B3200 No Start Just One Click

VincenT

Equipment
B3200HSD and Loader
Jun 6, 2017
Syracuse, NY, USA
Tractor is 4 years old with just 150 hours. Out of the blue it wouldn't turn over. The only sound when turning the key to start is one distinct click that seems to be coming from the solenoid or behind the firewall (might be the fuel pump relay - too hard to tell).

1. I've replaced the battery and get 13v & 500cca on tester.
3. Cleaned posts and connectors - check fuses, all OK.
3. Removed ground wire, cleaned contacts and reinstalled. NOTE: Jumpering the neg post to ground does not make a difference.
4. Because I am getting the "click" I know its not a safety switch - verified that by closing one and turning the key - no click. Open it, I get the click again.
5. If I short the solenoid's starter switch lead to the starter side post (with key in On position) I can crank and start the tractor. SO now I know we've got sufficient battery power to the solenoid and that the solenoid and starter aren't a problem.
6. I am thinking it is something in the starter switch circuit because, on a multi-meter, I get less than 0.04v going into the solenoid from the starter switch.
7. I don't have a wiring diagram but the problem could be a relay between the starter switch and the solenoid or just a bad switch?

Any cogent thoughts on this would be very welcome! Thanks mucho

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
So jumping starter makes it go. Ok thats good.
Starter solenoid small wire sees 12 volts while cranking then its a bad circuit,not carrying enough amperage.
Trace solenoid (crank) wire to its first junction and splice in a jumper. Or test wiring for resistance.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Tractor is 4 years old with just 150 hours. Out of the blue it wouldn't turn over. The only sound when turning the key to start is one distinct click that seems to be coming from the solenoid or behind the firewall (might be the fuel pump relay - too hard to tell).

1. I've replaced the battery and get 13v & 500cca on tester.
3. Cleaned posts and connectors - check fuses, all OK.
3. Removed ground wire, cleaned contacts and reinstalled. NOTE: Jumpering the neg post to ground does not make a difference.
4. Because I am getting the "click" I know its not a safety switch - verified that by closing one and turning the key - no click. Open it, I get the click again.
5. If I short the solenoid's starter switch lead to the starter side post (with key in On position) I can crank and start the tractor. SO now I know we've got sufficient battery power to the solenoid and that the solenoid and starter aren't a problem.
6. I was beginning to think it was the starter switch but on a multi-meter, it reads 12v+ going into the solenoid from the starter switch.
7. I don't have a wiring diagram but the problem could be a relay between the starter switch and the solenoid (but I am getting 12 v through it?)

Any cogent thoughts on this would be very welcome! Thanks mucho

anytime you get 12 volts.....that JUST says the wire is connected.......BUT if connected poorly, you can still get the 12 volts - but when those little ampy-poos need to move across a bad connection - thats when the problems start!

Now it could be the solenoid .....it is possible - they have contacts inside, and they do go bad.;)

VincenT

Equipment
B3200HSD and Loader
Jun 6, 2017
Syracuse, NY, USA
Frank & 85Hokie - Thanks. I retested the starter switch lead into the solenoid and come up with under 1v so I am thinking its a bad switch or a bad relay in that circuit. Still looking for a wiring diagram to see what is in the circuit. At least I can get the tractor running by jumping the solenoid.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Quite often there is a relay tied into your safety switches.

But before jumping into that. Check any quick connects and spade connectors in the wiring harness. Moisture or corrosion could be causing a bad connection supplying power too or from your key switch.

Also check fuses. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattN03

Equipment
2011 B3200, LA504 FEL w/B2366 SSQA conversion, BH76 BH, EA Wicked 55
Sep 5, 2016
KY
Mine did that and it was the hydrostatic pedal. It was sticking. I greased it and then had to lube a linkage. It was fine after that.

ihfr

Equipment
b3300su w/loader & backhoe
Jun 27, 2014
Barrington, IL
I have a 3300 which had the same issue. Try reaching***8203; down and pull up on the forward pedal... Then give it a try

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

VincenT

Equipment
B3200HSD and Loader
Jun 6, 2017
Syracuse, NY, USA
Thanks all. Safety switches (seat/pto/hydstat drive pedal) all check out. All contacts look good. Replaced the "Key stop solenoid" relay to no avail. 30 AMP solenoid fuse looks fine but I cannot find the "slow-blow" fuse (aka fusible link). WSM mentions it but does not show where it is.... However, because I am getting the "click" when turning the key, I am thinking its now the solenoid. That and the starter switch are the only components left.

I hate electrical issues - mechanical you can generally see. I feel like a blind man in a dark alley.

monteedwards

Equipment
B3200
Nov 17, 2019
Grant, al
So jumping starter makes it go. Ok thats good.
Starter solenoid small wire sees 12 volts while cranking then its a bad circuit,not carrying enough amperage.
Trace solenoid (crank) wire to its first junction and splice in a jumper. Or test wiring for resistance.
I have a similar problem with my B3200 except it does not start when I arch the posts to jump it. Instead of turning over I just hear a fast spinning sound from it. Battery is good. Your thoughts?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I have a similar problem with my B3200 except it does not start when I arch the posts to jump it. Instead of turning over I just hear a fast spinning sound from it. Battery is good. Your thoughts?
Usually this happens when you are not properly jumping the starter. You have just engaged the motor but not its drive to the flywheel.

The terminal with the battery cable on it needs to be jumped to the small terminal on the starter solenoid.

The wrong way is to jump the two large terminals.

Dave

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Dave gives good advice.

Many times a similar condition is caused by a bad battery or connections to a battery and tractor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Wiring diagram should be a requirement if you plan on doing any electrical stuff. I don't have one here at the moment but I think there is a relay in the circuit. I just can't remember where.

Is yours a cabin type or rops (open)?

Orange4X4

Equipment
L2350DT with loader , 52" Taylor Way , Ratchet Rake , Land Pride post hole
Aug 12, 2018
Concordia, MO
On my L2350 it was a bullet connector pulled apart below the steering column where it comes back from the clutch safety switch.
Sometimes it would start other times nothing happened.
The insulated boots still held the connectors together but as was stated
in other posts not enough amperage got through connector. Once I replugged bullet connector back together everything was fixed.

GrilleGuy

Equipment
BX2360
Mar 31, 2020
Salisbury, NC
I am fighting a similar issue on BX2360. It ran fine but got a bit hot - cleaned off the radiator and then went to start and glow plug indicators light in ON position but in the crank position I sometimes here a click where the cog wheel is advancing forward but it never tries to turn over. I have checked the voltage to the signal wire at the solenoid and it is only seeing 10.5V. I am assuming that the saftey circuits are OK otherwise the cog would not fir forward. Perhaps the safety switch is pulling the voltage so low that this is all it can manage (this is advice from my Pop - just giving credit). I had originally assumed starter and soloenoid so I ordered new and they came in today but odd thing is the new one has an extra lead coming off of the backside (large terminal between the starter and the solenoid) and it has a plastic connector on it. Other than that the two look identical. It seems that a good check may be to try and jumper from the main terminal (from battery) to the small signal connector on the solenoid and if it fires then I can assume I am just getting too little voltage into the signal wire and it could be a bad connection or a safety switch?

THANKS in advance!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I am fighting a similar issue on BX2360. It ran fine but got a bit hot - cleaned off the radiator and then went to start and glow plug indicators light in ON position but in the crank position I sometimes here a click where the cog wheel is advancing forward but it never tries to turn over.
The small wire coming off the starter can be disregarded, it's used in different models to output a signal to the run solenoid.

I think you better try and turn the engine by hand, if it wont turn you've cracked the head and filled a piston full of coolant!