GPS Tracking for Tractor

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
Anyone have a GPS tracker for their tractor? Curious on what to get.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Just get better insurance, GPS will not do you much good at getting it back, most police agencies will not use any information from a GPS tracker. ;)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Just get better insurance, GPS will not do you much good at getting it back, most police agencies will not use any information from a GPS tracker. ;)
Ain't that the truth. We had a truck stolen at work that had lojack. We ended up calling lojack, getting the GPS coordinates, and going and finding the damn thing ourselves. Then called the cops and had them come out while we sat on it in the middle of the sticks.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
We use Telematics on our equipment at work. But it's more of a location feature that we use to keep track of the equipment. Techs and delivery drivers got an app on our phones to locate the piece of equipment. Or I can log in to our service software, and link to the locating software. Ping the GPS and it will pop the location up on Google maps. It's handy if the person who calls in the service call or pick up on a piece of equipment, but can't tell you where it is.

Not sure how much it costs. But all of our equipment over a certain value has it installed.

That being said, a GPS unit can be disabled in under 10 seconds. ;)

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
We use Telematics on our equipment at work. But it's more of a location feature that we use to keep track of the equipment. Techs and delivery drivers got an app on our phones to locate the piece of equipment. Or I can log in to our service software, and link to the locating software. Ping the GPS and it will pop the location up on Google maps. It's handy if the person who calls in the service call or pick up on a piece of equipment, but can't tell you where it is.

Not sure how much it costs. But all of our equipment over a certain value has it installed.

That being said, a GPS unit can be disabled in under 10 seconds. ;)
-how can they be disabled (if hidden?)

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
This isn't really about putting tracing on the tractor, but when you post pictures of your tractor on some of the other message board, they don't strip out the GPS location that the picture has if taken with most cell phones. I have asked the board operators to do so, but they didn't reply or do anything about it. I haven't seen any GPS information in pictures on OTT. I have told a lot of people that post pictures where the tractor was when the picture was taken. I don't know of anyone that has used this information to steal a tractor, but with knowing what type of tractor and where it is would make it pretty easy to steal what you are looking for.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Another thing to take into account with GPS. Most require some form of line of site and don't function properly surrounded by a bunch of metal.

Had a customer run into this one. They put GPS units on there equipment for locating purposes, and to keep track of them. They had a light tower stolen by someone they just canned. The last GPS ping was from the persons driveway. But it wasn't enough probable cause for the cops to be able to search the property.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
There is ( should ? ) be an option on every 'smart device' to strip the GPS data as well as device data from the pictures BEFORE sending them 'somewhere'. I'm fed up of upsidedown tractors for sale as poster's don't 'lock orientation'.
Real good GPS devices will have 30 day battery life. Mediocre home PC software will have 'out of range' feature to alert you the tractor is stolen.

Jay