Kubota B2530 PTO brake issue

GA Groundcare

Dec 16, 2015
UK
Hello,

We have a 2010 Kubota B2530 hydro with a rear PTO issue which I would like to see if anyone can help solve.

The PTO works itself fine with an implement on and with a PTO implement attached the PTO doesn't spin when disengaged.

However with nothing attached the PTO engages and disengages correctly but the PTO shaft doesn't stop spinning. There is no real load however as jamming a bit of wood easily stops the PTO.
This led us thinking that we had a PTO brake issue and we ended up splitting the tractor to hopefully come across an issue with the hydraulic PTO pack. With the pack on the bench we measured all the thicknesses of the friction disks with digital vernier calipers at 2mm. Kubota give a tolerance of 1.8-2.1mm (sorry uk metric) but basically not even half warn and we also measured the metal plates which haven't worn either. We did find one friction disk had lost its teeth on the inside so ordered one replacement from our local Kubota dealer. As a mater of cause we fitted a new PTO brake disc to be sure.
Everything looked 100% in our opinion and we set about rebuilding the tractor. We rebuilt the tractor and still had the same problem, the PTO when disengaged still spins at 130 rpm, we measured this with a digital tachometer.
Scratching our heads we thought maybe using the correct Kubota transmission oil would do the trick and that the oil which we were using was too thick thus giving too much film through the clutch pack and giving the PTO shaft a light drive. This made no difference either.
We have pressure tested the PTO control valve at 200PSI at 540 PTO RPM (2300 engine RPM) and doesn't drop on engagement.

We are lost at the moment, even our local Kubota dealer can't shed any light?

Many thanks.

Last edited:

GA Groundcare

Dec 16, 2015
UK
After some more research we feel that the spring number 140 is what activates the PTO brake, this has a tension tolerance as per picture below. So there is a strong possibility that the PTO brake isn't functioning because spring number 140 is broken or too soft.

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
Sorry I have no useful advice - but I have to ask - this seems like a lot of trouble for a spinning PTO shaft. Is this causing you some trouble?
My tractor has a cover over the shaft so when it's not in use, it's not seen. Maybe adding this cover to your tractor would provide you some comfort and you can move on. :D

Last edited:

GA Groundcare

Dec 16, 2015
UK
If it was my own tractor I used at home I probably would leave it. However my business is selling equipment and we are prepping this for sale. So it needs to be right. Once stripped again we've found the problem. :D