replacing snowblower auger

dvto2

Equipment
Bx23 and implements
Feb 26, 2019
east granby
Any luck with the repairs?
I think so. I cracked the gear box and replaced one of the seals and managed to get it back together and I don't see any oil seeping out. I finally finished putting it back together today, one day before our first storm. We'll see how it holds up.

I was whining about getting the bolts that hold the drive shaft to the housing to stay in during reassembly (cause they are behind the secondary auger) and the parts guy suggested taping them in. Great tip which made that stage much easier.

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Don't forget to lube the chain with chain bar oil, and recheck all the lock screws after you work the blower for an hour or so. Also, your chain will stretch a little, so you might have to readjust it after the first storm.

wasatchmountains

Equipment
b2320
Mar 28, 2019
Fruit Heights, UT, USA
With the fan (item 3) shear bolt removed, does the fan rotate freely on the shaft? Perhaps the fan is preventing the shaft from sliding out.

Can you remove the bearing plate from the back side (chain sprocket side) to verify bearing is loose on shaft? Cut the bolts if necessary.

FYI... When rebuilding the same blower I added grease fittings to the fan, so grease could be pumped in to keep moisture/corrosion at bay. The fan rides on bronze bearings, but over time my blower had enough corrosion built up where the between the bearing preventing the fan from rotating on the shaft. Basically rendering the shear bolt useless.

Also added additional grease fittings to the augers for a total of three. Grease from center one and then use the end ones depending on how the grease flows.
Any chance you have any pictures of the grease fittings you added? I have a bx2750C blower and there are two holes in the auger where a grease fitting should go, but no zerk fittings. I purchased some 1/4"-28 grease fittings, but the hole is not threaded and they won't go in.

I thought about tapping/threading the holes, but the threads on the zerk fittings I bought are too long and will run into the shaft underneath. How did you do this? I'm assuming the grease is supposed to be in between the shaft and the auger?

Reading another thread, it looks like maybe you don't get screw in ones, rather, pressure/drive in ones that have barbs instead of threads?

Do I need to remove the auger from the shaft to do this, and are there special zerk fittings that are shallow enough to fit?

Any help on the size or where to find barbed zerk fittings that will fit would be helpful.

Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited: