Dry liner removal and installation in a Z750 eng L175????????

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
No.
I got new bushings and piston pins for the rods but that is the only work I can determine was needed for the rod's sake.
Since this engine didn't even have 300 hrs on it everything was in nice shape internally. The old piston and rod assemblies took a pounding from cranking with water in the cylinders but other than bushing and bearing wear the rotating parts look great.

Last edited:

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
I got the crankshaft put back in. :( Do you think Kubota could use a couple more bolts at the back end of this engine.:confused: :D

The governor, pump cams and hydraulic pump drive went back in perfectly. The large half moon pieces that hold the bearings for the main journals of the crank can be seen in the second pic. It is quite a job to get both of those pieces tapped into the exact place for the oil holes to line up.

I pressed the old bushings out of the rods and pressed new ones in and finished mounting the new pistons and pins.

The scoring that is at the top of this one piston is where I drew the line and decided to replace all the internals that are wear items or had damage. These pistons could possibly work since the ring groove does not seem to be bothered and the rings moved freely but since I had to come all this way they got replaced.

The small square shape in the top of one pic is where the fire chamber made this mark on the piston. It could be that the water steamed the top of the piston which would have raised it to the point of contacting the fire chamber opening but regardless I will check the clearance once the pistons are loaded.

Attachments

Last edited:

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
I suppose the old rod bearings could have gone right back in also but I wasn't going to go all the way to OZ and not see the wizzard, if you know what I mean, I replaced everything. The bearing shells are interchangeable so flipping the uppers and lowers is a nice way to get more out of them but new was only $14.

Here are the piston and rings. Stuck the rings on them and popped them in today.
The adjustment on my ring compressor was as small as it would go:eek: It sounds easy to say 4 and 1/2 inches and then 3 inches but that is a huge difference in a tool.:D

They sure look nice setting down in shiny clean holes.:D These little slugs should do well with the suck, squeeze, bang, blow process. :D

Attachments

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Once I got the new slugs in the holes I checked the clearance. My "0" deck tool shows .022 in this pic but the full calculations came out to be .025 above the deck.
Since the gasket is .140 there is not going to be a problem. I can check again after the head is torqued but my numbers come out to be about .100 in the clear. It still would be good if I only had .040 that is the bare minimum.;)

If I knew I had all this room to play with when the machine shop had the block I would have decked this thing to the max.:(:(

When it comes to compression: the tightier the mightier :D:D:D;)

Attachments

Last edited:

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
I got the cam and lifters in and then, well here is the dreamer in me :D

I couldn't leave the shop without setting the head up on the deck and checking it out. :D I'm not ready for this step yet but it sure looked good. :D

It sure will be great to fire this thing up when it is done.:D I'm getting excited now.

Stay tuned, more coming :)

Attachments

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Well I got this shorty sender with my Auto Meter electric temp kit. The guage has a black face with white letters and numbers to match my Kubota RPM guage also.:D

I threaded 1/8 NPT into the head cover where the upper rad hose neck exhausts this "perk" coolant. This shorty sender will fit perfectly there out of the way of everything and I will run a wire through the loom, past the alternator right aroung the corner to the sender. I will SEE what this temp is now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The gears are all in and timed and the front cover is on.

Warning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't read this until I had the flywheel off but........................ it can go back in ANY position. It is not referenced for top center!!! If you take the flywheel off the postion needs to be marked/painted, SOMETHING if the timing marks are going to be used for pump timing.

Now I have to time the flywheel to get it back on in the RIGHT position. What a pizzer, but I'm glad to find this before the engine was back in the tractor.:(:(

It is coming along great.:D

Attachments

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
My shop foreman advises that this wrench is to large for installing the oil pan.

Well ok..........if you say so.:D:D:D

She was really impressed with this big 24" wrench and could hardly hold it up.;)

Attachments

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
After checking for the right mounting location for the flywheel I also found that the factory mark for TDC was not accurate. I found what I believe to be the precise TDC spot and punched it with a flat chisel so I can check the fuel timing. It ran fine when I pulled it down but if there is any room for more power I will take it. :D:D:D

The clutch is on and the head is on. I wasn't really comfortable with the close tollerance of the rear two push rods so I opened up the passages slightly. Part of what happens when dealing with aftermarket parts. No Kubota original castings exist new. :(:(:(

Attachments

Last edited:

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
This is more of what I'm looking for. Ready to mount up to the tractor. I will need to shoot some color on the bare head as well as the rest of this engine but that is after it is back in.

After I get it in and painted I will post some after pics. :D

Attachments

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
My father in law helped me take the engine out while the tractor sat in the boat shed but now he is not here to help me. To make things easier I had to move the tractor into the shop. We jacked it up with a floor jack and moved it on some thin plywood.

It didn't take long to set the engine back in the tractor. I put the front axle on and started throwing some paint at it. I still have a bunch more painting to do but it looks better already. :D:D:D

The leaft side of the dash is where I will put my new electric temp guage. That empty hole is where the decompression knob was but it will have to move somewhere else. I might move it down closer to the decal with instructions for it's use.

Attachments

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Aqua,

You forgot to re-install the crankshaft! It's sitting on the floor in that first picture!!!
:eek::eek::eek:

:D:D:D:D

The guys at work keep telling me to quite farting around with 2 cyls and just put that 454 Mag HO motor in it. Tempting, ha ha ha.

That is a GM forged 454 crank from the engine sitting beside it. The black engine on the stand further back in the pic is my current boat project. Stroked a 454 up to a 496. As soon as the tractor gets done I can get that engine ready to dyno. Gunning for 630hp.

I put some more things on the tractor tonight and threw some more paint on it.
Getting closer to smoke.!!!

Attachments

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Well I started on the temp guage installation and opened up a can of worms. :eek:

I had to get the steering wheel off to get the instrument panel off. The puller I have would not get under the collar of the steering wheel so some other way had to work. I got out my bearing splitter set and put a small splitter under the steering wheel. Then a two jaw puller got it off quite easy.

Attachments

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
When the panel came off there was tons of dirt behind it. The wires were all the same color............dirt!!! :eek::eek:

Just brushing the dirt out made a huge difference. The pic shows 32 years of dirt and then another one ofter getting only the dirt out.

It is pretty easy to work on the cluster by laying it down on its face with the wiring all still hooked up.

Attachments

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
I drilled the hole where the temp guage will go and then shot some paint. Looks much nicer in a rich new ORANGE color. :D:D:D

Now I'm looking for a better option for replacing the fuse box. This thing that was there originally requires fuse elements that are like hens teeth to find. I want to update the fuse box to something more modern and more circuits.

Any ideas ????????????

Attachments

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
The dash and tank cover is painted and I set it up to get a look at it.

I think it looks great and now I am pressed to finish more work than originally intended. My hood is bent up so some mods are in line there too.

The hole in the middle of the dash is where the fuse panel goes. I really don't like it and want to get something that will fit in this area. Anyone have ideas???:confused::confused: So far I haven't found anything that will work.:(

Attachments

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Well I just can't leave well enough alone. I started painting and it was looking so good that I decided to completely refurb all the sheet metal and paint the entire tractor.:eek::eek::eek:

Before I bought it this tractor had a roll-over but since it worked and that was all I needed I took it anyway. It looked terrible and I thought that one day I would get parts for it. After solving the mysterious dash assembly it seemed so easy to just work on the rest of it and fix it.

The tractor frame is all painted now so I am starting on the rear fenders and wheels.

The hood looks like h e l l and I thought it was past repair but after getting into it I think it will fix nicely. The front of the grille was so mangled up that I gave up on it. I will use a piece of perforated steel and weld it in place of the original bars. Anyway I never liked seeing the battery right in front of the tractor, it looked tacky. Now there will be a painted perforated grille with the Kubota badge on it and I think it will look great. This pic looks terrible, I shook it.:mad:

The decals are coming off very easy with this decal eraser tool. One side is all off and not much left of the other side. New decals should be here Friday.:D:D

I also found a bunch of these old style fuses for a great price so I will keep the fuse box for now. Replacing it is still an interest but time is not on my side due to many projects that I need done by January.:eek::(

This paint work may deserve a thread of it's own so I might start another one about this paint and steel work.

The engine should fire off this weekend and I'll have some pics of that and then this thread will have run its course based on the title. :)

The temp experiment and mods will probably get a thread of their own too. I am going to log the temps of water, wetter, and antifreeze separately to see how they run and this will determine if this tractor gets an inline curculation pump or not.

Attachments

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
I couldn't start my engine this weekend because the dealer got me the wrong fan :eek: :eek: :eek:

A newbie parts guy ordered a fan for an L175 alright..........................................................................................New Holland L175 SKID LOADER :eek: :eek: :eek:

That won't work so I kept working on my sheetmetal. The internet is about all I got done. My hood is so badly distorted that I think I will give up and find one.
I did more painting and boy is this thing pretty :D :D