BX2380 PTO Engagement Delay

dsims

Equipment
BX2380 60"Drive Over/SSQA Loader
Feb 23, 2019
Clear Lake, IA
I'm just curious to know if what I am experiencing is typical for the BX family. What is the usual amount of time for the PTO to engage after moving the lever? When I first bought mine a year ago it seemed like less than 5 seconds, but lately that time seems to have grown to 10+ seconds.

I thought maybe it would improve after the first 50 hour service, but haven't noticed any difference.

Is this delay normal for the BX, or do I have something going on here. It seems unusual to me to have such a delay for PTO engagement compared to all the other equipment I've ever run.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Depends how slowly you move the lever?

PTO should engage as the lever nears the bottom of the track, prior to the lock detent. Timing will depend how quickly you move the lever.

If you're saying you have the lever locked in the detent for 5-10 seconds, then the PTO kicks in, you have a problem.

dsims

Equipment
Feb 23, 2019
Clear Lake, IA
Depends how slowly you move the lever?

PTO should engage as the lever nears the bottom of the track, prior to the lock detent. Timing will depend how quickly you move the lever.

If you're saying you have the lever locked in the detent for 5-10 seconds, then the PTO kicks in, you have a problem.
Mine has never kicked in as the lever moves. I was told the BX has a hydraulic clutch that has a slight delay, it just seems like my delay keeps getting more delayed.

At work, we have an F series mower, and its lever immediately engages its PTO, just as you describe. When I first bought my BX2380 I was surprised it was different.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Do you engage it at idle?

I have the BX23S and that engages immediately!

dsims

Equipment
Feb 23, 2019
Clear Lake, IA
Do you engage it at idle?

I have the BX23S and that engages immediately!
I've tried idle, and I've tried about mid throttle as the manual actually says (it says to reduce from full power?). I guess I'll give the dealer a call then. Still under warranty.

dsims

Equipment
Feb 23, 2019
Clear Lake, IA
Called my Kubota dealer I purchased my BX from about the problem. He did say it should only be a couple of seconds so something must be going on. Bad news, they are no longer a Kubota dealer since last month. Now I've got to find another dealer farther away and haul it in for warranty work. :mad:

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
im still learning so may have this wrong, but my understanding was that on BX it's electrically actuated? I thought the lever was just hitting the switch. Mine comes on within a second or two. I think that's why BX PTO have a tendency to be abrupt even at idle engagement.

dsims

Equipment
Feb 23, 2019
Clear Lake, IA
im still learning so may have this wrong, but my understanding was that on BX it's electrically actuated? I thought the lever was just hitting the switch. Mine comes on within a second or two. I think that's why BX PTO have a tendency to be abrupt even at idle engagement.
My understanding is that it is hydraulically actuated.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
My BX2200 is about 15 years old.

From day one and still today activation is immediate if I move the lever to the on position, at idle speed.

I even trimmed the indent between positions to make it easier to feather the lever to the on position. If I move the lever VERY slowly it is occasionally possible to get the blades to start turning without a huge jerk.

I ALWAYS turn the mower on at idle speed.

Years ago a guy I worked with bought a used BX22 that took about 10 seconds for the mower to start turning after the front PTO was selected on. Do not remember what the fix was...but remember it was hydraulic related.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Don't know about the little tractors but both my M's have wet pack pto clutch's and both have externally adjustable valves on the side of the transmission case that controls how quickly the pack locks up and how much lock up pressure is applied.

You might want to consult the WSM for the required pressure on the pack and where the valve is located on the tractor or if it is even accessable.

On my M's, it under the left floorboard midway on the transmission case.

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
The BX pto clutch has no electronics to engage. It is a hydraulic valve your actuating mechanically with the clutch lever that causes oil pressure to engage a multi-plate wet clutch. It should engage instantly, not even a short delay, before the lever is reaches the lock position.

If there is any delay there is something wrong. I would guess the hydraulic valve is not opening all the way, or there is spring tension problem in the valve linkage....

If you move the lever very slowly you can open the valve partially and get a less abrupt pto engagement. But that is not how this unit is designed to work. It is designed to quickly engage so there is minimal clutch slippage. On a bx size machine, the stuff your driving on the PTO can handle the quick engagement no problem. I crack the trotted a little above idle first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
The BX pto clutch has no electronics to engage. It is a hydraulic valve your actuating mechanically with the clutch lever that causes oil pressure to engage a multi-plate wet clutch. It should engage instantly, not even a short delay, before the lever is reaches the lock position.

If there is any delay there is something wrong. I would guess the hydraulic valve is not opening all the way, or there is spring tension problem in the valve linkage....

If you move the lever very slowly you can open the valve partially and get a less abrupt pto engagement. But that is not how this unit is designed to work. It is designed to quickly engage so there is minimal clutch slippage. On a bx size machine, the stuff your driving on the PTO can handle the quick engagement no problem. I crack the trotted a little above idle first.

the instant on engagement is why I wrongly thought it was electrically actuated, thank you for explaining this!

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
it does seem like an electric clutch. But I’m glad it is not, electric clutches fail a lot. The BX clutch has 4 plates, plus a drag brake plate, it’s quit a rugged unit, never heard of one failing

The OP who says his is engaging slow with a delay is puzzling, I cannot see how that happens, unless there is oil blockage flow to the clutch piston that pushes on the clutch plates

dsims

Equipment
Feb 23, 2019
Clear Lake, IA
The OP who says his is engaging slow with a delay is puzzling, I cannot see how that happens, unless there is oil blockage flow to the clutch piston that pushes on the clutch plates

One of my theories is maybe some of the silicon sealant or some other blockage got into the system? I had quite a bit of the silicon in the screen at my 50 hour service, so I opted to fully replace the transmission/hydraulic fluid at that point. The hydro is now much quieter with the new SUDT2 fluid, but it didn't fix the clutch issue. I understand there may also be a pressure adjustment as well. I'm waiting for my next weekend off from work to transport my tractor to the nearest dealer.

dsims

Equipment
Feb 23, 2019
Clear Lake, IA
Just a follow up on this thread. I took my BX into the dealer. Just as suspected, they found a piece of silicon material blocking the flow of hydraulic fluid to the valve.

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
Just a follow up on this thread. I took my BX into the dealer. Just as suspected, they found a piece of silicon material blocking the flow of hydraulic fluid to the valve.

good to know, thanks for the update, glad you got it fixed

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
I`d be curious to know where they actually found the silicone material... in a screen of some sort somewhere that they can pull out to clean it out...?

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I`d be curious to know where they actually found the silicone material... in a screen of some sort somewhere that they can pull out to clean it out...?
We usually find it in the very small ports in the PTO valve itself. Unfortunately Kubota didn't make it easy to get that valve out! It could have been a 20 minute job with a small modification to the frame but the way they are built it means removal of the transaxle. A 10 or so hour job!

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
We usually find it in the very small ports in the PTO valve itself. Unfortunately Kubota didn't make it easy to get that valve out! It could have been a 20 minute job with a small modification to the frame but the way they are built it means removal of the transaxle. A 10 or so hour job!
The only filter protecting the steering and pto on a BX is the suction screen. the hydraulic filter comes after them and really just protects the HST. Of course eventually it does filter all the oil but anything that falls into or washes off the inside or the transaxle must go through the suction screen, the steering valve and the PTO circuit before it gets to go through the HST filter.

lunasdude

Equipment
Kubota BX1880, FEL, quick con pto, box bld, land plane, flail mower
Dec 22, 2018
Los Lunas, NM USA
I am wondering if it's just a perception kind of thing.
When I first got my Bx 1880, the first time I engaged the PTO it took a second which I believe is the time it takes you to move the lever.
Then it engaged and SCARRED THE S%%T out of me!:eek:
Very abrupt depending on the implement you have attached!

I'm finally getting used to it but it seems to have a weird perceptible delay then a BOOM! when it kicks in.

Just my two credits worth.