B7100 sticking diff lock

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I noticed the other day that my diff lock was sticking in the engaged position. I could pull up on the foot lever and disengage it, but it wouldn't return on its own. I know that this is a common issue, asked about here and there on the forum.
I sprayed penetrating oil around the shaft going into the gear case, and worked the lever up and down. It freed up almost immediately. I sprayed more, worked it more, and now it is free and functioning properly.
So, if you are dealing with a sticking diff lock, try the simple first and lubricate that shaft. I'm sure that debris and oil cause the shaft to stick, so squirt some penetrating oil in there. It may not solve your problem, or it may just be that simple.;)

Different models will be set up differently; follow the linkage from the foot pedal, and you will locate the shaft entering the diff case.

Last edited:

phaser

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100HST 4x4, FEL, field mower
Aug 6, 2013
Oregon
OK, thanks hodge. I went and looked it up.

That's the lever that you step on to temporally engage the 4WD, the differential lock pedal. like you said, lol.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Mine was sticky too, as well as one of my brakes was hanging up. Lubed it before each time i got on tractor, after a week it freed up. Been fine since. Difference is it rests under a roof since i got it.think that helps some.