Disc Harrow size limit for L2501

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Wanting to get some thoughts here on something. Ive been looking at disc harrows for my new L2501. I mentioned to my boss at work how I was looking for one and he said "I got one that came with a tractor I bought that I aint gonna use, You can have it" He took me out to look at it. Its a fine harrow. He is a big farmer and uses nearly all John Deere equipment so its a Frontier brand disc harrow. I'm gonna pick it up this weekend and try to offer him atleast a little payment for it. My boss is a good hearted man though so he may turn me down. From what I can tell from eye balling it then trying to look it up it appears to be a DH1176. I looked at it only briefly and didnt note the model number at the time but based on the size approximation, and number of discs, Im pretty sure its the DH1176, which is about 706 lbs according to its owners manual. It is 76" working width. It is actually one size bigger than what I had been looking to buy. This size harrow will be wider than the L2501. I had planned to stay in the 60" range or so, but he is giving me this so I cant complain. My question is regarding the size of this harrow and how well it may work with the little L2501. This is likely the biggest size harrow you would want to put on a L2501 I would think, and I will be using this in wooded areas, turning flat woods into grassed yard, So likely hitting lots of roots and snags. Im just wondering how this big of a harrow will handle on my little tractor. Try to gain some insight from some more experienced users here. This harrow looks just as well built to the eye as the Land Pride models I was looking at. Big, 3" tubular Iron frame, etc.It is a more heavy duty build than the cheaper, lighter looking ones I browsed at tractor supply, which use angle iron frames. Any insights wold be appreciated.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Wanting to get some thoughts here on something. Ive been looking at disc harrows for my new L2501. I mentioned to my boss at work how I was looking for one and he said "I got one that came with a tractor I bought that I aint gonna use, You can have it" He took me out to look at it. Its a fine harrow. He is a big farmer and uses nearly all John Deere equipment so its a Frontier brand disc harrow. I'm gonna pick it up this weekend and try to offer him atleast a little payment for it. My boss is a good hearted man though so he may turn me down. From what I can tell from eye balling it then trying to look it up it appears to be a DH1176. I looked at it only briefly and didnt note the model number at the time but based on the size approximation, and number of discs, Im pretty sure its the DH1176, which is about 706 lbs according to its owners manual. It is 76" working width. It is actually one size bigger than what I had been looking to buy. This size harrow will be wider than the L2501. I had planned to stay in the 60" range or so, but he is giving me this so I cant complain. My question is regarding the size of this harrow and how well it may work with the little L2501. This is likely the biggest size harrow you would want to put on a L2501 I would think, and I will be using this in wooded areas, turning flat woods into grassed yard, So likely hitting lots of roots and snags. Im just wondering how this big of a harrow will handle on my little tractor. Try to gain some insight from some more experienced users here. This harrow looks just as well built to the eye as the Land Pride models I was looking at. Big, 3" tubular Iron frame, etc.It is a more heavy duty build than the cheaper, lighter looking ones I browsed at tractor supply, which use angle iron frames. Any insights wold be appreciated.
Too big and too heavy for your 2501.

That said, it's free, so buy a full set of front weights, load the rears and give it a try. You will be able to pull it in some conditions but not in most.

If it is adjustable (some aren't), you can decrease the angle to make it cut less and pull more easily but it will not be any lighter.

SDT

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Too big and too heavy for your 2501.

That said, it's free, so buy a full set of front weights, load the rears and give it a try. You will be able to pull it in some conditions but not in most.

If it is adjustable (some aren't), you can decrease the angle to make it cut less and pull more easily but it will not be any lighter.

SDT
Yea the one I'm looking at almost looks identical to this one here, My boss says its never been used. It hads just a little rust on it from sitting outside a little while but it looks essentially brand new.

My rear tires are loaded, and I do of course have the loader on the front. The angle is adjustable as you can see in the picture of the unit. There is a chance the harrow is the slightly smaller DH 1166, but its not much lighter, it still is at 660lbs (vs 705lbs ), and is 66" in working width.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I just pulled up the L2501 owners manual to check what it says about implement limitations for disc harrows and it says:

Width: 60 inches, and weight: 660lbs

So I am over shooting this a little. I would be 16 inches over the width and 45 lbs over the weight limit in the owners manual.

Im wondering.. Perhaps removing some discs, perhaps the ones on the far outside would help? Ive never tinkered with disc harrows much, though I have used them, But I would assume you can remove individual discs from the unit? Perhaps I can tinker with it to help the tractor out.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I just pulled up the L2501 owners manual to check what it says about implement limitations for disc harrows and it says:

Width: 60 inches, and weight: 660lbs

So I am over shooting this a little. I would be 16 inches over the width and 45 lbs over the weight limit in the owners manual.

Im wondering.. Perhaps removing some discs, perhaps the ones on the far outside would help? Ive never tinkered with disc harrows much, though I have used them, But I would assume you can remove individual discs from the unit? Perhaps I can tinker with it to help the tractor out.
The pictured disc is small but heavy for it's size.

Fortunately, it is adjustable, so you can decrease the angle making it less aggressive.

Does yours have 4 or 5 discs per axle?

Yes, you can remove discs but it's a job. I would try it as is first.

SDT

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
The pictured disc is small but heavy for it's size.

Fortunately, it is adjustable, so you can decrease the angle making it less aggressive.

Does yours have 4 or 5 discs per axle?

Yes, you can remove discs but it's a job. I would try it as is first.

SDT
The one I will be getting is exactly like the one pictured. 4 discs per axle. So 16 discs total on the unit. 18" diameter discs. 3mm blade thickness. Front Gang Angles 2,9,13, 24 degree options Rear Gang Angles 5,11,20, 27 degree options. The one difference on the one I am getting and the one in the picture is that all the discs on mine are notched. It has no smooth discs, so it will be a little more aggressive. I could put smooth discs on the rear if I end up needing to make further adjustments. I will do some test runs with it in the woods when I get it and see how it goes. Im hoping the tractor continues to impress me. So far, everytime I think I may hit a point where the tractor isnt going to handle something it has proven me wrong. This will be pushing it I think. Thankfully a disc harrow is something I feel I can modify to make it work. As you say, adjusting the angle, perhaps swapping to smooth discs on the back, perhaps removing 2 or 4 discs from the unit entirely. Im sure I can make some adjustments to help the tractor pull it.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
You could remove the entire row of the disk and be able to pull it over some very rough ground with half the set. Then after several passes reattach the gangs to smooth the ground out. Also since it is a 3 point hitch you may be able to just shorten the top link so that you do most of the cutting with the front half. You will also be able to "hold up" the disk so that it does not cut very deep.

As stated before removing the 2 or 4 disk is a lot of work. If you can get the use of a cutting torch cut the diameter of the disk down so they no longer cut the soil but the remaining disk would keep the correct spacing on the axle.

I would give it a try.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
You could remove the entire row of the disk and be able to pull it over some very rough ground with half the set. Then after several passes reattach the gangs to smooth the ground out. Also since it is a 3 point hitch you may be able to just shorten the top link so that you do most of the cutting with the front half. You will also be able to "hold up" the disk so that it does not cut very deep.

As stated before removing the 2 or 4 disk is a lot of work. If you can get the use of a cutting torch cut the diameter of the disk down so they no longer cut the soil but the remaining disk would keep the correct spacing on the axle.

I would give it a try.
Thats a good suggestion BigG thanks. Hopefully tomorrow evening I can try it out and see how its going to work. I should be able to tell pretty quick. I got a good place to test it out in the woods that Ive cleared. Ill report back with how it goes and maybe with some pictures.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I have a land pride dh 1560 for mine. Pretty much same tractor, mines just the previous series. Specs for the LP are pretty much as you stated, 16 discs, 18 “ discs, just a little lighter at 630 pounds. I typically have the loader removed when using it and never have had an issue. Very rarely put it in 4wd either. R4 tires and they are not loaded. I doubt you will have any issues.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I'd say it may surprise you. I think it'll handle it just fine. I pull a 10' trail type IH disc with my L3000. I can have it set in the most aggressive setting but in 4wd only. I know it's a bit much but it was already on the farm so I'll use it.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
get it, set it to 'neutral', and you'll drag it behind you all day long.
It's the agressive angle (and tight turns)that puts the stress on a tractor.
I pulled an old set of tandem disks for YEARS chewing up 1-5 acre parcels for veggy gardens never had a problem
1st pass was straight, N-S then E-W to 'score' the sod
2nd pass light angle, N-S ,then E-W, for a light chew
3rd pass moderate angle, N-S, then E-W, for cut it up more

When planting rye for the winter cover crop, once hand seeded, ONE pass, straight set. When the rye comes up, it looks like a machine 'drilled' the seed !

Jay

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
I don't think you will have a problem unless you are in soft ground. I have an L 3301 DT and my disk is a 6 foot one. I can pull it all dat long with no problem but one food plot issand and if it is soft I need 4 wheel drive and a lower gear for the first pass. The extra weight will be your friend when sing it

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Appreciate all the feed back from everyone. I picked up the harrow yesterday morning and got to try it out yesterday evening just before dark. I was correct that it was the DH1176. (76 inches wide, 705 lbs) The tractor pulls it with no issue at all, so I can tell power is no issue. One isue I did have which I didnt anticipate is that with the 3-point hitch all the way up, it just barely picks the discs up off the ground. I have about 3 inches of clearance between the ground and the discs on flat ground. This wont be a big issue as my place is all pretty flat, but It was something I hadn't anticipated. If you hit any dips in the landscape when driving the discs will hit the ground. The frame just sits so much higher than all my other implements. If the tractor any smaller, or the tires perhaps just a little smaller, you wouldnt get this thing off the ground.

As far as using it though, the L2501 impressed me again, pulling it with ease. I was pulling it at about 75% throttle without any issue. I had someone standing on it and holding onto the rops for several passes to add an extra 200lbs and the tractor still pulled it without issue at 75% throttle. When I first started testing it, I was in 2wd, and on one turn I did have one of my back tires slip a little on the turn, so I popped it into 4wd at that point and never had another issue. If I didn't have the loader on the tractor and the rear tires loaded I don't know, maybe more of an issue? I think if you were to have an issue pulling this thing though it would be down to weight. I felt the engine power was there- the tractor never felt like it was struggling at all.

Also I will add that the unit fit my QH15 quick hitch perfectly. This was a pleasent surprise for me. I was hoping it would fit, but was prepared for it not to. I installed the 2 cat 3 bushings on the lower pins, as I do for all my quick hitch attachments, and it works like a charm. The bushings also help give me just a tad more clearance.

EDIT: I should also add that all my testing here was done with the gangs in a much more neutral position. Front gang was one step above the least aggressive setting, and the back gangs were at the least aggressive setting possible. I will be doing more in depth "testing" (IE: Playing) today with it, and I plan to go much more aggressive and see how it handles it.

Last edited:

BigG

Equipment
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Please do not use a person for a weight on a harrow or disk. It looks harmless but the injures caused by a disk can be deadly. Instead if extra weight is needed add a log or a piece of ibeam and wire tie it to the disk.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Please do not use a person for a weight on a harrow or disk. It looks harmless but the injures caused by a disk can be deadly. Instead if extra weight is needed add a log or a piece of ibeam and wire tie it to the disk.
Agreed.

Very, very dangerous.

Additional weight will not be needed with this disc but top link adjustment might be in order.

SDT

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Appreciate all the feed back from everyone. I picked up the harrow yesterday morning and got to try it out yesterday evening just before dark. I was correct that it was the DH1176. (76 inches wide, 705 lbs) The tractor pulls it with no issue at all, so I can tell power is no issue. One isue I did have which I didnt anticipate is that with the 3-point hitch all the way up, it just barely picks the discs up off the ground. I have about 3 inches of clearance between the ground and the discs on flat ground. This wont be a big issue as my place is all pretty flat, but It was something I hadn't anticipated. If you hit any dips in the landscape when driving the discs will hit the ground. The frame just sits so much higher than all my other implements. If the tractor any smaller, or the tires perhaps just a little smaller, you wouldnt get this thing off the ground.

As far as using it though, the L2501 impressed me again, pulling it with ease. I was pulling it at about 75% throttle without any issue. I had someone standing on it and holding onto the rops for several passes to add an extra 200lbs and the tractor still pulled it without issue at 75% throttle. When I first started testing it, I was in 2wd, and on one turn I did have one of my back tires slip a little on the turn, so I popped it into 4wd at that point and never had another issue. If I didn't have the loader on the tractor and the rear tires loaded I don't know, maybe more of an issue? I think if you were to have an issue pulling this thing though it would be down to weight. I felt the engine power was there- the tractor never felt like it was struggling at all.

Also I will add that the unit fit my QH15 quick hitch perfectly. This was a pleasent surprise for me. I was hoping it would fit, but was prepared for it not to. I installed the 2 cat 3 bushings on the lower pins, as I do for all my quick hitch attachments, and it works like a charm. The bushings also help give me just a tad more clearance.

EDIT: I should also add that all my testing here was done with the gangs in a much more neutral position. Front gang was one step above the least aggressive setting, and the back gangs were at the least aggressive setting possible. I will be doing more in depth "testing" (IE: Playing) today with it, and I plan to go much more aggressive and see how it handles it.
You will find that it pulls MUCH harder when fully angled.

It will also pull much harder in tilled (plowed) ground.

You will not pull it through plowed ground when fully angled.

SDT

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Finally got to play with it for a couple hours today and really test it out. I decided to go as aggressive as possible on the gangs just to see what the worst case scenario would be, and I started in 2wd. I made it about 5 feet and one of the rear tires began to spin. backed up and tried at a different angle, still rear tire spin down. I went to 4wd and had no issues again. I can feel the tractor actually working now however, with the gangs at their most aggressive angles. I tilled the area over and over until it was very loose and deep. The tractor continued to pull the harrow in these conditions at the most aggressive angles. As long as 4wd is engaged the tractor can handle it. If I take it to 2wd one of the tires will eventually spin, so its a complete no go in 2wd at these aggressive angles. I never spun down or had any issue in 4wd however. I dont think I will be using this harrow at this most aggressive angle very much, its just really aggressive. I backed off to about the mid point on the gangs, and I like how it performs there, and wont put as much strain on the tractor. I was glad to see that the tractor will put it at its most aggressive and in some well tilled dirt. Ive turned the area to near powder at this point having made so many runs over it while testing. Im really impressed. This harrow is going to work out perfectly. Build Quality is excellent as well. It will last me for many many years I think.

The only problem is that its GREEN! So an orange tractor with a big green harrow. What a contradiction. Im sure Ill be getting lots of comments.

Last edited:

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Thought I would share 3 pics of the set up for anyone curious. If you look at picture 1 you can see how little clearance I have when the harrow is lifted to maximum.

Attachments

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
The only problem is that its GREEN! So an orange tractor with a big green harrow. What a contradiction. Im sure Ill be getting lots of comments.
As a farm boy, I NEVER remember my grandfather or dad worried about the color of their attachments....it's works, or doesn't.....'nuf said....:)

You're not taking your tractor and new disc to the Prom or a Fashion Show....you'll be fine!;)

Last edited:

BigG

Equipment
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Looks good ! It looks like you may be able to move the gangs toward the center which would improve the cut in the center of the disk. The back looks to be wide in the pictures.