Buying a new BX23s and need advice on snowblower options

Tommy C

Oct 11, 2019
Rochester
Hi,

I'm hoping someone could give me a little insight. I'm buying a new BX23s and I need a snow blower attachment for my 300 yard driveway. I told the sales rep and he said to get a rear pto run snow blower and use the bucket too. I thought about and I don't think wrenched sideways in the middle of winter would be fun. So I called and said I want a front blower. So now he says to put a blade upfront and rear snow blower. Try it out for a season and if I don't like it trade it in. Why is he pushing this rear system so much? Any help would be great.Oh also is there something I should defiantly buy now right now?

Tom

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Perhaps he's having trouble moving rear snow blowers or maybe he's stuck with one nobody wants. Stick to your guns. Find a different salesman. I don't believe I'd want a rear blower either for a driveway that long!! You could always get a rear blade if you want to attack snow backwards.

FUSE

Equipment
B3350-B2650-Z125s-KX008-Bobcat MT100-Case/Davis TF310
May 24, 2017
North Dakota
You don't want a rear blower.....invest in the front mount. He's got that backwards IMO, most prefer to get the front mount and then put a rear blade on the 3 point....

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Rear mount snow blowers are a lot cheaper and easier to attach, and allow you to still have an implement on the FEL. He's actually giving good advice in some ways. Someone on here uses a large mirror to look behind them, and that actually sounded like a good solution.

Having said that, front mount snow blowers exist for exactly the reason you say - to avoid having to look behind you. So if you care about that, yeah, spend the money on a front mount.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I’ve used a front mount snowblower for a long time.
There some occasions I wish it was a 3ph for the reasons noted. Not often, but sometimes.
As far as $$$, you’re looking at ~$4-5k for a front mount, depending on model and options.
What is he quoting for a 3ph? I’m curious the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tommy C

Oct 11, 2019
Rochester
I am all set and thank you all for the input. I pulled the trigger on a front snowblower and did the rear blade on the 3 point hitch.

Tommy C

Oct 11, 2019
Rochester
He quoted the rear around 2200 I think. So all said and done the front snowblower was $1500.00 more.

I***8217;ve used a front mount snowblower for a long time.
There some occasions I wish it was a 3ph for the reasons noted. Not often, but sometimes.
As far as $$$, you***8217;re looking at ~$4-5k for a front mount, depending on model and options.
What is he quoting for a 3ph? I***8217;m curious the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yeah front PTO style mount is 2X$ rear PTO... AND you lose loader ability..
a 3rd option is to buy a SSQA gas powered snowblower. Up here they're about $8K out the door... so I'm building my own for less than $500 and some 'stuff' lying around here...

I posted couple picture here...'somewhere'....

Jay

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Not sure I would get a blower with no cab on the tractor. Are you considering the time it will take to get the front mount blower off and on? I believe there is a separate mounting system you have to install before use.

Also be sure you have some ballast if you are adding that much weight to the front, otherwise rear wheels wont get much traction in the winter.

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
I run a snow pusher on loader, and my BH for for traction. A rear blower with my pusher up front would be a great snow fighting machine.

The downside to a rear blower is sitting sideways... my back would hate it. 300***8217; isnt that far, but a heavy wet storm and blowing at .8 mph would get old real quick...

Front blower, with rear plow blade??

FUSE

Equipment
May 24, 2017
North Dakota
I had the front mount on our BX2680, just had the Kubota wheel weights and it did just fine...…

After initial install you can take the blower on and off in about a minute.

Charlie5320

Equipment
BX2670
Jan 8, 2018
Springfield, IL.
Not sure I would get a blower with no cab on the tractor. Are you considering the time it will take to get the front mount blower off and on? I believe there is a separate mounting system you have to install before use.

Also be sure you have some ballast if you are adding that much weight to the front, otherwise rear wheels wont get much traction in the winter.
Well going from the loader and deck to the front blower takes me about 20 minutes and I'm 69 years old. To go from the front blower to a front blade takes me maybe 3 minutes. To go from the blade back to the blower about 5 minutes because getting the drive shaft reattached. I've had small tractors with front mount snowblowers for about 40 years, this Kubota is the easiest yet. I wouldn't want a 3 point blower if I were 30 years younger.

rlcotter

Equipment
BX23S Cab;3pt Blade;HLA Snow Pusher;BX Armour;HLA Fork;Ratchet Rake, Snow Edge
Mar 24, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Madmax31,

What do you think of the snow pusher? I have just ordered one for my BX23S. I have been using a the FEL and rear blade and I would prefer to do most of my work looking forward.

Just thought it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the pusher.

Thanks, Les.

FUSE

Equipment
May 24, 2017
North Dakota
We have a landpride pusher on the 2650, used it on our bx23s before the 2650 and it did OK.....BX Tractor was a little light but smaller bites and keeping speed up for momentum and it did the trick. I prefer the pusher over a plow but its tough to beat the front blower on these small tractors IMO

Last edited:

eliot3b4

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Nov 7, 2019
Eliot, Maine
Tom, I own a John Deere 3320 (much anger than the BX 23S). The rear facing snow blower is one royal pain in the neck. I would not buy that set up again.

Seemed like a good idea at the time. Just taking the snow blower on and off is a battle if it is in the rear of the machine.

so, I am curious why you choose the BX 23S and not the BX 2680. Any advice for me?

I am going to remove snow from my driveway which is about 1500 feet, mow my yard. I do not want a large machine any more. Other than plowing and mowing, no need for a larger machine. Thoughts?

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
I went with the 54" Commercial front mount on my BX2680. Greatest thing I did. Have been thru two winters with it. I can switch to my loader in about 5 minutes. The new style K drive system is a snap to get on and off. DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT A REAR MOUNT, trust me I tried it and it sucked.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have a BX22 with a front blower for the past 15 years, and have never regretted it. I also purchased a front blade to clear any ice that might build up. A few weeks ago, we had snow, and then rain on top of that. I used the front blade to clean that up. It takes only a few minutes to put either one on, and I have never used my back blade. I do have a Kubota rear box that is filled with about 500 pounds of weight, and filled tires. I blow or plow using turf tires, without chains, and I think that I got stuck once or twice in the early days, because I wasn't watching what I was doing. After the first year with the blower, I purchased a Curtis cab and it makes a world of difference. I suggest that you not purchase the back blade, and purchase the Kubota blade that will mount in place of the snow blower. With a front blade, you have the luxury of down pressure to scrape to the pavement. I am using a steel cutting edge on the blade, and I have never done any damage to my asphalt. I have to buy a new cutting edge every 5 or 6 years, and it doesn't break the bank.
Enjoy your new tractor, and start saving for a cab!