What's cookin' boys?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Yum! All the things I like, and mashed potatoes instead of pie crust. Thank you. :)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yum! All the things I like, and mashed potatoes instead of pie crust. Thank you. :)
Like Daren says - - it's whatever you like!

I wasn't thinking, I did a beef/gravy-based one at a diner I used to work at - big seller, and real hearty.

I had to look it up - - - Wikipedia:

Shepherd's pie (ground/minced lamb) or cottage pie (ground/minced beef) is a meat pie with a crust or topping of mashed potato.[1][2][3][4][5]
The recipe has many variations, but the defining ingredients are minced red meat cooked in a gravy or sauce with onions and sometimes other vegetables, such as peas, celery or carrots, and topped with a layer of mashed potato before it is baked. The pie is sometimes also topped with grated cheese to create a layer of melted cheese on top.

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeah I don't like lamb never did so I use ground chuck, diced onions, some W sauce, a can of mushroom soup and some chicken broth to wash out the can and frozen mixed veggies and a shot of Heinz . Mashed taters and a big hand full of shredder sharp cheddar cheese mixed, and then some on top just for good measure :D Aint to bad for a one pot meal or meals

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I didn't cook this one, but it was my supper.

Iceberg lettuce, a whole Roma tomato, diced chicken, cheese, e/w Thousand Island dressing, croutons, & wheat thins. Judging by the fork you can see that it actually is a huge bowl and it was piled high.

Attachments

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I got the wife all to myself last night. I made her Beef Wellington. I Sous Vide cooked the filet to rare before starting the usual sear.

And I thought the cooking wore me out.

Beef Wellington.jpg

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I got the wife all to myself last night. I made her Beef Wellington. I Sous Vide cooked the filet to rare before starting the usual sear. ]

Something I’ve never made....looks so good![emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Our twin daughters and my prospective son-in-laws are coming for dinner from Philadelphia, PA and Santa Cruz, CA. All of them love a good steak.

Local ribeye, T-bone and Porterhouse:

Momma made a blueberry pie...looks juicy. I like them that way. My waistline shows....[emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Last spring and fall we caught a lot of brook trout and vacuum packed them for the freezer. Tonight we had a few. I love trout.

brookies.jpg

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
So 'splain a bit about the broiling??
Old method from my Grandmother. She would always say when cooking fish in an oven, make sure they have enough to swim in (butter) lol.

We cook them a dozen different ways depending on what else is on the menu.

I am very lucky in that my kids will eat whatever I put in front of them. Tonight was just me and one son.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I'll give you a hint on cooking trout. It tastes like whatever you cook it in, or does it?

Cook it fresh. MUCH better.

Ok another hint. GRILL it. Say....what? Yessir...grill them. Delicious; and real easy. How?

Prep....catch them, clean them, I like to filet and leave the skin & scales on. Some like the skin off but it holds the juices and gives the meat a wonderful flavor that you don't get with skinless filets. Pat them dry with paper towels. Sprinkle some blackened seasoning of your choice on them and cover them; room temp is fine.

Now then...I make my own compound butter, well I make my own butter from scratch but it's basically the same as real butter you buy in the store. So grab a stick of butter (sticks work best) and let it sit at room temp for a little bit to soften up. Once soft (not melted just soft), mix in your favorite spices and mash it all up. Then grab a piece of wax paper and roll the butter up tight in wax paper, stick it in the fridge and let it cool & firm back up.

Now then...the grill. First off the closer the grate "bars" are to each other, the better. Trout is real flaky and you don't want them more than about 3/4" apart, 1/2" is better and 1/4" even better. I use both expanded metal and sometimes a GrillGrate (google it...). Mostly the GrillGrate because it cooks a little easier. I also cook over charcoal or real wood (wild black cherry this evening). Grates need to be clean. Fire up the grill, get it hot. about 400-450 at the most. Leave the grates off until the last few min before you put the fish on. Once the grates are on, spray or wipe them with oil, I use olive oil but canola works too and there is no difference in taste. I also like to put some oil on the fish. Fish skin side UP for a couple minutes, turn (don't flip) let it cook another few minutes, then flip skin side down. You CAN just do it skin side down but you have to keep the heat a little lower or the fish will stick. Once the edges start to turn brown, it's done. Don't overcook (you'll ruin it). A couple minutes or so before you take the fish off the grill, put a pat of butter on the fish and let it melt into the meat; I like it to be about half melted when I take them off the grill and they'll melt the rest of the way while I'm cooking up veggies or getting the cornbread out of the oven. I make my own cornbread too, and have plenty of canned veggies to last about a year (bought a house that was owned by an older lady who left me a TON of canned stuff). By time the lil'uns and the ole lady are gathered round the table and thanks are returned, the butter will be melted into the fish; and the flavor will make you slap your momma. Well maybe not but it IS the best way I've found to cook fish; especially trout. I've also done it on cedar planks and that's not my cup of tea so to speak; I just prefer it on the halfshell over charcoal. Recipe courtesy of the Arkansas Game and Fish commission cook book, that recipe is also on youtube (walleye on the half shell).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46wEJE45Su4

Last year I was on the gulf fishing and hung a few snapper and a couple of spanish mackerel. Guide says they're both good to eat; and said take them to the bar behind the marina and ask them to cook 'em up for you. They grilled them. Same deal as the trout but their seasoning is to die for. I gotta find out what it is.

Same recipe above works for almost all kinds of common fish that are edible. But I've done snapper grouper catfish walleye crappie brown, rainbow, and cutthroat trout, LM bass and a nice hybrid bass-they're all pretty good but walleye is the best with snapper right behind. Snapper is a probably the easiest to cook because it's a little firmer. You can usually buy snapper in stores that have a real meat department; if you can find it fresh it's a little better than frozen.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Right out if the creek is the best. Never understood catch and release, why bother if you can't eat them???

We used to fish tiny little creeks in the Sierras, some so narrow you could jump across them. Drift a worm down under an undercut bank....

My dad just breaded them in flour and salt and pepper, shook off excess fry in oil deep enough to cover at least half way up. Or sometimes bacon fat.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Fresh is great. Frozen in January when you can't catch them is great too.

I had over 100 of them from last year, so vacuum packing and freezing them is the best for us. I have less than 20 now, so it is about time to get back out there.

My favorite for brookies is 2 minutes in a pan.

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
This brings back memories. When my kids were growing up, I used to get up Saturday mornings to go salmon fishing in Lake Michigan. I would have my limit by 8:00 to 8:30 in the morning. I would be out of the water, fish cleaned, and getting home by 9:00 AM when my kids were just getting up and around for the day. I would cook them breakfast with the nice fresh salmon or steelhead just caught and cleaned. They would be standing around me waiting while I was cooking it. As soon as the first piece was out of the pan they would pounce on it. It was like baby birds in a nest crowded around with their mouths open waiting for food.

They still love fish, and still talk about how good that fresh fish was in the morning when they got up. They also have said they can't get fish that taste as good from anywhere else. Brings a smile to my face everytime I think about it.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

KTuk4J

Equipment
B2650 Duetz Allis 6275 CAT D6 CAT 110B
Mar 2, 2020
NW OR
One thing I have found up here in Oregon is Trout can take easily take on the flavor of what they eat and where they thrive.

Some are light and mild like some whitefish, others tasting like steelhead, and those which are just down right muddy tasting! ;)

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Fresh is great. Frozen in January when you can't catch them is great too.

I had over 100 of them from last year, so vacuum packing and freezing them is the best for us. I have less than 20 now, so it is about time to get back out there.

My favorite for brookies is 2 minutes in a pan.
In the days before vacuum packing, when quarts of milk came in waxed cardboard boxes ( this was after the milkman stopped delivering them in glass bottles :D ) my dad would pack the little trout into them tightly and maybe some water? Tape shut and freeze. They don't seem to have brookies near me in mid Michigan, and the fly fishing streams further north are all catch and release. Sigh. No decent fish in years. :(