B1400DT - Driveshaft wobble

Compactplougher

Equipment
B1400DT
Aug 19, 2024
North Wales
Hi All, I am currently reservicing my old imported B1400DT. It has a death knock. I am replacing big end bearings, conrod bearings and so on and on.
I looked at the main driveshaft after dropping the engine and it wobbles. Look at the video. something is telling me this is not right but before I split another section of the little tractor can someone with a bit of knowledge confirm is this is normal or not. It seems not right to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oleracer

Equipment
B2150 Kubota LA 350 750 Woods S250 Bobcat 300x deere
Jul 18, 2024
CT
Hi All, I am currently reservicing my old imported B1400DT. It has a death knock. I am replacing big end bearings, conrod bearings and so on and on.
I looked at the main driveshaft after dropping the engine and it wobbles. Look at the video. something is telling me this is not right but before I split another section of the little tractor can someone with a bit of knowledge confirm is this is normal or not. It seems not right to me.

Pretty normal for and input shaft

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
That is the input shaft and it goes to the transmission. You might want to pull the bell housing off and check the pilot bushing. Usually the input shaft comes out just by pulling it. Removing the bell housing isn't going to take very long and will give you peace of mind.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
I agree that looks normal HOWEVER from what I can tell by your video, removing that bellhousing will be a real "beach" in terms of time. I'll not stake my reputation on it before seeing much better pictures than you've furnished. You mentioned that tractor was imported so I'm lead to ask "from what country". All Kubota tractors are imported from Japan afik. I've never saw a B1400DT so perhaps your's is a knockoff clone from "Chiner". If you will furnish additional details to nail down make, model and country of origin I can try and help you with more accurate/better advice.

Compactplougher

Equipment
B1400DT
Aug 19, 2024
North Wales
That is the input shaft and it goes to the transmission. You might want to pull the bell housing off and check the pilot bushing. Usually the input shaft comes out just by pulling it. Removing the bell housing isn't going to take very long and will give you peace of mind.
Thank you so much and the kind pointer. Consider that everything front of the steering wheel is now in bits and new parts coming in the post I will follow your advice and take this extra step. Even the clutch plate went off for refurb and that wasn't even on the list! I will do it next week!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What you are getting is slop in this joint.
It's a loose connection on purpose, it allows for wear in the pilot bushing to not damage the input shaft to the transmission.
You can get a rebuild kit for it, but that amount of movement isn't too bad.

1724191186681.png

Reactions: 1 user