Tractor won't start

hobbyfarm

Mar 24, 2012
Hot Springs, AR
I have a 4 month old B2320. I haven't had a problem with it. My neighbor has used it several times. Once, it wouldn't start, he knocked the safety switch under the seat sideways. The next time, he'd hit the differential lever. When that was released, it worked fine. Today, he moved a bale of hay for me and backed it out of the enclosure. He stopped the tractor to close the gate, and again, it won't start. Lights come on, but it won't try to turn over. I'm sure it's another safety gadget, but the manual doesn't list them all that he could have possibly hit!

Is there a list of all safety features that inhibit starting? Any ideas on what it is this time. The tractor's about 500 feet from the computer.

Thanks in advance! I really need to use it!

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
I have bumped the PTO leaver several times and have had the same effect.

I would first check that the leaver is the disengaged position.
if that doesn't fix the problem.
I would then check that the safty switch on the PTO leaver is actually engaging.

You should also have 2 safty switches under the seat.

Hope that helps

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
I'd look to the seat switch (if you haven't) again. There can be up to 6 safety switches, or any combination of the 6.
Clutch safety switch
seat switch
PTO neutral switch
Action-pedal switch
neutral switch
oops, forgot the last one at the moment.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I think first off I would stop the guy next door from useing my tractor,,,,
But the PTO lever/switch seems to be a big problem if tis just a little bit out it wont start and the seat switch as well clutch switch I think. But for only 4 months old I would have the dealer looking at it

jstarkey

Equipment
B2320
Dec 9, 2012
Templeton, Massachusetts
I think first off I would stop the guy next door from useing my tractor,,,,
But the PTO lever/switch seems to be a big problem if tis just a little bit out it wont start and the seat switch as well clutch switch I think. But for only 4 months old I would have the dealer looking at it
I realize this is an old thread but I was looking here for info about my B2320 not starting because of a safety switch issue. I thought I would share this tidbit :

My 2320 wouldn't start. Battery was fine. I checked all of the safety switches paying particular attention to the PTO lever which is easy to knock into the on position when getting off the tractor. Nothing there. Called the dealer's service dept and they told me to turn the key to the start position and move the HST pedal back and forth. This was it. Tractor started fine. They said it might be some dirt got in the way of the safety switch.

Just wanted to share this because folks have given me good advice here and this might be useful to others. Back to work.

James

thebadeye

Equipment
L3130
Sep 14, 2013
NAshville,TN
www.vanderlaanDG.com
I realize this is an old thread but I was looking here for info about my B2320 not starting because of a safety switch issue. I thought I would share this tidbit :

My 2320 wouldn't start. Battery was fine. I checked all of the safety switches paying particular attention to the PTO lever which is easy to knock into the on position when getting off the tractor. Nothing there. Called the dealer's service dept and they told me to turn the key to the start position and move the HST pedal back and forth. This was it. Tractor started fine. They said it might be some dirt got in the way of the safety switch.

Just wanted to share this because folks have given me good advice here and this might be useful to others. Back to work.

James
I realize this is an old post but, my 3130 was in "will not engage starter hell"....It's happened before....tried everything from checking connection to insuring safety switches all close properly. Nothing worked, I assumed a bad starter, but saw this post "turn the key to the start position and move the HST pedal back and forth"

WORKED LIKE A CHAMP! Cheers :)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
One more little trick to lock away in the memory banks,, Thanks I would have never thought of that;)

kallred

Equipment
B3300SU
Sep 9, 2013
NC
below is from previous post......had same problem of tractor not starting ......if the other suggestions provided do not work, you may want to try ibunker's suggestion......it worked me and my tractor starts fine now.......

B3300 SU start/ restart issue
I am new to forum......need advise regarding restarting problem with B3300 SU.....since purchasing tractor new in 2011 have had occasional problems with tractor cutting off when raising up from seat with tractor still running......the PTO lever is in off position when this occurs.....when I try turn the key to restart tractor the engine will not turn over....however the dash does display all the red electronic symbols. The weird thing is this problem does not occur every time I have tractor running and get off seat.....but when it does it is very aggravating as it can take several minutes before I can get tractor restarted. I originally thought the problem was being caused by accidentally putting my foot either on the forward or reverse pedal when turning the key to start .....which assume if that happens the tractor would not start due to safety feature (OPC safety device?). I had dealer look at tractor when this originally started happening (which was shortly after purchasing the tractor new) and they could not find anything wrong ......again this problem does not occur every time I start the tractor. Any body experienced a similar problem or any idea on what may be causing this? Thanks in advance for any help.

Had the same problem with the OPC switch when tractor was left in the rain. It started, pressed the speed control pedal (SCP) to move it, got off and the tractor died. Would not start. I located the OPC switch just forward of the hydraulic filter and sprayed the switch activator piston from the SCP with WD 40, rocked the SCP until the piston pressed the OPC switch in, in neutral the switch is depressed. I added this little bit of maintenance to my zerk fitting lubing, since I'm under the tractor lubing. Hope this helps.

ibunker

Equipment
B3300SU w/BK76, Box blade, DR wood chipper
Dec 5, 2010
Port Orchard, WA
Thank you Kallred. I assume all tractors have an OPC (operator presence control) safety switch. The switch operates (shuts off tractor) when the control pedal is pressed and the operator leaves the seat. My manual lists a test of this switch, tractor running and pressing the control pedal, rising from the seat, the tractor shuts off. The linkage from the control pedal that operates the switch can hang up, not pressing the switch in, when in neutral. Location of this switch under you tractor may vary. I lube the linkage whenever I'm under the tractor preforming maintenance.

Ironhorse

Equipment
BX25D, Piranha tooth bar, Landpride chipper, LP PHD
Aug 9, 2013
Montana
Had the same problem with my BX25D at 40 hours. Rocking the pedal sometimes worked--often not. Now it works fine. I plan to get under it and take a look soon. On the day it did this it was pretty muddy underneath. It may have been a chunk of mud or a stick causing the trouble. And I'll try the WD40.

below is from previous post......had same problem of tractor not starting ......if the other suggestions provided do not work, you may want to try ibunker's suggestion......it worked me and my tractor starts fine now.......

B3300 SU start/ restart issue
I am new to forum......need advise regarding restarting problem with B3300 SU.....since purchasing tractor new in 2011 have had occasional problems with tractor cutting off when raising up from seat with tractor still running......the PTO lever is in off position when this occurs.....when I try turn the key to restart tractor the engine will not turn over....however the dash does display all the red electronic symbols. The weird thing is this problem does not occur every time I have tractor running and get off seat.....but when it does it is very aggravating as it can take several minutes before I can get tractor restarted. I originally thought the problem was being caused by accidentally putting my foot either on the forward or reverse pedal when turning the key to start .....which assume if that happens the tractor would not start due to safety feature (OPC safety device?). I had dealer look at tractor when this originally started happening (which was shortly after purchasing the tractor new) and they could not find anything wrong ......again this problem does not occur every time I start the tractor. Any body experienced a similar problem or any idea on what may be causing this? Thanks in advance for any help.

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
The WD in WD40 stands for Water Displacement. WD40 is a solvent not a lubricant, it does displace moisture and is a good cleaner but is NOT a lubricant nor is it good for electrical devices.

Just so you know.

Herkmer

Equipment
B2320
Mar 3, 2015
LaGrange KY Oldham

James
I am having the same problem where is this safety switch located on the tractor

lbob1976

Mar 8, 2015
Greenbank, WA
Thank you to the TheBadEye post on 9-14-2013. The advice to "turn the key to the start position and move the HST pedal back and forth" did the trick and saved the day!

rberthet

Equipment
1998 B1700 HST
Nov 14, 2015
Ortonville, MI
Thanks for the advice! I am new to tractor ownership and just got done working about 4 hours, moving materials for a patio. Went in for a bite and came back out and...no start. Not even trying. I read the posts on here and went and checked the PTO. That was it!

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
WD40 is a solvent not a lubricant.
Just to let you know, IT IS A LUBRICANT
WD-40® Multi-Use Product protects metal from rust and corrosion, penetrates stuck parts, displaces moisture and lubricates almost anything.
And I've just successfully used it to penetrate and lubricate many seized fittings on my tractor so I could get them off. Like I've been doing for 40 years!

ahenthus

Equipment
B7610 ROPS, B2650 Cab
Mar 24, 2012
Upstate SC
Great (old) thread. I just replaced the original Yuasa battery on my B7610 and it wouldn't start so I checked all the normal connection culprits with no luck. I then got online and found the Kubota "ask a technician" site. After explaining the problem in detail I got to the final page and was hit with a $57 charge if I wanted the answer. I decided to research a little further and stumbled upon this thread. After reading most of it I went out and, sure enough, my PTO was engaged. I'm very familiar with this scenario over the nine years I've owned my tractor but I guess it never occurred to me because I had just installed the new battery and my mind was in ignition/electrical connection mode and not in normal operation mode. Countless times out in my pastures I have had the same problem but always check the PTO lever and find that climbing on or off the tractor I've nudged it into gear. Feel stupid? Yes! Thanks to all the Orangemen out there.