60" deck on a BX1860/1870 - it works!

Delmar

Equipment
G1900 / Kubota BX
Sep 24, 2015
Bluegrass State
I talked in another thread about selling my old G1900S and planning to use my BX1860 as a primary mower. One drawback was that a 54" deck was the biggest one available for the 1860. After doing some research I found that a RCK60 23BX deck "fits" the 1860, but that it wasn't available due to the machine not being able to power it. I thought that seemed odd and took a chance - bought a nice almost new RCK60 23BX deck and finally got to try it out over the weekend.

Although my grass is only long and thick in some areas of the lawn, there were enough areas to get a sense for just how well it would cut. First cut of the year and some areas were probably 10" or so long and very heavy and wet.

The machine did beautifully! Honestly, I can't imagine more "challenging" mowing conditions. Heavy, wet, thick, grass on a sloped lot. (I even mowed a bit with the FEL and ballast box attached--even though I would never mow like that regularly-- and it still did fine.)

So, very happy with the result. I hope this information might be helpful for anyone else out there considering a 60" deck for their BX1860/1870.

20170319_183346.jpg

20170319_183353.jpg

20170319_183404.jpg

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
Awesome that it mounted up. My 1870 runs a 54" deck plus the Kubota PTO powered bagger in a steep yard. Can't imagine that you will run into any power related issues.

Delmar

Equipment
G1900 / Kubota BX
Sep 24, 2015
Bluegrass State
I wonder why Kubota doesn't offer the 60" deck for these tractors. ?? Given the way it didn't even lug when mowing really long, thick, wet grass--and Ramos' comment about using the 54" mower and power bagger--I can't believe it is really a power issue. Maybe trying to create some "reason" to upsale to the more pricey models?

countrynerd

Equipment
BX25D, L3301
Jun 6, 2016
thumb, MI, USA
I suspect at whatever is their measure for grass height is higher then normal home owners before they mow or based on max speed verse height of grass .

Example I have big rotary cutter that to big for tractor but I just drive slower at higher Rpms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Thank for sharing your success story, I agree, its most likely a marketing issue and that marketing seems to have been effective as it's common to hear someone on this very forum trying to talk someone into a higher hp machine because the 18hp "isn't powerful enough".

My 1860 has never failed or dissapointed me in the power department and after 4 years I'm still glad I saved cash and bought the smaller engine. It"s more than enough for the bx chassis.

Delmar

Equipment
G1900 / Kubota BX
Sep 24, 2015
Bluegrass State
I know what you mean. I think if I needed more "power," then moving up a category or two to a 23 or 26hp BX machine probably wouldn't be the solution, at least not consistently. Would probably need to move to a B or L series.

Granted, I'm a homeowner and not farming or earning a living with it, but the little tractor is surprisingly stout and versatile.

Tcrote, I followed your cab build thread. Very impressive!

Last edited:

Delmar

Equipment
G1900 / Kubota BX
Sep 24, 2015
Bluegrass State
An update. It's mid-April now and the grass in our area (KY) is full and thick. I've mowed a few times now and have been extremely pleased with the 60" deck on the BX1860.

I have a few areas over the septic system leach field that are really thick and I paid attention as I mowed to see if it might be overtaxing the machine. Nope! As a matter of fact, I couldn't detect any "lugging" at all. Engine temperature stayed steady.

I think I'll stick with my earlier contention that the reason for no 60" deck option for the 1860/1870 had more to do with marketing and upselling than machine specs and performance.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
I bet the Kubota Kops will soon be showing up and writing you up for this violation! Probably get ambushed in the leach field.

Glad to hear it's all working well for you.

Delmar

Equipment
G1900 / Kubota BX
Sep 24, 2015
Bluegrass State
Thought another update is in order. Not sure if anybody needs it but I've benefited from some of the obscure things folks on OTT take the time to record. :)

Mid-September now and I can definitively say the idea that a 60" deck is too big for the BX1860 is hogwash. I've used it all season and it does just fine, even in heavy grass and going up steep slopes.

I recently added a bagger. 20170904_142916.jpg

The machine DOES bog some while using the bagger (PTO-driven) and going up a steep slope. I guess the load on the PTO in addition to the deck causes it to bog. It doesn't die, just lets me know its laboring. However, it's only on the very steepest part of a slope. I have a hilly lot and 95% of the time it's just fine.

So, 60" deck = A+; bagger = A-

Dr Honda

Equipment
BX1870
Mar 30, 2015
Pitt, PA
Thought another update is in order. Not sure if anybody needs it but I've benefited from some of the obscure things folks on OTT take the time to record. :)

Mid-September now and I can definitively say the idea that a 60" deck is too big for the BX1860 is hogwash. I've used it all season and it does just fine, even in heavy grass and going up steep slopes.

I recently added a bagger. View attachment 31443

The machine DOES bog some while using the bagger (PTO-driven) and going up a steep slope. I guess the load on the PTO in addition to the deck causes it to bog. It doesn't die, just lets me know its laboring. However, it's only on the very steepest part of a slope. I have a hilly lot and 95% of the time it's just fine.

So, 60" deck = A+; bagger = A-

Reading the beginning of the thread... I was thinking about what your last post found. the bigger deck, WITH the factory bagger, and a slope will bog the smaller engine.

To some, it's a "Who Cares" situation... or they don't have hills. But there's always that one guy who would complain, and blame the dealer for selling the combo that doesn't work. (if you know what I mean)

Regardless... it's good to know that it physically fits, and works.

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Great thread and update, glad to hear it has worked out for you & would for 99% of the population. Now you can try on leaves as they fall.

Velle01

Equipment
BX1860
Sep 2, 2020
Dansville, NY
I have been looking for a post like this. I bought a bx1860 that didn’t have any attachments. 54” decks haven’t come up for sale that often, but I have seen a few 60” decks. This is a great post. TY for posting

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
kubota l2501 upgraded from a bx23s john deere 670 husquarvana huv 4421 gxp
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
I'm not surprised as my b7100 has a 60 inch deck modified to fit, and with 13 pto hp when new has no problem cutting some pretty thick grass.. and im positive my old smokey 2200 hour 35 year old kubota is missing some of the original 13 hp at the pto.

Thanks for sharing