B670 Backhoe

Bowldowg

Equipment
B6100E
Jul 14, 2012
Indiana
Hello all, i've come across a B670 backhoe for sale and doing some research believe it should mount to my 1978 B6100E tractor. I think this would be a handy attachment. It appears the backhoe hasn't been used for some time and by the photos it's been sitting outside for a while also. Owner states it's in good condition though. I haven't seen it yet in person and hoping to get some better pictures. Obviously hydraulics that haven't been used and sitting outside worry me. Can anyone tell me what to look for on this model backhoe? Also what are the positives and negatives? Finally how much should it be worth?

Thanks,

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Here is a link you might find useful:
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5482
This describes the trials & tribulations that I and morson82 went through rebuilding our B670s. For us, the biggest weak point on this model was the lower pivot bearing, as you will see as you read the thread. Morson82 has a great pic of the destroyed lower bearing from underneath, shows the damage clearly. I would also check the tightness of the top plate bolts. All of this will make sense after you read the thread. I would be concerned about it being stored outside, that's rough on exposed rams (rust) & hydraulic hoses. (weathering & UV rot)
Once mine was rebuilt, it works great, and sure beats a shovel & pick. It won't dig like a Case 480C, but it's great for what I need.
As for price, I have no idea, mine came with my tractor. I have heard of one selling for $750 in the midwest, and another for $2500 in Arizona. (but implements are really expensive out here)
Good luck, keep us informed, and please post pics.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Also, find out what size bucket it has..... I have a 10" & a 14", but I would be surprised if mine would dig well with the 14".... our ground is like concrete, and I doubt the large bucket will penetrate well here. (Gonna try it one of these days.) I'd guess Indiana soil would be much more forgiving.
According to my implement sales brochure, it will fit your B6100, mine is on a B7100, and morson82 has a B6000. I'm not sure if there are any differences in the subframes for these different tractors.

Last edited:

Bowldowg

Equipment
B6100E
Jul 14, 2012
Indiana
Thank you for the information. While researching I did run across that thread. Will definitely be looking at all the pins and bushings along with hydraulics. In doing more research I also found this could be one of three models that would fit a B6100E. The B670 is one and believe there was also a B618 and B629 that have similar design and size. I don't know what the differences between each are though. I will have to look for a serial plate on the unit. The asking price is $2000 on this unit, which for the age and fact it's not been used and stored outside is way too much in my opinion unless it is in immaculate mechanical shape. Has one 12 inch bucket on it. I understand a 9 inch and 16 inch were also made for these. I would love to have this handy attachment but not for that price. Reading your rebuild information these are not cheap to rebuild. I'll post some pics assuming I get some better ones, the current are fuzzy and don't show much detail.

One more question for you. I don't have a loader on my tractor, but do have front weights. Can you mount and use without loader? Obviously a loader would be great and if I come across one I'm sure I'd get it assuming price is right, but it seems like they are as rare as hens teeth. Another very handy attachment which no one gives up once they have it.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
The B670 backhoe subframe attaches to the rear diff housing with two plates & to the front loader (FEL) subframe. (B219 FEL, in my case)
This thread has some pics that show the attachment points, post #10. Perhaps something could be fabricated, if the hoe looks worth getting.
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6876
The nomenclature plate on mine does not refer to "B670" anywhere..... it has the original manufacturer, Aeroquip's model number, KUW200, which Kubota called a B670.
The plate is on the rear side of the cross member that the stabilizer legs are mounted on, right side when viewed from the rear.

Last edited: