bearing replacement on RCK40LT deck

mandkole

Equipment
T1460
Jan 1, 2013
Ridgefield, WA
Doing a complete service on the deck of the T1460. Using a steering wheel puller, I got the 2 sheave drive assembly off the shaft, and the gear puller got the bearings out of the blade spindle housings and the deck shaft.

My question is how does everyone get them back together? It appears that a press is the correct way, but I don't have one. The fit is too tight to squarely get them in any other way. Short of going to the dealer, I'm looking for some other creative ideas that may not involve a press.

Ikeroberts

Equipment
2009 Kubota BX2360, 09 Ringo 8000lb dual axle trailer, 09 Mitsubishi Raider 6cyl
Nov 9, 2012
MountainTop, PA
Several options
1- Take the parts to any auto partys store. They have a press and will install for a fee
2- Old school method- Place on a solid surface. Line up race with part it goes into. Use a socket the same diameter as the outside bearing race, gently tap the socket to drive the bearing race into the opening. This is not easy but can be done.
3- Another old method- If you have a big enough vice and can get the right angle, you can press the bearing in with the jaws.

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
A piece of all-thread and a couple nuts to match, with 2 large flat washers (even 2 of your blades would work). Set the bearings in place, run the all-thread through the center and draw the bearings in with the nuts(s).

mandkole

Equipment
T1460
Jan 1, 2013
Ridgefield, WA
I've got a bearing/seal driver set but these are very tight fits. I've thought about the all thread method, and the shaft for the double sheave on the deck has a tapped hole in the end. Considered using a piece of pipe with a cap and all thread to draw it on.