Blowing black smoke no power???

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
I have to echo what Ed said about high pressure fluids. My brother got his thumb injected by some hydraulic fluid. He went through pure hell and lost part of his thumb over it. He still has most of his thumb now, that is after several operations/plastic surgery. He put his thumb over a pin-hole leak in a hydraulic hose.

Tsnead

Mar 14, 2011
Cleveland tx
Well my problem was the muffler it was stopped up with rust and dirt dobbers! The best part was that it only cost me a low price of 225 dollars in labor to find out!

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Ya, I missed that one too! And I shouldn't have, We see the exact problem quite regularly on the RTV900's. With them it is a blocked spark arrestor.
Ed

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
So is a plugged muffler a common problem. I have never heard of it on a diesel before. How does one check if the muffler is restricting?:confused:

PFWJR

Equipment
B7500
May 2, 2018
Woodside
Thanks to Tsnead for his original question back in 3/2011, and to all of you who contributed to this thread. It is now 2018 and just today I suddenly developed exactly the same symptoms of no acceleration and black smoke from my B7500 with 880 hours on it and no previous similar problems. Prior to calling Kubota or another place that could give me trouble shooting advice, I decided to Google the problem symptoms, and I am really happy I did. Having read all this thread, for certain reasons, I suspected that the muffler problem could be my problem as well. But before removing the muffler, I also remembered Kuboman's question "Do you have a mouse nest in the air intake?" and decided to take a look at my air filter prior to doing more detailed work. I indeed discovered a freshly dead mouse who had further obstructed the air flow to the point of causing the above symptoms. I say "further" because I date my filters when I install them, and I had not replaced the air filter in three years, so it was already extremely dirty and the mouse was simply the straw that broke the camel's back. Whoa to me, I'll be more diligent in my routine maintenance. Again thx to all.

Gill

Equipment
B7610
Jun 20, 2015
Warner Robins, GA
I have a 2002 26hp kubota it started all at once pouring black smoke and lost most of it's power ? I changed air filter and checked for blockage ? Changed fuel filter still no luck ! I do not know how to check my injectors or pump any suggestions would help .... Except for taking it to the shop!!
Thanks for this thread! 9 years later after the first thread was created and I had the same exact symptoms! But on top of that there was also a whistling noise to boot. I didn't know if the whistling was the intake (air filter) or the exhaust I couldn't tell where it was coming from while sitting in the seat! So I let it rattle around in my head all day to see if I could make sense of it all, since filters (both air filters and both fuel filters) were clean. Only 76 hrs on engine.

After reading this first thread later in the evening, I headed out with a flashlight (since it had turned dark) and sure enough 80% the tiny exhaust holes were blocked with rusted metal exhaust particles sticking out of the holes. Seems my sprinkler was spraying on it all summer long and slowing rusting it internally.

Last edited:

Gov365

Equipment
Kubota ZG327A
Oct 11, 2020
USA
It smokes at idle some but the more rpms the more it smokes it revs up ok but I was driving it I had it to the floor and managed to crawl back to the house with it? The longer u run it the worst it gets?
Dealing with smaller engines and hearing that your engine is smoking even at idle, it just might be a valve that it sticking thus allowing for oil to seep past the valve and cause the smoke. Anyone can either agree with this assumption or maybe I'm off base...either way we all learn from it.