B7100 Brake Pedal Wear

Nonyab

Dec 12, 2015
SC
Hello to all you orangetractor folks. I am new to this forum but not others. I have been given a B7100HST which I am going to do some restoration. Previous restoration experience is auto, Cub Cadet, and fiberglass boats. I have been a lifelong mechanical type with a career primarily on jet engines, outboards, and small engines. This Kubota is actually the first time I have touched a diesel engine but am catching on to it quickly.

This tractor does have some wear areas (naturally) that I want to start with to ensure adjustments are correct. The first thing I need help with is the brake/clutch pedal contact to the foot rest where there is a nice half-moon wear pattern on both the pedals and the foot rest contact point. I have tried to upload a picture but no luck so far. The brake pedal foot rest has a replaceable piece of metal attached to it which has the wear in it as well as the pedals. I want to replace this metal bar and fill the wear areas on the brake/clutch pedals and foot rest and then resurface them.

My question is about the contact area of the pedals on the foot rests. Is this area normally half-moon shaped or is it from wear? If it is made that way---no need to repair this area, only the pedals themselves.

Sorry I can't load pics yet but that will come I am sure.

Non

mrmr56

Equipment
G4200, Z482, 3 G5200's
Jul 22, 2015
Waco, TX
That looks like Kubota intended that piece of metal to act like stops for the brake pedals, therefore, they had the piece replaceable. I don't think it would make much difference either way.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Only way to curb wear is to make a thicker bar, and grind new concaves to match angle of brake rods. Wider contact patch would resist the pounding.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Slot those bolts and raise it up some.... or remove the plate. Either way put rubber hose on the tube the pedal is attached to. Rubber hose is now the sacrificial part and will be quieter to boot.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Direct answer is no the bolted on part was just a bar to start with, no divets originally

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jcansler

Feb 6, 2011
Texas
I had a B7100 that I bought new. It did not take long to realize the wear that was going to happen to the brake pedal rods so I cut a piece of pvc (1/2 or 3/4, I don't remember) pipe a couple of inches long, then split it down the middle and epoxied the pipe halves over the brake pedal rods where they contact the foot rests to prevent any wear from the metal parts rubbing.

After over 2500 hours on the tractor the pvc pipe had just a little wear but there was no wear on the metal parts. I hope once you repair yours this may give you an idea in how to prevent future wear.

Have a great day,

Joe

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you have a wire welder, fill in the cut grooves in the arms of the brake peddles.

Purchase new, or fabricate a plate with two holes to replace divoted striker plate.

Both items are not serious problem. Really only need attention to suit your taste.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Hell, if this bothers you, get out a stick welder and some hard surfacing rod. Fill in both notches and that will take care of it for the life of the tractor.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Have a look at McMaster Carr and search for BUMPERS. There are all sorts of rubber bumpers that you could use to keep the metal pieces from banging into each other. Many are bolt-on and can be adjusted to prevent metal to meta contact and allow the pedals to operate properly.

Nonyab

Dec 12, 2015
SC
Thanks for all the replies. My original question was to determine if the metal strip on the foot rest was a "sacrifical" piece of metal or was it made that way from the factory. I could not find the piece in the IPD nor is there a dealer close to me to ask them.

However, since I made my post yesterday, I have made and replaced the metal piece on the brake side, added one to the clutch side, filled in the wear areas on the brake and clutch pedals, smoothed them back out to original contour, and made a cushioned bumper stop for the pedals. Painting comes tomorrow, then on to something else.

This isn't the only area where there is significant wear that will require rebuild (filling) and machining to original specs. But the weather isn't good for fiberglass layup so this will keep me busy and it's fun and the tractor didn't cost me anything. It runs good, works good, and "will" look good---and last a long time.

Thanks again for the replies----Non

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I looked at mine today (B7100) , my "metal" strip was slightly dented - but my strip was mounted a little higher than yours. I have small "dents" on the round arms that connect to the brake pedals however!:)

Nonyab

Dec 12, 2015
SC
I have made and replaced the metal piece on the brake side, added one to the clutch side, filled in the wear areas on the brake and clutch pedals, smoothed them back out to original contour, and made a cushioned bumper stop for the pedals.
Why would I "take it off and turn it around"?