ANOTHER B2601 vs B2650 (MMM & Leaves though)

madosta

Nov 14, 2015
Michigan
Ok. I sold my BX1800 back to my uncle only because he wanted it back. HA. :'(

I live on 5 acres and like to be outside messing around.

Here's what I would use a new Kubota for:

Turf Tires

Loader with SSQA
- work around the yard
- leveling, lawn repair and seeding
- mulch
- powered wheel barrow
- plowing snow, probably a pusher box
- 3rd function and grapple for wood and brush

3pt
- Box blade/land plane for leveling
- Carryall
- Leaf Vac (Like the protero but maybe homemade)

MMM - 60"
- Leaf pickup
- Wife can run it (doesn't run my zero turn)

My biggest IDEA is using it as a leaf pickup machine. I currently use a zero turn to mow, and have been looking at baggers that mount to it, but think one on the 3pt would be the best option and I could go PTO powered. Definitely must be dump from seat.

I like the bigger frame 2650, but not sure I *NEED* it. Have a 510 backhoe and other tractors.

Question:
Does the mower deck make a difference between suspended/ground contact as they are different between the two when mounting a leaf vac hose to the deck?

I can see benefits to either. I have a lot of trees to mow around and know that a tractor will never compete with a zero turn, but I need something for LEAVES, so many leaves. Currently I use a 16hp leaf loader and fill a 6x10 dump trailer 4 times.

Leaf Attachment Options
- Protero PV 18 PTO
- Terra King TKV 20
- HastyVac/Tracvac etc.
- Kubota - does kubota offer a bin style for the BX/B series? Do not want the 3 bag.

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Both tractors will do what you describe, and I cannot comment on the specific question about the different style of mower deck and implications for mounting a leaf pickup.

In general terms though, I can say:
  • both tractors have same HP
  • B2650 has a wider mower deck, 72 inch v's 60 inch is quite a big difference (20% more on paper, but you have some overlap as well, so maybe 25-30% difference in machine time)
  • bit more lift capacity and weight in the B2650, which may or may not matter for your tasks, sounds to me like either would do it but a bit of speed/time difference
  • budget of course. If you have the money, of course get the B2650. You don't describe any tasks where a B2650 would be too big, so why not go with the larger machine
  • if you're buying new, there's a new machine coming out. The B2650 has become LX2610, and there's an LX3310 or something - more HP. Could run a bigger leaf collection system. Can sometimes be a fool's errand waiting for the next model, but it's actually pretty close now
  • I'd consider SSQA forks as well. Useful for all sorts of things

Oct 24, 2019
IN
Have you priced out the 4 different leaf vac options? If so, can you post the prices?

I just bought a DR Power Pro XL321. Unfortunately, my tractor order is long delayed, so I haven't been able to run it with a mower yet. I have towed it around with my car and sucked up leaf piles off the curb using the hose. So far, I'm impressed with it. Not sure it would worth the extra cost for the more powerful engine though.

The reason I shied away from 3PH mounted units was volume. The DR is 2-3.5 times the storage of those 3PH mounted units, and I'm already glad I went that route, after finding how many times I could fill the thing in a day. Each load, I have to drive a few blocks to dump, and then drive back. If you're just dumping someplace nearby on your own property, or dumping into a trailer nearby, then there is less cause for more volume.

Another advantage I can see is that a trailer unit puts less weight on more tires, so maybe less damage to the lawn.

I also like that it is a self-contained unit. More than once already, I've dropped the lawn vac off at someone's house and let them use it in a stationary manner. Just blow the leaves into a pile and suck them all up. A strong person can haul the lawn vac around by hand. I think I'll also order a 28ft 8" hose with handle, as there are many situations where there is no access for anything that can't fit through a small gate.

Last, I actually am impressed with the quality of the trailer. I didn't think I'd actually care about the trailer, but I definitely see myself taking the top off and using the trailer by itself.

The only thing I don't like is the noise and the dust. I think I can do some work to mitigate the dust. Something that runs off the PTO will surely be quieter than a lawn vac with its own engine.

Last edited: