Valve Stem Question

bluedunn

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, MMM, Heavy Hitch Back Plow Blade
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
Hi-

I had a new tube put in one of the rear tires of my BX and then had them re-loaded at the local dealer. After getting home I put the tire back on my tractor with the valve stem in the 6 o’clock position. When I went out into the garage this morning, I found about 1/2 of a teaspoon of fluid on the rim. It looked like it had dribbled out of the bottom of the valve stem, where it passes thru the rim (see attached). I contacted the dealer and he said that it was expected and it is residual, diluted fluid resulting from the tire being flushed out and was coming from in between the tire and the tube, being forced out the valve stem base and the rim. He said it may do this for a couple days. Before leaving for work I wiped away the fluid and found the same thing in the same amount when I got home tonight.

Anyone else experience this? I don’t have any reason to not trust what the dealer is telling me, but being a new tractor owner, I get antsy about stuff like this.

Attachments

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
What are your tires filled with?

Did you have it tubeless but had leaks hence the tube.

The dealers explanation makes sense assuming the inside of the tire was not dried out before reassembly or it could be some tire lube used to get the tire to seat on the rim. It should not continue for long. The only time to get concerned is if the tire starts loosing pressure which would indicate a leaking tube.

Dave

bluedunn

Equipment
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
What are your tires filled with?

Did you have it tubeless but had leaks hence the tube.

The dealers explanation makes sense assuming the inside of the tire was not dried out before reassembly or it could be some tire lube used to get the tire to seat on the rim. It should not continue for long. The only time to get concerned is if the tire starts loosing pressure which would indicate a leaking tube.

Dave
Thanks for the response.

The tires are filled with Rim Guard and yea, I did have tubeless but the tire wouldn't stop leaking, so in went the tube. Actually a long story that ended in my garage wall (and myself) being covered in tire ballast solution...but I digress.

He said they flushed the old fluid out (not sure what that was as I bought the tractor used) and then installed the tube. There doesn't appear to be any pressure loss that I can see and the amount of fluid by the valve stem is so small that I'm probably getting stressed over nothing, but new tractor owner = concerned about every small thing that actually may be ok.

Thanks!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Ok, as far as I can see that 'fluid' is coming from the inside of the tire an dnot the inside of the tube. If that is true, then the 'tire jockey' should be fired. At teh very least, have the tire/rim totally tore down ,PROPERLY cleaned, then install tube and refill.
There should NOT be a single DROP come out from between rim and tire. NOT ONE !!

Jay

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
That fluid is fine. It will stop coming out soon. If you put a dry tube in a dry tire and inflate, the tube won't seat evenly. Leaving a little fluid in the tire lets the tube seat evenly. If it's a new tube in a new (dry) tire, powder is often used instead to help the tube settle within the tire evenly. Either way, if it holds pressure you're fine.

bluedunn

Equipment
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
That fluid is fine. It will stop coming out soon. If you put a dry tube in a dry tire and inflate, the tube won't seat evenly. Leaving a little fluid in the tire lets the tube seat evenly. If it's a new tube in a new (dry) tire, powder is often used instead to help the tube settle within the tire evenly. Either way, if it holds pressure you're fine.
Thanks for the response!

It's actually subsided since I posted the picture, so yea, probably just tractor newbie jitters.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
if the liquid tasted salty, then you WILL have a problem...saltwater will EAT the rim though it may take 5-6 years....ask any farmer who 'loaded' his tractors tires.

bluedunn

Equipment
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
Just to close this out... The fluid originally pictured seems to have stopped and was, as many suggested (including the dealer), residual fluid from inside the tire from when a new tube was put in, but not leaking out of the tube. Thanks all for the reassurance on this!