New BX Owner and 1st Cold Start

bluedunn

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, MMM, Heavy Hitch Back Plow Blade
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
Hi-

Had our first 'real' cold morning so far here in VT - about 10 degrees Fahrenheit when I went out to warm up the car this morning. Since this is my first winter with my BX1860, I thought maybe I should see if it'll start up in the cold.

After warming the glow plugs for about 10 seconds, I cranked it and it fired right up, usual puff of black smoke, but then followed by some white smoke for 5-10 seconds and also some rough idling, which subsided quickly. I have not noticed either of these two things prior to the cold (the white smoke and the rough idle).

I don't have a block heater as they don't appear to be compatible with the BX1860 (well, they are but it's a dealer install and I don't have a way of getting my tractor to the dealer easily). I do treat my fuel with the white bottle of winter treatment. All filters recently changed as was the oil. The tractor is kept in an unheated garage and I do use a battery tender.

At any rate, I let it run for about 15 minutes before going to work with no issues.

My question: Is the short rough idle and/or white smoke anything to be concerned with or is this just par for the course with cold weather starting? Should I run the glow plugs longer? Also, should I throttle up a bit when starting or just after starting?

Thanks!

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
from your description I would tell you that all is normal. You may want to throttle up just a tad to smooth things out. Other than that everything sounds right.

No need to worry.

bluedunn

Equipment
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
from your description I would tell you that all is normal. You may want to throttle up just a tad to smooth things out. Other than that everything sounds right.

No need to worry.
Ok, thanks for the reply - now bring on the snow!!

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
Sounds fine. You could hit the glow plugs for a bit longer. The delivery guy told me 30 seconds, but that’s absurd. I usually run mine for 15ish seconds when it’s that cold out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jefferson

Equipment
L3200 fel, Bx 2380 fel,60"deck,50"fm snowblower,50"tiller, Brush hog
Oct 14, 2011
West Michigan, USA
Personally at 10 degrees I would hit the glow plugs longer for an easier smoother start. Jefferson

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Only thing I would add is that if you haven’t done so, I strongly recommend a synthetic motor oil that can get you to a 5w-40.

Spins much easier than a 15w when it’s cold.....

I’m in New York, and blown snow at -8F, thanks to lake effect.

Otherwise, I’m with the others...all good!

Last edited:

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
Agree with everyone else, In the cold a few seconds of white smoke after black smoke is normal. I wouldn’t worry too much on trying to get the glow plug time just right, if it starts, your good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bluedunn

Equipment
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
@RCW - Yes, one of the first things I did after getting the tractor in early Sept. was to change the oil and put in 5w-40 :)

@beex - Thanks for the confirmation; really helps me feel better about starting the bota up in the cold!

Tractor Dell

Equipment
Kubota BX23S
Jun 13, 2017
Central PA
@RCW - Yes, one of the first things I did after getting the tractor in early Sept. was to change the oil and put in 5w-40 :)

@beex - Thanks for the confirmation; really helps me feel better about starting the bota up in the cold!
You may have already done this, but be sure to add some anti-gel (Winterizer) to your fuel tank. If you don't and it gets too cold, you will have problems. Don't ask me how much fun it is to change a fuel filter when you can't feel your fingers..... :rolleyes:

bluedunn

Equipment
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
You may have already done this, but be sure to add some anti-gel (Winterizer) to your fuel tank. If you don't and it gets too cold, you will have problems. Don't ask me how much fun it is to change a fuel filter when you can't feel your fingers..... :rolleyes:
Sure did - started in early October just in case. I never thought I'd be thinking of fuel quality so much!

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
Sure did - started in early October just in case. I never thought I'd be thinking of fuel quality so much!

How cold does it get at night where you keep it?

I’m lucky that in the garage where I am it’s really rare to get below freezing inside, so I don’t worry about fuel gel problems, never had a problem. I do use PowerService conditioner for lube in the fuel.

I don’t really know at what temperature you have to worry about gelling.

bluedunn

Equipment
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
How cold does it get at night where you keep it?

I’m lucky that in the garage where I am it’s really rare to get below freezing inside, so I don’t worry about fuel gel problems, never had a problem. I do use PowerService conditioner for lube in the fuel.

I don’t really know at what temperature you have to worry about gelling.

It depends, but in the depths of winter it sometimes can get below zero overnight. The tractor is in an unheated garage, so it's out of the wind and elements, but it still gets cold in the garage. I also use PowerService in my fuel.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
NOW that you have it all fired up and you are happy,,, Go back in the house have another cup of coffee and let the little beasty warm up. Let the hydro oil warm up, engine warm up an then go play,,errrr I mean plow snow,, brrr its cold out there.. coff coff,, and dont let your better half see you smiling, cause if she does that will shoot the man I hate to go out and plow snow :D
OH and if you are out for a long time, maybe stop over to RK and pick up a set of heated shorts

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Skeets has seen this picture many times, but it reinforces his recommendation to get things warmed up.

We had 34” in about 8-10 hours. Tractor was working hard each time I went out. This was second pass on neighbor’s driveway.

I made several passes during the day, and gave it 15-20 minutes for warm up each time.

Last edited:

bluedunn

Equipment
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
Skeets has seen this picture many times, but it reinforces his recommendation to get things warmed up.

We had 34” in about 8-10 hours. Tractor was working hard each time I went out. This was second pass on neighbor’s driveway.

I made several passes during the day, and gave it 15-20 minutes for warm up each time.

That is incredible - great picture of the abominable snow tractor!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
That is incredible - great picture of the abominable snow tractor!
My favorite picture! My wife took it from the comfort of our 76 degree livingroom***8230; I was across the road from our house.

nice pics, I always wait for the snow to stop to plow.
Don't know where you're from, but even with a blower, there's times it is best to take a couple swats at it. 3 feet is a lot of snow. Heck, 18" is a lot of snow. 6" can be bad if it's wet...

This driveway is 200'+, double-width, with a big turn-around behind the house. I only did the back after everything fell....mistake. I got it, but could barely move...just creeping....snow falling over the top of the blower. Tough going...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
I’m mid-atlantic area. but I use the loader, so more fun when it’s deep, which isn’t often.