Disc Harrow size limit for L2501

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
As a farm boy, I NEVER remember my grandfather or dad worried about the color of their attachments....it's works, or doesn't.....'nuf said....:)

You're not taking your tractor and new disc to the Prom or a Fashion Show....you'll be fine!;)
Oh i completely agree RCW :) I really dont care at all personally, more so just having fun with the contradiction of the orange and the green. I got this given to me for little of nothing, and it had never been used. I feel nothing but gratitude today for the blessing. I was going to have to buy one this winter. I wasnt going to buy one this nice (or big) though. From best I can tell this harrow is $2000-$2500 or so. While I would ideally prefer it be more like 66" rather than 76", I will not complain! Im just glad that the tractor can handle it and I know now it will work for everything I have planned.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I just noticed something tonight when I was parking my tractor that I had never noticed before. The two vertical lift arms have 2 holes at the bottom where they connect to the left and right swing arms. One hole a little higher than the other. See picture to see what I'm referring to. Common sense suggests this is to allow a slight adjustment to lift height for the 3 point hitch, is that indeed what this is? As you can see in the pic mine is on the bottom hole. By moving it up to the top hole, I could gain a little more ground clearance on the harrow I'm thinking. I just never noticed the 2 separate holes before until tonight....

EDIT: swapped it and took a measurement. On the top hole my quick hitch raised just over 3 inches higher off the ground with the 3pt fully lowered. I wish I knew about this sooner, this will fix my lift height problem with the harrow. As a side note, i also noticed that my turn buckles on both sides are missing the inside nut! Im only approaching 30 hours on this tractor, and those nuts had to be missing from the dealer. -_-

Attachments

Last edited:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA

Moving your lift arms to the hole I circled in blue will give you even more lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
The turn buckles are correct. There is only one nut on each. Speaking of turn buckles you need to either pick up the disk at every turn or purchase the inter connecting pin type Kubota Accessories: Telescopic Stabilizer Kit, Part # L8430. The turn buckles will not take the strain of the disk in a turn for very long.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
The turn buckles are correct. There is only one nut on each. Speaking of turn buckles you need to either pick up the disk at every turn or purchase the inter connecting pin type Kubota Accessories: Telescopic Stabilizer Kit, Part # L8430. The turn buckles will not take the strain of the disk in a turn for very long.
My L3200 has a nut on each side of the turn buckle for the stabilizers.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Moving your lift arms to the hole I circled in blue will give you even more lift.
Thanks for pointing that out fordtech. I noticed that hole as well and that was my assumption. I think I will have to stop where I am here and see how it goes with just moving to the one hole. When I lift the 3 pt. to the very top now my quick hitch is just like 1 inch from making contact with the back fender/lights of the tractor. I think the 3 inches gained from just moving holes will make a huge difference with the harrow. I didnt know I could make these adjustments to increase lift height so Im really stoked now.

Yea, I think you may be right. I went and googled pictures and videos of other L2501's and it seems many of them are missing that inside bolt. Thats really odd to me, because most all turn buckles Ive seen have a bolt on either side to lock down any movement. Its funny you suggest the telescoping stabilizers because I just bookmarked them over at messicks.com tonight. I plan to get them for Christmas maybe. They are $185 at messicks. Anyone who happens across this now or in the future that may be interested the stabilizers BigG suggested is at this link. Neil even has a video there showing the simple installation. Thanks for the suggestion BigG. I was going to get them just because i hate the turnbuckles, but I hadn't thought that the harrow might actually cause them to fail, but it makes sense. Just another reason to upgrade!

Last edited:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA

Pic of the stabilizers on mine (off the tractor because the back hoe is installed). Nuts on each end of the turnbuckle. If your talking about the leveling link on the right side lift arm mine only has one nut on top.

I would love the telescoping stabilizers but I don’t know that they would clear the backhoe subframe.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa

Pic of the stabilizers on mine (off the tractor because the back hoe is installed). Nuts on each end of the turnbuckle. If your talking about the leveling link on the right side lift arm mine only has one nut on top.

I would love the telescoping stabilizers but I don’t know that they would clear the backhoe subframe.

Yep your pictures are what Im used to seeing. Nuts on either side, which is why I thought mine were missing them. If you look at pictures of other L2501's though I find many are also missing the same bolts, ones that would be on the tractor side of the turnbuckles. I really dont get why...It means the turnbuckle could move over time.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Thought I would share 3 pics of the set up for anyone curious. If you look at picture 1 you can see how little clearance I have when the harrow is lifted to maximum.
R-1 tires would help significantly with traction, especially in loose ground.

The FEL and, especially, grapple add lots of weight.

SDT

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
R-1 tires would help significantly with traction, especially in loose ground.

The FEL and, especially, grapple add lots of weight.

SDT
Yea, though it is just a root rake, not a full on grapple. I dont have a 3rd function valve. Its about the same weight as the bucket - they are just a few pounds difference. I have thought that I could run the bucket and take a scoop of dirt and ride around with it when using the harrow for even more weight. After using the harrow though this weekend I don't think that will be necessary. I didnt have any problems pulling it at the most aggressive angles with 4wd engaged, and in a well tilled area. That was the worst case scenario test for me. I don't plan to hardly ever use this disc harrow in these most aggressive angles - Its really aggressive, and does put the tractor under some strain, you can feel, for example turning you can feel it fighting to turn and the turn radius is wider. I find in the middle settings it has a similar outcome on the ground, but pulls a lot easier. I am in North FL/South GA so its really sandy soil, very fast leeching, no clay or anything, so its an easy ground to break. Just a few passes and you have loose powder that just sinks below your feet.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Yea, though it is just a root rake, not a full on grapple. I dont have a 3rd function valve. Its about the same weight as the bucket - they are just a few pounds difference. I have thought that I could run the bucket and take a scoop of dirt and ride around with it when using the harrow for even more weight. After using the harrow though this weekend I don't think that will be necessary. I didnt have any problems pulling it at the most aggressive angles with 4wd engaged, and in a well tilled area. That was the worst case scenario test for me. I don't plan to hardly ever use this disc harrow in these most aggressive angles - Its really aggressive, and does put the tractor under some strain, you can feel, for example turning you can feel it fighting to turn and the turn radius is wider. I find in the middle settings it has a similar outcome on the ground, but pulls a lot easier. I am in North FL/South GA so its really sandy soil, very fast leeching, no clay or anything, so its an easy ground to break. Just a few passes and you have loose powder that just sinks below your feet.
You should always lift a mounted disc when turning, aside from very gradual turns.

It is a very nice disc.

I wish that I had neighbors like you have.

SDT

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
You should always lift a mounted disc when turning, aside from very gradual turns.

It is a very nice disc.

I wish that I had neighbors like you have.

SDT
Yea I plan to go a little easier on things when actually using it from here on out. I was being hard on it on purpose when testing because I wanted to see a worst case scenario, just see how the tractor behaves. You have to remember my tractor only has 28 hours on it as well, so its all still new to me, I still like finding the limits of the machine ;D

And yea my boss is a great guy. He's a big time farmer in this area with multiple big 100+ horse tractors, in addition to working another job full time where he is my boss. The harrow he said came with a tractor he bought a year ago, and to him the harrow was too small to be useful. He has some really giant harrows that he uses. This thing was dropped under a big oak tree near one of his barns and never moved, until I picked it up. His statement was that he was just glad someone would get some use of it, because all it would do at his place is rust down. He's got so much going on he doesn't care about this little harrow. To me though it was indeed a tremendous blessing. I did get him to take $500 for it though, so that made me feel better. He was just going to give it to me for free. From what I could tell the harrow is around $2500 brand new. The comparable Land Pride models I think are around the $2000 mark. It was a blessing for sure!