Radio installation??

5 kubotas

Equipment
m7040 cab tractor, RTV 900, GZ20 zero turn, G1800 Lawnmower,
May 9, 2012
Dozier, Al. USA
I just bought an M7040 cab Kubota which did not have a radio installed. When I asked the dealer about it, he said he would buy one from a local shop and have it installed. I knew I could buy a radio cheaper than the price he quoted. However I am unsure as to the installation. Does it require a mount to install it in the headliner? I removed the blankoff plate and found the wiring and antenna lead. Just don't know if the headliner will hold up the radio.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Wildfire would be the only member I could think of to ask and see what he knows. If anybody on here would have any idea how to mount a radio I know he will.

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
Wildfire would be the only member I could think of to ask and see what he knows. If anybody on here would have any idea how to mount a radio I know he will.
Thanks Eric. You give me way to much credit my friend :D.
To the OP. you did good by not letting the stealer oh. I meant to say dealer sell you a radio. I've done a few of them in the Grand L series tractors.

The first thing you'll need to do is check and see if the short radio harness is there in the roof. What I mean by short harness is that the harness I'll be one that will have a plug on it and plug directly into the main harness. If its there you'll just need to wire it into your new radio. If its not there you'll need to order one from your Kubota dealer. The cost should run around $20.
The other thing you'll need to do is make sure the radio bracket is in the roof. It should be. It was in the grand L tractors tat I've done so all you have to do is adapt that new radio to your bracket.

Now I really hate to dirrect anyone to another site but in this case I have to because the thread I started over there n this subject is pretty involved but by the time you read it you'll be good enough to do the install yourself.
Your speakers should be in pace but I changed mie out for a better quality set but I'm a bit weird like that. :D

Here's the link. Hope it helps.

Oops. My bad. I actually did post it in this site as well so here's the link. Don't you laugh Eric. When you get to my age you'll forget things too :D
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3681

Last edited:

KenB2920

Equipment
L5240 brush hog,flail mower,wicked grapple,tiller,Danuser F-8 PHD,BB,RB 7' rake
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
Help me out wildfire. I chose not to purchase the stock radio. I Removed the rubber cover and observed the antenna plug in the space but not harness. Is this harness just floating in there? I purchased an alpine radio and was looking to install it next week.

I found a website Agriradiosupply.com that sells harnesses for tractor radios.

I was hoping to buy this harness to I could plug and play but I wanted to make sure the match up. Help, I want to rock out in my new cab.

Wildfire

Equipment
Help me out wildfire. I chose not to purchase the stock radio. I Removed the rubber cover and observed the antenna plug in the space but not harness. Is this harness just floating in there? I purchased an alpine radio and was looking to install it next week.

I found a website Agriradiosupply.com that sells harnesses for tractor radios.

I was hoping to buy this harness to I could plug and play but I wanted to make sure the match up. Help, I want to rock out in my new cab.
Not sure what tractor you have but if its a Grand L you can pick up the short harness at your Kubota dealership. It cost about $20. and plugs right into the tractors harness. All you need to do then is wire it up to your new stereos wires. You just wont be able to plug'en play. You have to splice the ew harness to the new radios harness. While your doing that get yourself a high quality speakers like I used which was the Infinity and put them in. Your ears will love you for it and you'll be rock'en and roll'en all day long. :D

KenB2920

Equipment
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
Speakers will be in the future when it warms up outside.

Regarding the harness. Where does it plug in? I see in photos a white 7 pin harness. ( I realize I have to splice wires, I misspoke) I was under the impression, I could disconnect a harness from the cab, wire it to the radio harness, then plug one side into the cab and one side into the radio.

I am not sure I am explaining myself clearly, it has been a long day.

KenB2920

Equipment
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
Sorry, to clarify, I just purchased a L3540 with cab on Wednesday. Saaaaweeet.

Wildfire

Equipment
Sorry, to clarify, I just purchased a L3540 with cab on Wednesday. Saaaaweeet.
Congrats on the new unit. I was just answering your other post on your new unit. When you get the new mini harness it will plug into a white connect that's in the radio opening. It might be taped to the side of the opening or a bracket but it is there. Have a look at my thread on the subject. It may help you out.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3681

Attachments

Wildfire

Equipment
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/1163942#!i=54341194&k=FD8X7jp

In photo 2 and 3 there is a white harness. I don't see this on my tractor. I wish I could post photos from my iPad (doenst seem to work) I have to email them from my phone, the upload them from a computer. :-/
The radio master harness is right in your photo long side the antenna plug. It's white. The Kubota mini harness plugs into that. Your set up is a little different than the 4240 and 5740 but the plug is the same

Attachments

KenB2920

Equipment
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
Picture 5 in that post helps me out. I will have to take another peek and see where that little bugger is hidden.

Thank you for the purchase. I have been reading your posts for 2 years. I envy your tractor. I now have the baby version of yours. However she looks naked compared to all your gizmos. A great feeling being warm when plowing snow.

I love my cab lights ( so I thought). I saw your post where you managed to mount the sun to your cab and light up the world. You then turned on your factory lights :-( ... Again, envy....

KenB2920

Equipment
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
The photo in the link i attached is not my tractor. It was the closest thing I could find to describe the harness. I think your photo was perfect. I just have to continue digging around up there to see if I can find it.

Wildfire

Equipment
Picture 5 in that post helps me out. I will have to take another peek and see where that little bugger is hidden.

Thank you for the purchase. I have been reading your posts for 2 years. I envy your tractor. I now have the baby version of yours. However she looks naked compared to all your gizmos. A great feeling being warm when plowing snow.

I love my cab lights ( so I thought). I saw your post where you managed to mount the sun to your cab and light up the world. You then turned on your factory lights :-( ... Again, envy....
Hey I'm actually surprised someone reads my posts lol. Glad you got something out of the threads I've posted and the videos. If it helps someone then it was all worth the time and effort. Your going to love your new tractor. It's a fine machine and those cabs are the best on the market. Toasty warm in the winter and enough to freeze you to death in the summer :D

I almost didn't put those new led lights on because of all the work to do it but after seeing the results I couldn't be without them.
Thanks for your kind words on the tractor and good luck with yours.

Wildfire

Equipment
The photo in the link i attached is not my tractor. It was the closest thing I could find to describe the harness. I think your photo was perfect. I just have to continue digging around up there to see if I can find it.
I thought something didn't look right about it but its the white connector your looking for. It's there taped to something. Yep. Dig around.

KenB2920

Equipment
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
Thank you,

Your posts are probably read more than you can imagine.

I am sure we will be in contact. (me asking you questions lol) happy tractoring

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I have a new M7040 with the ultra grand cab. I just installed a radio so can offer some info.

I will paste 2 pages from the owners manual on the subject.

The support plate shown as 1 in the first illustration came with my tractor in the bag the manuals were in. It is the key to supporting the radio. If you dont have one you could easily make one out of very heavy sheet metal.

The mounting collar shown as 3 in the second illustration came with the radio.

I bought a Sony Radio CDXGT57UP for approximately $100 at Canadian Tire.

The support plate is slid into the opening and then the mounting collar slides thru the opening in the support plate. It is a snug fit. Once the mounting collar is in place you bend tabs on the collar out to lock the collar to the support plate. In my photo you can see the holes where the mounting collar tabs are bent out.

The radio comes with a wiring harness plug which fits the radio. Initially I asked the dealer if he could supply a harness to fit between the one on the tractor and the Sony radio. When he said it would be $52 and I would have to wait I decided to cut off the kubota plug and wire the new Sony radio wires directly to the Kubota wires. It was not hard. There are seven wires in the Kubota plug. Their color markings for the two speakers match the Sony wiring very closely. There are two wires for each speaker so now you only have 3 wires to figure out. One is a ground connected to the Kubota ground wire which is black. Now there are two wires left. Both are power wires. One is on all the time and maintains the memory in the radio such as preselected stations. the other is only on when the key is in accessory or on position.

I looked on line for plugs but really there is nothing which does not require some matching of the wires so I decided to just solder them together.

The whole installation was easy. The 2 speakers that came with the tractor sound good to me.

If you need more info just ask.

Dave M7040

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Even if you buy the plug on ebay you are still left with the most challenging part of the project which is to match and connect the wiring on the radio to the ebay plug which too should be soldered together. If you really want a no brainer I think you have to spend the $ on the Kubota supplied harness or better yet a complete radio package from Kubota.

I would urge the hesitant to try my way. The worst that will happen is you blow a fuse.

Dave M7040

Wildfire

Equipment
Even if you buy the plug on ebay you are still left with the most challenging part of the project which is to match and connect the wiring on the radio to the ebay plug which too should be soldered together. If you really want a no brainer I think you have to spend the $ on the Kubota supplied harness or better yet a complete radio package from Kubota.

I would urge the hesitant to try my way. The worst that will happen is you blow a fuse.

Dave M7040
Sorry Dave. I have to disagree. for one thing the radio supplied by Kubota is the lowest quality radio out there. For less than two hundred bucks you can put a radio in a tractor that got all the bells and whistles such as a thump reader, Bluetooth, CD, AM/Fm.... Cutting the harness is not the right way to do it. The engineers put a plug on the tractors wiring for a reason. If they thought a master plug wasn't needed they would have left the plug off and just left the wire ends in the location.
Buying the extension plug makes for a much tidier installation. Figuring out the proper wires is going to be the same with or without the plug but by using the plug you can get the wiring figured out, unplug the harness with the stereo then take it down to the bench and solder then heat shrink all the connections. Take it back to the tractor and simply plug it in and your done. Even if you buy the OEM Kubota plug you'll still need to figure out the wiring because the colours will not match the stereos coloured wires. My advise is got get the harness weather it be an aftermarket one or the Kubota one. Don't cut the tractors wiring Hey if its worth doing then its worth doing it right.

KenB2920

Equipment
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
Yippy skippy,

I just placed my order on eBay!!!! I should be jamming by the end of the week. Keeping my fingers crossed.

19.99 +5.00 on eBay

19.99 + 14.95 on Agriradiosupply.com