Best anti-theft wiring advice

rwstarkey

Equipment
2020 BX2680
Jan 19, 2021
Pevely, MO
I'm wondering on a 2020 BX2680 what would be the best choice(s) for wiring an anti-theft switch to prevent starting the tractor?

Thanks!

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
No such thing. If someone is intent on stealing, its going to be gone, running or not. Park inside. Top up your insurance or move to a lower crime area.

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Electric fence charger hooked up to the seat via the ignition switch. Leave the key in.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I'm wondering on a 2020 BX2680 what would be the best choice(s) for wiring an anti-theft switch to prevent starting the tractor?

Thanks!

He is one for you ..........

A thief will roll the tractor to the trailer to move it - winch it up and tie her down and poof - GONE.

Unless you can disable the wheels rolling .....

the next best thing for long term protection -

Remove one front wheel!!!

Sounds crazy - but if that wheel is removed, chances are it will be there when you come back. - that front wheel is easily removed via FEL - take the key and the tire with you or place it someplace that only you know.

Sounds like a PITA - and I sure it is, but it almost insures that you will have a tractor when you come back.

other thoughts are gps/lowjack methods just in case.

But a remote "switch" that cuts off the fuel or key would be the best electrical method - intercept the hot wire to a "toggle" switch that is cut on before you use and cut off after you finish.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
While NOTHING will eliminate a theft, this has worked for me..
low tech...
Install a diesel fuel shutoff valve,run wires to a modified 'power plug' that requires a 'device' IN the plug to power the valve. if it's not in, tractor will start and run for maybe 1-2 minutes,depending on fuel between valve and engine. Just enough to move it a bit,then it'll never start.....hehehe.
if thief opens the hood, it'll all look stock unlike a manual turn valve.
if you don't want to use a power port, install a USB receptacle, carry a modifed 'flashdrive' key.......

high tech. install an RFID reader/really box or BLE box. You'll need to put key on a 'fob' with the transmitter of course.....

CurtisC

Equipment
B26TLB
Sep 12, 2011
Elk Park, NC
I used to pull a battery cable off and remove the hood release pull rod on my B26. With a bit of practice (hood up) I was able to hit the hole in the connector bracket at the top with the hood closed. I could usually connect up, release the hood, and be back in business in a couple of minutes. Pretty hard to get to the battery unless they have the exact rod and pretty good idea of how it connects. Probably not practical if you're on it daily but I had to store mine outside while gone for weeks at a time. This will keep most folks honest but as was said, if they want it bad enough they'll find a way.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
. The keys are all the same
yup, my BX23S key fits into all the ones at local dealer.....so I have a 'loaner' if need be.....

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
activate the PTO safety switch. it would prevent the dumb ones from starting the tractor.

Keep your KTAC insurance up. If it gets stolen, you will get a new one.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Thanks!
There really isn't much you can "wire in" to stop these from easily being hot wired.
You can add switches but like others have said they are way to easy to circumvent and get way with it.
Storing it in a secured location is the best thing you can do for it.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
the inline normally closed fuel valve will deter 99.44% of all thieves.,as tractor won't run for long. After that they have to 'figure it out'. Having one switch in the hot side AND another one in the low side will stump 100% of them, especially if the wiring is totally hidden or looks 'factory'.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Have a good neighbor that has a nice line of sight to your barn and is handy with rifle. It helps if the neighbor has a backhoe also. :p

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I'm like Bmyers idea!

I have this sign posted at the Kubota shed...... always did like it !!!

1611172551386.png

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
If you’re going to leave it for a while or have to leave in a less than secure location, if at all practical, getting a battery powered impact wrench and pulling a front wheel as previously suggested is about the best you can do. As others have said, if someone wants it they’ll probably get it and if they have a truck and trailer to move it, it’s pretty likely they’ll have a winch to winch it onto the trailer. Equipment thieves generally aren’t the smash and grab meth head idiots that break into houses and cars. They need brains and equipment both to steal it and sell it. You might as well assume they have all the keys to Kubotas, JDs, and whatever else is popular in your as there aren’t many different keys to any popular make.

Making it totally theft proof is unrealistic. Making it difficult so they’ll find an easier target is a more realistic goal. Ideally the thief sees a problem with it before they even start. The missing wheel is so obvious from a distance it’s unlikely a thief would even start to try to steal it.

If pulling a wheel isn’t practical and you go with a hidden fuel or electrical disconnect, at least consider accessibility when you park it and try to park it such that it would be difficult to back a trailer to it and winch it on the trailer. If running a ground engaging implement, having it stuck in or on the ground can help make winching onto a trailer without starting more difficult also. GPS tracker hidden somewhere isn’t a bad idea at all, as it would help you get it back, but it’s not likely to keep it from getting gone.

rwstarkey

Equipment
2020 BX2680
Jan 19, 2021
Pevely, MO

Thanks!
Thanks everyone!

I'm basically wanting a couple deterrents to keep some amateur away when I am home. When I am gone I block the machine with another vehicle so they would need to take out my vehicle or some big oaks to get it. I know a pro would probably find a way but my main concern is the amateur.

I may do motion lights and a siren as it's out of the way where any accidental activation would not be an issue.

Still deciding.

rwstarkey

Equipment
2020 BX2680
Jan 19, 2021
Pevely, MO
activate the PTO safety switch. it would prevent the dumb ones from starting the tractor.

Keep your KTAC insurance up. If it gets stolen, you will get a new one.
On the PTO safety switch, you mean turn the PTO on after the tractor is off, or wire into that switch? I'm assuming the later in some way it's not easily seen? Thanks!

rwstarkey

Equipment
2020 BX2680
Jan 19, 2021
Pevely, MO
the inline normally closed fuel valve will deter 99.44% of all thieves.,as tractor won't run for long. After that they have to 'figure it out'. Having one switch in the hot side AND another one in the low side will stump 100% of them, especially if the wiring is totally hidden or looks 'factory'.
Are you talking about the main battery cables? Seems that wiring would be too large to do that. Is there another circuit you could do that in? Thanks!