BX vs B01 vs B50

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
A table I had made for BX and B01 when I was looking. I've seen a few questions on differences, so thought I'd post the full table including the B50 series (and now L2501 as well), because lots of people ask about the differences.

Really no question or point in the post beyond contributing back information I'd collected from the brochures on the Kubota website.

Also very relevant is the advice Neil Messick gives on the Messick's youtube channel - go and actually sit on the tractor rather than just doing internet research. The BX and B are much more different in real life than they appear on the spec sheet - the BX feels more lawn tractor size, the B more real tractor size (admittedly still very small tractor).

1593067308661.png

Other differences that aren't clear in the table:

• Since I made this the B50 series became the LX10 series - the 26HP is pretty much the same machine, the 33 is an entirely new engine without the emissions issues of the B3350
  • BX 80 series has the flat face couplers and manifold on the loader - much easier to detach. It's coming to the B01 2019.
  • B has a larger displacement, and the L larger still, so they make power at lower revs, and the engine is less stressed
  • B, LX and L have 3 speed, so top speed is higher, but also more pull in low gear
  • B and LX have bigger wheels - more traction, more ground clearance, smoother ride, less ground pressure. L interestingly has same size as the LX
  • B, LX and L have position control. This doesn't worry me, I don't do anything that requires an implement at a fixed height, my 3ph just goes up to top then back down to ground, but for anyone doing ground engaging tasks or running an implement like a box blade, plow or tiller this is really useful
  • All about the same size / footprint, slight growth as you move up models. Note the BX length is approximate, it's only quoted inclusive of 3ph, so I subtracted 100mm
  • The B, LX and L have split brakes, which explains the tighter turning circle on the B. You'll chew up your lawn if you actually do that. The L01 has split brakes on the right (same side as the hydrostatic / throttle) where the B, LX and the L02 have them now on the left. On the L the split brakes are hard to use for turning, as you have to take your foot off the hydrostatic, which means you stop moving. The arrangement the B has with the brakes on the opposite side to the hydrostatic is much better.
  • BX a bit more stable due to lower to ground, L also more stable than B due to wider footprint
  • B, LX and L 3ph I think has more range of motion as it's a taller tractor
  • Some comfort/ergonomic stuff is different - the BX is a newer model so has some good stuff, the B is a luxury model so has a lot of great features, the L tends to be a budget model with more metal but less ergonomics
  • B, LX and L can have backhoe added at a later date, makes it easier to make the decision to buy one without a backhoe and see later if you need one
  • B, LX and L have two pumps (one power steering, one FEL/3ph) rather than one. Means if you turn the wheels whilst using FEL, it doesn't slow down the cycle time, whereas on the BX it does. But if you look closely, that means the B (if you're not turning the wheels) flows less to the FEL than the BX does. I keep meaning to get on one and see if that turns into longer cycle time on the B than the BX - I've never seen anyone complain about it so I assume not. On the BX I never turn the wheels whilst using the FEL, or at least not so much that I've noticed the FEL going slow. I rarely run FEL at full revs anyway - the FEL is fast enough at about 2600-2800 revs on the BX. Interesting the L has less flow than the B
  • I've seen people say the steering geometry on the B makes it chew up the lawn more. Not sure the reality of that, but I suspect the BX is a bit better mowing. But unless you're making a bowling green, you'll probably not notice the difference - they're both good mowers (and I'll bet the B would mow faster, which I'd like - I mow at 3200rpm and flat out on some stretches in my BX, and I would happily go faster if it was geared for it - on a B you could mow in high range, which being a 3 speed is faster than the BX high range)
  • LX, B and BX have a mid PTO that can run a MMM or a front mounted snow blower. L does not.

In the US there's not that much difference in price between the BX and B01, and it seems to me that the B01 is a lot more tractor. There seems to be less difference between the two B models, the B50 (now LX10) is on a bigger frame and has more capacity, but many of the features are quite similar.

The L interestingly gets a lot of recommendations for being a heavier and more capable tractor. On the numbers it's definitely heavier, but in many ways it's not actually more capable than the LX. My take would be that if you're doing ground engaging work the L is more tractor, but if you're doing loader work, 3ph work or driving an implement that needs HP (but not weight) then an LX is probably a better choice. This would be particularly true if you're using it around the house/lawn and would benefit from a lighter tractor - you can always ballast the B or LX when you need it to be heavy. So L is more of a farm tractor, B and LX more of a lifestyle tractor.

EDITS: Added L2501 into table
EDITS: Added commentary on loader detach on BX 80, and coming to B01
EDITS: Updated BX series for new HP ratings (same engines though)
EDITS: Noted B50 became LX10, and L02 series moves split brakes to the left

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Very nice work Paul!!! Great information.
One piece of info many overlook when buying a tractor that has ground engagement uses....is the 1/4" valve VS the position control valve. I will tell you from 1st hand experiences.....1/4" is horrible compared to position control, excellent that you included that!

If'n you are bored one day - throw the L2501 into the mix!:D:)

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Thanks for the thought 85Hokie. Added in L2501. Really interesting how the specs break down - I had expected the L2501 on the numbers to have more performance than it does. It's definitely bigger and heavier, but it's actually less powerful and has lower capacities and sizes in some areas (for example ground clearance). Unless your use needs raw weight, I wonder whether a large frame B is better for many people.

Not sure how the prices break down, presume the L2501 HST may often be cheaper than the B2650? And presumably the L2501 gear model is always cheaper.

I also wonder whether in real world use the L2501 more capable than the specs say - the engine has a lot more capacity so probably a lot more torque - perhaps the numbers don't tell all the story?

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Ugh, you're right. That column in the table has shifted down one cell - everything's out by one. I've now fixed it.

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Thanks, I'm glad you found it useful. I'm sneaking up on a B2601 myself, just waiting for the new loader valve manifold to come out in 2019 (sometime).

Billstr

Equipment
Kx033-4g
Oct 20, 2018
North Sydney
The l2501 would be my pick. Good ground clearance, good pto power, the bh77 backhoe will work well on it, weight is key sometimes.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The l2501 would be my pick.
I initially thought this, but unless your application rewards raw weight, the B2650 lifts a little more, has a little more ground clearance, and has a little more PTO HP. And you can always add weight to a tractor, but it's hard to get rid of it when you want less. The L2501 also doesn't have a mid PTO.

To me, the real distinction is whether you have any "around the house" tasks. If the tractor is going to be inside the house section, mowing or other duties, then you don't really want the weight of an L. If your tractor is never inside the house section, then you should put Ag tyres on it, and an L is ideal.

I do note that the L2501 isn't available in NZ, so I've never seen one in person. I definitely get the impression that Kubota have under-rated the power it produces, so the tractor in real life may actually be quite a bit more tractor than it seems on paper.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Be advised that the B3350SU has neither mid PTO nor position control.

Not really an issue beyond units in dealer inventory as Kubota is no longer accepting orders for the 3350 or the 3350SU, as the common rail replacements are to be announced within days at the October dealer's meeting.

SDT

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Updated slightly for the changes in BX HP. Only gross HP changed, not PTO HP or anything about the tractor itself, so I assume it was just a change in how they measured.

eliot3b4

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Nov 7, 2019
Eliot, Maine
Thank you so very:) much for posting this.

I struggling with buying a BX 2680 vs BX 23S vs B2601. Any thoughts?

Driveway is 1500 and hills, feet 50 feet wide and 3 acres to mow. I have a zero turn to mow with, so the snow removal is a big thing as I live in Maine.

I'm looking at a front snow blower, front sweeper, cab, turf tires filled, etc.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

Driveway is 1500 and hills, feet 50 feet wide and 3 acres to mow. I have a zero turn to mow with, so the snow removal is a big thing as I live in Maine.

Again, the BX series does not have position control.

This is an absolute show stopper for me.

SDT

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ

BX23s has backhoe. If you need a backhoe, then that's the only BX to buy. If you don't need a backhoe, then don't get that model.

Between the BX and the B01, your property is plenty big enough to justify a B01. It's a bigger and better tractor, agree on the position control. It doesn't sound like you have any tasks that you do that a BX would do better than a B01 - so you're not mowing with it, doesn't sound like you have small spaces to get it in, I didn't hear you say you want to put it on a trailer.

So then it's just money v's size. If you can afford it, get the bigger tractor. If you can't the BX will do everything the B01 does, just slower.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

If you want a cab, the logical choice would be the B2650 any others will have to have an aftermarket cab added after you buy it.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
for snowplowing, I'd be looking at a 'used-abused-offhighway' JEEP or pickup, designated NHS 'plow vehicle'. A LOT cheaper than any tractor/blade combo. That's a looong driveway ,so a nice heated ride would be mandatory for me at 66.