed a couple issues actually.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
On my M's (both have dip sticks), I took each dip stick and my Roper-Whitney compound leverage hand punch and punched a hole at the low mark and full mark. When it's full both holes (1/16") are bridged with fluid and easy to see.

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
On my M's (both have dip sticks), I took each dip stick and my Roper-Whitney compound leverage hand punch and punched a hole at the low mark and full mark. When it's full both holes (1/16") are bridged with fluid and easy to see.
Sorta like an idiot-light isn’t it...? ... all one-way or the other..? LOL

• Dislike

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
...Some of the older standard L's had a oil level stick kit you could put on them although I don't have the bulletin number. It's an old bulletin that addressed a couple issues actually....
PSB-2005-052 (without the -A)... adds an additional 7.4 qts. of oil to the tank.

Attachments