200hr Transmission filter change for MX5200HST

tnmike

Equipment
mx5800
Nov 13, 2018
Jacksonvillle, Fl US
I have a MX5200. I changed all fluids (except coolant) and filters at 50 hours and I am approaching the 200hr service where I need to change only the transmission filter. I really hate draining the 10+ gallons of oil just to change the filter so I was curious if anyone has done just the filter. Will oil gush out everywhere? How messy will it be?

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I believe the MX (or at least some of them) shares the same chassis with the L series. When I did my filters I learned the filler cap was standard one inch NPT thread. I threaded a PVC socked to male NPT adapter into the hole then adapted out out to my shop vac. That applied a negative pressure to the transmission to counteract the atmospheric pressure which would cause all the fluid to drain. This is not mess free, I may have lost a quart of fluid that was in the filter and lines but even so it was better than the gallon or more I may have lost without the shop vac.

Reactions: 1 user

tnmike

Equipment
mx5800
Nov 13, 2018
Jacksonvillle, Fl US
Thanks Roadworthy, I appreciate it.
That sounds like a good idea, I think I'll give it a try. The manual states to drain the oil but it's not easy draining 10 gallons of oil without contaminating it....and if you don't drain the oil it's sounds like oil everywhere.