B7100hst

BillD1956

Equipment
B7100HST / RC60-71B
Jun 25, 2014
Jackson TN
My B7100HST does not pull with the left rear wheel. Only the right wheel pulls. What could be causing this and what would be involved in correcting the issue? Also does anyone have a mower deck driveshaft they would like to see gone. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or information.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
First go to Kubotabooks.com and download the WSM (three parts) for the tractor, it will help you see the parts involved with the system. ;)

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
How are you determining that the left wheel doesn't pull? If an axle were broken, or a gear in the differential, the power would be sent to the left side, which offers the least resistance- the tractor wouldn't move at all. Unless the diff lock is engaged/stuck.
Until you can determine that something is in fact broken, and why the tractor still pulls (unless the diff lock is engaged), it is hard to isolate what parts to look up.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hodge brings up a good point - jack up the rear of the tractor and turn the right tire - left should spin backwards.....

or spin the left, does right move at all?

- the rear ends on these machines are really ONE wheel drive.....until you lock them down with the diffy lock. ON a perfect day - the best you can ever get is 3 wheel drive!:eek::)

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Hodge brings up a good point - jack up the rear of the tractor and turn the right tire - left should spin backwards.....

or spin the left, does right move at all?

- the rear ends on these machines are really ONE wheel drive.....until you lock them down with the diffy lock. ON a perfect day - the best you can ever get is 3 wheel drive!:eek::)
That's any 4WD, unless you can, like the diff lock, mechanically link both sides (on both axles). Even my ATV, with a spooled rear end, has a diff up front, effectively making it 3WD.
It's physics. Traction is important, but so is driveability and the footprint. When the axle/axles are locked up, they either damage the ground in a turn, or the drivetrain/tires when on hard surface. You can't have both. A limited-slip diff is the only option, which still isn't close. You can't have absolute traction and not compromise something.

BillD1956

Equipment
B7100HST / RC60-71B
Jun 25, 2014
Jackson TN
Anytime that I get in a position where the ground is slick or the tractor is under a load, the right wheel will spin and the left does nothing. Also if I forget to unlock the brakes and apply power the tractor tries to turn to the left, again because the right wheel is the only one pulling. Sounds like maybe the differential lock is stuck in the locked position???

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Anytime that I get in a position where the ground is slick or the tractor is under a load, the right wheel will spin and the left does nothing. Also if I forget to unlock the brakes and apply power the tractor tries to turn to the left, again because the right wheel is the only one pulling. Sounds like maybe the differential lock is stuck in the locked position???
No the differential lock is designed to make both rear tires spin.

When in mud the tire slipping gets all the power and the other gets nothing. Same thing in cars and trucks (unless you apply some sort of locking differential)

why do all 4 tired vehicles work this way. This is necessary to turn a corner.
http://thecarguy.com/articles/drivesys.htm

I suspect your issues is actually brake related and not differential related at all.

The turn with brakes on probably means one brake is not working as well (or working to well) so it pulls/steers you over some. Have you ever had a car that when you lock up brakes.... the car starts to pull/steer to one side? Same thing is occurring in your tractor
http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/faq-board/207360-my-car-pulls-side.html (just to get an understanding. Some parts will be different in tractor but same concept)