Salt Spreader on the BX

Oct 24, 2019
IN
Attached pic of pedestrian spreader with flaps to deflect salt downwards, works well for us.
This is basically what I'm using now, with the flaps. It's ok, but time consuming to station bags everywhere and do a mile of salting. Also, while the flaps help, the distribution is not great on a 60" sidewalk. I kind of get two thick lines 24" apart, with some sprinkling inbetween. Not even close to the even spread I could get with the proper machine.

Dennis.D

Equipment
L6060, Erskine hydraulic snow blower, back hoe
Feb 16, 2018
Central, ME,USA
I had a spreader on my New Holland TC30D years ago for salt. I washed the back of it down with water after every use, It still started to rust the swivel balls on the three point hitch and every paint chip had rust after the first year. If you plan on keeping your tractor for years, 5 and beyond I wouldn't salt with it. I now salt with a modified grass seeder. Less than $50, lasts 3 to 5 years throw it away and buy a new one. But my tractor isn't rusty.

Oct 24, 2019
IN
I had a spreader on my New Holland TC30D years ago for salt. I washed the back of it down with water after every use, It still started to rust the swivel balls on the three point hitch and every paint chip had rust after the first year. If you plan on keeping your tractor for years, 5 and beyond I wouldn't salt with it. I now salt with a modified grass seeder. Less than $50, lasts 3 to 5 years throw it away and buy a new one. But my tractor isn't rusty.
I guess no matter how careful you are, the salt still produces a fine dust. I notice this every time I dump a bag into my push spreader. A cloud of very fine salt dust plumes out. Worried me enough to avoid ever opening and dumping bags inside my garage, because I was afraid of where the fine salt dust would go.

I'll give your advice some weight.

kevinr7213

Equipment
G26 high dump, bx2200
Mar 6, 2018
Ireland
I guess no matter how careful you are, the salt still produces a fine dust. I notice this every time I dump a bag into my push spreader. A cloud of very fine salt dust plumes out. Worried me enough to avoid ever opening and dumping bags inside my garage, because I was afraid of where the fine salt dust would go.

I'll give your advice some weight.
Have you tried any used golf machinery websites to look at spreaders? Worth a shot something like this maby??
https://www.auctiontime.com/listing...ine/152819227/2001-redexim-easy-spread-1500tr

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
My first B7510 was used in the city for snow removal. If course it was being driven down the streets which had been salted. I've cured many of its cosmetic rust issues caused by that road salt, but some of the more mechanically-challenging issues I can't fix - parts now have to be cut off with a torch rather than unfastened.

Now I won't even remove snow in the subdivision at the end of our road. We're on gravel so all is ok, but the subdivision is paved, and salted.

No thanks, I'll stay as far away from salt as I can get. Life is just too short for that nonsense.

com12man

Equipment
Kubota b-2650 cab tractor .Bh -77 backhoe ,B2782 snow blower, B2775 plow, La534,
Aug 12, 2020
Eastport New York
Maybe the answer is kubota's new vs400 spreaders or the vs220 .A little expensive but you only live once.