I hate my new L3901

Dchemphill1

Equipment
L3901
Jun 9, 2016
Fort Calhoun, NE, USA
I have had no issues with my L3901. The thing is a work horse. I have nearly 50 hours and have had 2 regen cycles while I worked. Don't run it low rpm and you will go longer between cycles.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
ok great info in this thread...

im learning!

1. run it like you stole it... dont be afraid of the RPM's.

2. its not caused by hard use (if rpms are up)

thank you.

question time:

now does my new 2601 have this feature?

is it one of these tier IV motors?

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I have over 200 hours on my L3901DT and haven't had any problems with the regens. It has regenned 16 times since I got the tractor in Dec 2014. It goes about 16 hours between each regen. Each regen takes 15 to 20 minutes and I don't notice any difference in power, just a little change in the sound and smell. I just up the RPMs till the RPM light goes off and keep doing what I'm doing. I'm getting an ave of 2.4 hours per-gallon. I use the tractor more in the winter time and it is almost all FEL work moving logs and firewood. I would say that Kubota has it working pretty good on the L series tractors.

If your tractor is having to do park regens, there is something wrong with it, or you are doing something wrong. Based on the number of people that have L3901s, and the number of complaints about park regen (two that I know of including yours), I would say you are doing something wrong.

Can you give us more details about what you are doing with the tractor, does it not complete a normal regen that it is going for a park regen? We are here to help if we can.

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
ok great info in this thread...

im learning!

1. run it like you stole it... dont be afraid of the RPM's.

2. its not caused by hard use (if rpms are up)

thank you.

question time:

now does my new 2601 have this feature?

is it one of these tier IV motors?
B2601 does not have a DPF. They derated the engine to get it below the tier 4 requirements. So you do not have to worry about it.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
B2601 does not have a DPF. They derated the engine to get it below the tier 4 requirements. So you do not have to worry about it.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
AWESOME!! i like the sound of that even better!

thank you for the lesson!

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
OK,
that makes sense... I didn't think my BX23 had anything on it.....

BTW,
As a truck driver I have been dealing with this EPA stuff for a few years now...
sounds like Kubota is using older technology ... the newer systems use DEF fluid. which is another hassle... and cost.

these entire systems are a huge cost.... If I'm not mistaken, they can only regenerate for so many times.... before the element gets clogged and needs replacement. $$$$$$
Kubota's using DEF on the bigger ones, I want to say 80hp+. I suspect that it'll work it's way down to the smaller ones in time, though. Nightmare on tractors to put DEF on them, as it has a shelf life-that is dependent on temperature and humidity. Tractors sit. If the DEF sensor senses that the DEF isn't good quality, it derates the tractor and you basically get to idle and that's about it. Or if a operator fills the DEF tank with diesel by mistake, it can be upward of $20k to fix it all...crazy expensive! So be careful....

You are correct. They will regen, but after so many regen's the ash builds up and then the filter needs to come off and be professionally cleaned. Currently for the small DPF's, we're looking at about $400 locally. The only one we've had to do was a 3301 where the operator ignored the beeper, lights, and lack of power, and plugged the DPF. It has soot level "stages" 1 through 5, with 4 and 5 derating the engine power severely to the point where it will barely make any power. On the 3301, it makes about 15hp at stage 4 and 5. Stage 4 MIGHT (or might not) do a forced regen through kubota's software, and 5 needs the DPF removed and either replaced or cleaned professionally. What I don't like is that as the engine wears, oil usage will go up. Oil gets into the DPF and plugs it faster, so regen cycle times will get more frequent. Only heard of it one one occasion. That owner rolled the tractor over and then righted it, then attempted to start it. Bent one rod and it has low compression-which puts unburned fuel and oil into the DPF.

They put a beeper on it for a reason. They also programmed derating for a reason. Operating with a plugged DPF creates crazy high EGT's which can melt pistons, so they did this stuff to protect the motor and the operator.

bgk

Apr 23, 2017
Accord, ny
Kubota's using DEF on the bigger ones, I want to say 80hp+. I suspect that it'll work it's way down to the smaller ones in time, though. Nightmare on tractors to put DEF on them, as it has a shelf life-that is dependent on temperature and humidity. Tractors sit. If the DEF sensor senses that the DEF isn't good quality, it derates the tractor and you basically get to idle and that's about it. Or if a operator fills the DEF tank with diesel by mistake, it can be upward of $20k to fix it all...crazy expensive! So be careful....

You are correct. They will regen, but after so many regen's the ash builds up and then the filter needs to come off and be professionally cleaned. Currently for the small DPF's, we're looking at about $400 locally. The only one we've had to do was a 3301 where the operator ignored the beeper, lights, and lack of power, and plugged the DPF. It has soot level "stages" 1 through 5, with 4 and 5 derating the engine power severely to the point where it will barely make any power. On the 3301, it makes about 15hp at stage 4 and 5. Stage 4 MIGHT (or might not) do a forced regen through kubota's software, and 5 needs the DPF removed and either replaced or cleaned professionally. What I don't like is that as the engine wears, oil usage will go up. Oil gets into the DPF and plugs it faster, so regen cycle times will get more frequent. Only heard of it one one occasion. That owner rolled the tractor over and then righted it, then attempted to start it. Bent one rod and it has low compression-which puts unburned fuel and oil into the DPF.

They put a beeper on it for a reason. They also programmed derating for a reason. Operating with a plugged DPF creates crazy high EGT's which can melt pistons, so they did this stuff to protect the motor and the operator.

At those sizes like you said they're forced to run SCR (which utilizes DEF to reduce NOx). In cylinder solutions (EGR) just aren't capable of meeting tier 4f emissions unfortunately. The technology has and will get better over time, but the EPA is really hindering Diesel engines. Even just having a DPF is a real pain. Look at the growing and ongoing pains with over the road heavy duty diesels and pick up trucks. At least with them they see highway usage that lends itself to producing high temps to get some passive regeneration. Off road equipment doesn't respond quite as well, even under load.

Yoder

Dec 12, 2016
South East NC
This is way I bought a 14 year old Kubota . It is 3 years older the the newholland
I traded and purchased new in 2006 , I hate any thing CARB Complaint
I miss buying new though. Too much crap on all engines now .

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Does Canada have the same crap required on their tractors?

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
This is way I bought a 14 year old Kubota . It is 3 years older the the newholland
I traded and purchased new in 2006 , I hate any thing CARB Complaint
I miss buying new though. Too much crap on all engines now .
Yeah,
I'll keep my 95 Powerstroke diesel too....

I think we need a pick up truck thread.... :D

NS kubota

Equipment
Kubota MX4800, Norse 350 logging winch, Hla 2042 pallet forks, Woods BSS60
Dec 21, 2014
Nova Scotia, Canada
My question to you is do you keep your RPM's up most of the time ie 1800 or so if you idle the tractor a lot it will regen more often we had a L3901 and loved it other than it became too small for are work in 104 hours only regened 3 or 4 times. We ran ours at 1800 most always just a thought for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bham

Equipment
l3301
Jan 28, 2017
alabama
yes you have to burn more fuel and put unnecessary wear and tear on you tractor to meet epa regulations. also you get to pay more for your tractor and have more maintenance issues.

beaterboss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901, LA525-FEL, BMLX-3164 3pt Blower, 72" Coteck Sno Pusher, 60" Box Blade
Feb 20, 2017
St.Francois,New Brunswick. Canada
yes you have to burn more fuel and put unnecessary wear and tear on you tractor to meet epa regulations. also you get to pay more for your tractor and have more maintenance issues.
Thats why I bought a L2501. After the Warranty is over, I will be cranking up the HP on it, without the need for the DPF. The engine in the L2501 is really tuned down, so after Warranty period it will be getting a little boost. However, the 25HP in my L2501 is more than adequate for what I use it for. It is known that the L2501 is a real "Sleeper", and with no computer or PCM for the EPA requirements, you pretty much have many options.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I get 2.5 hour a gallon on my L3901DT, that is a lot better than the Ford 2000 gas tractor that I had. I don't think there is any extra wear and tear on the tractor because of the DPF. What extra maintenance are you doing on your tractor because of the DPF?

bham

Equipment
l3301
Jan 28, 2017
alabama
I get 2.5 hour a gallon on my L3901DT, that is a lot better than the Ford 2000 gas tractor that I had. I don't think there is any extra wear and tear on the tractor because of the DPF. What extra maintenance are you doing on your tractor because of the DPF?
comparing gas and diesel is like apples and oranges. running the tractor at high rpms causes the wear and tear. in the future the emission system is going to foul, eventually the dpf will no longer be able to clean it's self. you need to check for contaminated oil after regin, some fuel can back wash down the exhaust and puddle on the valve during the intake and compression stroke

Racer X

Equipment
GR2110 ~ 1948 Ford 8N ~ 1948 Adams Motor Grader ~ Kubota L260
Apr 28, 2017
The Great Pacific Northwet
We need to be able to tell the epa to stuff it. Far worse things in the world than a Kubota, like about every Dodge Caravan you see puffing smoke like a train.
If you see a Dodge Caravan puffing smoke like a train it is not the fault of the EPA, or even Dodge.

It is the fault of the owner who failed to properly maintain their vehicle.

And the fault of the smog police who fail to get the polluting slag heap of a crap mini van off the road.

Racer X

Equipment
GR2110 ~ 1948 Ford 8N ~ 1948 Adams Motor Grader ~ Kubota L260
Apr 28, 2017
The Great Pacific Northwet
. . . . . . some fuel can back wash down the exhaust and puddle on the valve during the intake and compression stroke
How can this happen?

If the fuel system is functioning as it should, and the fuel/air mixture is getting fully consumed, there will only be the byproducts of combustion in the exhaust.

If the fuel/air mixture isn't getting fully burned this would not be a fault of any emission control system.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
How can this happen?

If the fuel system is functioning as it should, and the fuel/air mixture is getting fully consumed, there will only be the byproducts of combustion in the exhaust.

If the fuel/air mixture isn't getting fully burned this would not be a fault of any emission control system.
Bham may be exaggerating, and I think no one outside Kubota has the exact details as to how the engine is controlled during regeneration. The owner's manual does warn that you can contaminate the oil with diesel if you interrupt regeneration. I am not sure exactly how that could happen. However in nearly 3 years with mine I see no indication that that happens during normal operation. These high pressure common rail engines get greater normal efficiency since the injectors can be programmed to spray diesel at more than one time during the power stroke. I don't know how this changes during regeneration. NOTE this is not how it is done in the B3350 where diesel is sprayed by a separate line into the exhaust stream during regeneration. What I am trying to say is that there are tradeoffs for the inconvenience of dealing with a dpf. They are nice engines IMHO.

The L60 series allows you to monitor particle buildup in the dpf, and the greatest accumulation is the first 10 minutes as the engine comes up to operating temp. After that the speed at which particles accumulate is determined by rpm and load. You don't have to run it like you stole it every day. Days that you mow the meter runs backwards. Days you putter around with a landscape rake it may go up. The dpf filter is rated for 3,000 hrs. Mine will outlast me if I don't screw up. I don't see the engine wearing out either, but we won't have data to support that for some time. Makes me cranky when folks proclaim that x or y is true when data is simply not available.

I think the biggest legitimate beef people can make is that you have to pay attention and follow directions. Some folks just don't want to do that, and when as the OP complained, the system is not working properly, can't devote an hour or more to a regen when they have off tractor obligations.

OrangeColoredTractor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2017 L2501 4WD HST
May 10, 2017
Washington
This is why I got the 2501. Would of loved the extra power, but the DPF, I didnt want. Tractors under 26HP are exempt....... so far.

Just running them harder will reduce the regen cycles. Throttle it up, use low range if you want to go slower.

OrangeColoredTractor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2017 L2501 4WD HST
May 10, 2017
Washington
...and I think no one outside Kubota has the exact details as to how the engine is controlled during regeneration. The owner's manual does warn that you can contaminate the oil with diesel if you interrupt regeneration.

OK, I suspect its similar to my 2010 RAM 2500. Does these have the urea fluid? If not, it may be like the Cummins. In that case, my injector will pulse an extra shot of diesel into the cylinder after combustion, but it adds it during an exhaust stroke, this basically just dump raw diesel out the exhaust (this is where it can contaminate your fuel) and it uses it as a fuel to burn off the particulate filter. There is probably a sensor at the inlet and outlet side of the filter and when they show a large difference, it knows its plugged and commands a regen. Not sure how its done. Is it a common rail injector system? Or does each injector has a metal line to the injection pump? Common rails, the injectors are fired with a computer like a port injected gas engine.

Ok, I see they are common rails based on your reply.

I am a new Kubota owner and have no idea how the 3301 and 3901 does it, but it will either use diesel or urea fluid.

Last edited: