Another Tractor Project

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
I like to have a project to give me something to do in the Winter. Something that will fit in the garage but leave room to work around it. I've done motorcycles, ATVs, a couple of metal lathes, and the odd tractor. I start looking for something late Summer/early Fall.

After a couple of false starts (either not as advertised or too expensive...or both...), I settled on this little feller. It's a Shibaura SD1400B. Shibaura built (and may still build) compact and sub-compact tractors for Ford/New Holland.

This one is a 2 cylinder water cooled diesel, 2WD, 4x2, or possibly 4x3 transmission (more on that in a bit), PTO and 3 point hitch. Got it off Craigslist for $250 and a promise that it "ran when parked" (where have we heard that one before?) Tin all there and straight, just surface rust for the most part. Big ol' rice paddy tires on the back that hold air, junk on the front. Big problem is that the rear wheels are locked up.

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com

I thought probably the problem with the rear wheels was frozen/rusted brakes and I was partially right. The MAIN problem, however, was frozen axle bearings. Solid full of rust and locked up tighter than Fort Knox.

I have the bearings on hand and am waiting on the seals.

Reactions: 1 user

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Startup Video

While waiting on the seals, I went ahead and purged the fuel system. The canister for the fuel filter was empty...no filter cartridge. No way to ID the correct cartridge, so I replaced it with an inline filter with a replaceable cartridge, then bled the lines and injectors.

As the video shows, it starts well and doesn't smoke so I'm pretty pleased with the engine. Also the batter shows 13.8x volts at high idle so the charging system appears to be working.

I'm putzing around de-rusting and painting the tin while I wait on the seals to show up. Once I'm sure the rear end is fixed, I'll spring for a new seat and some front tires and tubes.

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Pretty cool project you have there. Big enough to be useful when it’s finished but small enough you don’t need a shop crane to pull an axle shaft. And to a lot of people, including me, without the WSM that probably doesn’t exist in English, there’s no hope for getting it working.

Very nice...

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
You're right about the lack of a WSM. It's simple enough mechanically that it's fairly easy to figure things out, but there's just enough weirdness to keep you on your toes. Front wheel bearings for instance - straight roller bearings, not tapered and I wound up packing the inner one in place rather than risk tearing it up getting it off the spindle.

And the throttle - the big lever beside the tank is just the fuel shutoff. Back towards the seat for run, forward towards the radiator for off. It appears there's only a foot throttle and I haven't worked on that yet so I don't know if it's just sticky linkage or its idle/full speed and no in between.

Then there's the air cleaner. Looks just like an oil bath type and I'm 99% sure it is, but there's no fill line on the oil cup. I'd hate for it to aspirate oil from the cup, could wind up with a run-away.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I enjoy following your projects. I would love to do the same sort of thing, but my present situation precludes that. Some of my small projects that should take hours or days now take months, because of time not being my own.
So I live vicariously through you. Keep 'em coming!

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
I enjoy following your projects. I would love to do the same sort of thing, but my present situation precludes that. Some of my small projects that should take hours or days now take months, because of time not being my own.
So I live vicariously through you. Keep 'em coming!
One of the joys of being retired! I occasionally think I should find a part-time job, but then I realize I don't have time for that sort of foolishness. :D

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Paul, an interesting project. I'd revisit the fuel shut off lever you described. If it was just for fuel shut off and not throttle it would not need to be such a long lever. The older Kubotas just had a pull know to shut off the fuel. Might be something not connected. Have fun, but don't work too fast or you'll be completely finished before Spring!

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Paul, an interesting project. I'd revisit the fuel shut off lever you described. If it was just for fuel shut off and not throttle it would not need to be such a long lever. The older Kubotas just had a pull know to shut off the fuel. Might be something not connected. Have fun, but don't work too fast or you'll be completely finished before Spring!
Good point. I'm in "waiting for parts" mode, so I might as well go investigate that.

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
You were right, D2.

There's an ear on the lever linkage that's supposed to contact the foot pedal linkage and transfer the action to the injector pump. The foot pedal linkage was bent just enough that it was bypassing instead of connecting.

Fixed that, all is well.

Thanks!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
One of the joys of being retired!
One would think so, but I've been retired for almost 11 years. The caregiver thing is not how I planned spending my retirement.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
That looks like a great project for you PH. I've always been of the mindset that any project, no matter how big, can be broken down into small pieces and completed that way.
I'm not sure I could do what you've done so far :)

I wouldn't have a clue where to find parts for a machine like that - as a starter!

Good luck! Hope to see the finished pix!

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
The parts guy got back to me. He does have the parts...for "$850-$1000, plus shipping."

That's not going to happen.

Got it on Craigslist as a "parting out". If that doesn't work out, I'll pull the engine and mount it on a cart for a portable power pack. I've got a 540 RPM Prince pump and a valve stack. Always wanted to build something hydraulic...

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Paul, before you begin disassembling it, give us the model number and tractor details and let us do some searching. Maybe we can scrounge up something. Do you know if other tractor brands used parts made by the same company exist?

Also, your CL listing may get you in contact with someone else who may have some parts tractors.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Well. If I were in your shoes and still me, I would just cut a new gear. But my equipment (and experience) would limit me to a straight cut spur gear, and that appears to be a spiral cut gear. (way out of my league & equipment's ability)
So, I think I would be hunting for a parts tractor, maybe even another brand that uses the same parts, as suggested above. Anyway, I would hang onto it for a while before parting it out.
Besides, I need the entertainment. :)

I know what you mean about WKTP.
When I rebuilt the front axle on my B7100, I think they wanted $85 more for 2 used gears and a used bearing than Coleman's charged me for new parts shipped to my house.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I can't see the pictures in this thread, just a little box. Clicking on it does nothing. Anyone else have this problem?

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
I can't see the pictures in this thread, just a little box. Clicking on it does nothing. Anyone else have this problem?
People have problems accessing my pictures on a couple of sites. Not sure why. Try right-clicking the icon and choose "open in new window" and see it that works.