Do glow plugs have different heat ranges?

dfixit1

Equipment
L4240HSTC-3
May 17, 2019
United States
Inquiring minds want to know, do glow plugs have different heat ranges?
Kubota L4240hstc-3
Engine serial BUxxxx
Engine Tier 4i
No catalyst or DPMF
Ive ohm checked, pulled GPs a supplied 12.5v for glow test. They turn red but not white.

Kubota lists 3 glow plug for my model.
19077-65512 (actually NGK Y-716RS 4693)
1J860-65510
1J860-65512
My engine serial number matches part number 1J860-65510 but is superseded to 1J860-65512.
Sent email to Kubota Corp and asked about the glow plug change-superseded. They acknowledged the change but couldn’t answer why.
I’ve always been partial to the NGK with Japanese vehicles, so I am tempted to just get the NGK glow plugs.

Anyone know why Kubota superseded these numbers?

My glow plugs were unmarked.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Inquiring minds want to know, do glow plugs have different heat ranges?
Kubota L4240hstc-3
Engine serial BUxxxx
Engine Tier 4i
No catalyst or DPMF
Ive ohm checked, pulled GPs a supplied 12.5v for glow test. They turn red but not white.

Kubota lists 3 glow plug for my model.
19077-65512 (actually NGK Y-716RS 4693)
1J860-65510
1J860-65512
My engine serial number matches part number 1J860-65510 but is superseded to 1J860-65512.
Sent email to Kubota Corp and asked about the glow plug change-superseded. They acknowledged the change but couldn’t answer why.
I’ve always been partial to the NGK with Japanese vehicles, so I am tempted to just get the NGK glow plugs.

Anyone know why Kubota superseded these numbers?

My glow plugs were unmarked.
They do superseded numbers when there is an update, in this case it's probably no more than a update of the part numbers.

The kubota glow plugs are more than likely NGK as all of the one's I've gotten from kubota are NGK numbers on them.

I don't think they change temps, they either work or they don't.

Most newer glow plugs designs don't get as hot as the older ones, as they don't need to to work properly, and because of the lower working temp they last longer. ;)

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
In my limited experience with Kubota 'superseding' parts has been two observations.

1) An improved part is available.
2) Kubota combines identical partnumbers into a single one which covers more models. (ie P/N for bolts,washers and other fasteners)

Personally, I would go with the latest supersition available just incase it is an improved replacement part.

As an aside: Some of the replacements on my 1980s era Kubota have been superseded over 3 times over the years. (ie waterpump)

Last edited:

dfixit1

Equipment
L4240HSTC-3
May 17, 2019
United States
They do superseded numbers when there is an update, in this case it's probably no more than a update of the part numbers.

The kubota glow plugs are more than likely NGK as all of the one's I've gotten from kubota are NGK numbers on them.

I don't think they change temps, they either work or they don't.

Most newer glow plugs designs don't get as hot as the older ones, as they don't need to to work properly, and because of the lower working temp they last longer. ;)
I have been trying to figure out my cold start smoking issue. The Kubota dealer mechanic looked at my video and says its normal for my -3 model. Another forum member says his 47 hp -3 doesn’t smoke like mine. But his motor is different. His had NGK GP, mine have no markings but covered in gray paint, so original.
His GP video got hotter quicker and turned white. Mine just get red.
That’s why I am wondering if there are different heat ranges.
I’m tempted just to buy NGK at $14 each.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
If uncertain about the NGK PN, compare your GP to the dimensions below. They were taken from this document. See top of page 3.
https://www.ngkpartfinder.co.uk/files/NGK_Glow-Spec.pdf

Part Number: Y-716RS
Stock number: 4693
Hex size (mm): 12
Thread diameter (mm): M10
Thread pitch: 1.25
Overall length (mm): 85
Heater tube length (mm): 30.5
Terminal type: M4
Marked Voltage: 11 V

Another thing to consider is the same cylinder head has been used so the dimensions between the p/n's have to be close enough to work.

Y-716RS/4693 is $14.74 from rockauto

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
You can contact an NGK distributor and they can tell you which glow plug is correct for a given engine. That's how I learned I had the wrong glow plugs in my Mitsubishi tractor. Some glow plugs heat really fast so you don't leave them powered as long. Other glow plugs, especially in older tractors, heat more slowly. Glow plugs, from what I've seen, do not operate at twelve volts. Most are intended to work at 10.5 volts according to the charts I've seen. You can got to ngk.com to begin your search for information.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have been trying to figure out my cold start smoking issue. The Kubota dealer mechanic looked at my video and says its normal for my -3 model. Another forum member says his 47 hp -3 doesn’t smoke like mine. But his motor is different. His had NGK GP, mine have no markings but covered in gray paint, so original.
His GP video got hotter quicker and turned white. Mine just get red.
That’s why I am wondering if there are different heat ranges.
I’m tempted just to buy NGK at $14 each.
I would try new glow plugs, your's could be cooked, it can't hurt if you get the right sized units! ;)

dfixit1

Equipment
L4240HSTC-3
May 17, 2019
United States
Found interesting information on NGK glow plugs.
http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english/techinfo/glowplug/index.html

Interesting note, (heat time) varies on rated temperature output of 800 Celsius, 1472 degrees Fahrenheit. The two types attached are 4.5 seconds and 6 seconds.

They are rated 800 Celsius 1472* Fahrenheit
The Y-716RS is
Y=Sheathed type
7=10mm
1=12V
6=serial number
R=QGS but note says Y-7xxR are SRM type
S=Special glow tube material.
See attached pictures for QGS & SRM descriptions or use link.

Attachments

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Theres one bright spot in all the Chinese stuff we buy.... theyre quickly converting to Capitalists. :cool:

dfixit1

Equipment
L4240HSTC-3
May 17, 2019
United States
Theres one bright spot in all the Chinese stuff we buy.... theyre quickly converting to Capitalists. :cool:
A friend that lives in the SW got a job with a new company which was Chinese. He was told to take apart a Toyota. He asked the question, Why? The China man told him, engineering too expensive, we are taking apart and copy.....
He quit.....

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
A friend that lives in the SW got a job with a new company which was Chinese. He was told to take apart a Toyota. He asked the question, Why? The China man told him, engineering too expensive, we are taking apart and copy.....
He quit.....
Thats not new discovery. For at least the last century its been well documented they can very accurately copy. Its one of the reasons some of their products are so highly sought.
Its amusing to listen to someone decry Chinese products while sitting in a Starbucks drinking Columbian coffee with a BMW owner.
Its even funnier to discuss this sort of thing on a Japanese tractor Owners Forum. LOL

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
well the Chinese were'nt the first and won't be the last either... even Edison 'reverse engineered' and stole Intellectual Property....

dfixit1

Equipment
L4240HSTC-3
May 17, 2019
United States
Thats not new discovery. For at least the last century its been well documented they can very accurately copy. Its one of the reasons some of their products are so highly sought.
Its amusing to listen to someone decry Chinese products while sitting in a Starbucks drinking Columbian coffee with a BMW owner.
Its even funnier to discuss this sort of thing on a Japanese tractor Owners Forum. LOL
MHO
I believe there is a difference between Chinese products and a Japanese Tractor.
Over half of Kubota tractors sold in the USA are built here.
https://www.bobbyfordkubota.com/where-are-kubota-tractors-made-tractor-engine-manufacturing-locations/
With regards to the Chinese, just look at the trade agreement, phase one that was signed. With continued tariffs the Chinese economy has been reduced to a 50 year low. Keeping the tariffs in place the Chinese admitted to intellectual theft and will pay for it. Btw this was reported on ABC. They were stealing intellectual property, producing the product, putting the USA business out of business and picking up their market share.
Their profits support the Chinese military.
So I avoid their products when possible.
As far a quality, they may have some good products but walk into a Harbor Freight and you will have a fair example of their quality.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
regarding glow plugs - should I even use them here in Florida? The coldest I typically crank the tractor up is maybe 40's, and that would be rare. If its colder than that Im likely not working on the tractor that day. So far I have not ever used the glow plugs at all, Just crank it up and it fires up immediately. I do let it warm up before working. If its say 43 degrees outside, should I toggle the glow plug a few seconds or can I just ignore it entirely? I have read other places of people who use them year round no matter the temperature as they claim they notice a difference in the initial start. The couple times I have used the glow plug just to play around Ive never noticed any difference. Ive just been curious about this.

dfixit1

Equipment
L4240HSTC-3
May 17, 2019
United States
regarding glow plugs - should I even use them here in Florida? The coldest I typically crank the tractor up is maybe 40's, and that would be rare. If its colder than that Im likely not working on the tractor that day. So far I have not ever used the glow plugs at all, Just crank it up and it fires up immediately. I do let it warm up before working. If its say 43 degrees outside, should I toggle the glow plug a few seconds or can I just ignore it entirely? I have read other places of people who use them year round no matter the temperature as they claim they notice a difference in the initial start. The couple times I have used the glow plug just to play around Ive never noticed any difference. Ive just been curious about this.
I didnt notice the model of your tractor in your signature? Just curious because the newer tier 4 are computer controlled which controls the GP time for heat. Some would say why bother if its starting ok. Others would say cycle them. I would recommend taking a video of the exhaust one morning with GP and another morning without with ambient temperatures the same. Play both videos and watch engine start time and smoke. Then decide.
As an antidote, a doctor once told me...use it or loose it! :)

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
MHO
I believe there is a difference between Chinese products and a Japanese Tractor.
Over half of Kubota tractors sold in the USA are built here.
https://www.bobbyfordkubota.com/where-are-kubota-tractors-made-tractor-engine-manufacturing-locations/
With regards to the Chinese, just look at the trade agreement, phase one that was signed. With continued tariffs the Chinese economy has been reduced to a 50 year low. Keeping the tariffs in place the Chinese admitted to intellectual theft and will pay for it. Btw this was reported on ABC. They were stealing intellectual property, producing the product, putting the USA business out of business and picking up their market share.
Their profits support the Chinese military.
So I avoid their products when possible.
As far a quality, they may have some good products but walk into a Harbor Freight and you will have a fair example of their quality.
Your points are well taken. I’m not promoting Chinese goods. I was only pointing out our hypocrisy, hopefully with a bit of humor.
The Columbian coffee comes from a drug-lord stronghold. The German cars support former death-camp operators. Kubota does their banking in Japan, regardless of where some of their products final-assembly is performed.
Buying American is ALWAYS my preference also.