Hydraulic pressure

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Well, it's been a few days, I've been lurking and not posting. The swap didn't go well. The pump that is supposed to replace my original doesn't have the same drive on the end of the drive gear. My original has splines and the aftermarket replacement has a rectangular tapered key like on a distributor shaft. My local Kubota dealer cannot tell me the difference in parts number as there was a part number break depending on serial number. Of course, I have the earlier model and it is...wait for it.......discontinued. Luckily, the seller says he will take it back. The saga continues.....
Oh Josh, that just blows! You have been through so much drama with this poor tractor. It is nice to hear the seller will take the pump back. Wife will be much happier.

Maybe a PM to Vic can help resolve a pump search :confused:

Good luck and thank you for keeping us posted.

Scott

joekimtkd

Equipment
B7510DT, 4' Snow blower, 4' Loader, 6' Blade, 6' 3PH Finish mower, 6' box blade,
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
Hey~ Scotty~!

Congratulation on your 4th year apprentice~!!!

Next level is Moderator~~~!!!:D

Great job. Keep on kicking~!

Tom's (Handyman) Grandson has blackbelt too.
Be careful~!!! ha ha ha...:D

Joe.

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Joe - I'm gonna have to be even more careful as I am almost out of socks :eek:....:D.....:cool:

Maybe after you drive hear for coffee we can go to Master Handy's.
If dusty makes the spider tractor we can take that, he will let us.

Scott

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Hi Josh, Real sorry to hear about the pump. That sucks big time. Hope your luck improves. Keep us posted.:mad: Dusty Just checked Coleman(thanks Handy) they show the pump. Very pricey and a long shot at that.It wouldn't be the first time a supplier showed a part they couldn't get. Anyway here is the linkhttps://www.colemanequip.com/ModelParts.asp?modelID=743&pc=42714#partdiagrams

Last edited:

Joshua Zahn

Equipment
L275
Feb 13, 2010
Elkton, Maryland USA
Just checked Coleman(thanks Handy) they show the pump. Very pricey and a long shot at that.
Y'know it all makes sense in my head, I forget that I'm the only one in there.:rolleyes:
The next page down on that Coleman site shows the pump broken down in to parts (many of which are no longer available. For models prior to 10302 or 10243 depending on 4wd it used pn 38240-36100. Later models used pn 38240-76100. To make it more of a question when Messicks lists them the 36100 is around $320 and unavailable, the 76100 is about $480. Makes me think that it Messick's listed both with prices (and such a price difference) there should be a reason for the price disparity. :confused: I was wondering if Kubota changed the drive for the drive gear which would explain why the aftermarket pump claimed to be a replacement. Alas, my local dealer said....I dunno I'd hafta call Kubota. $500 is alot to spend on something that ain't gonna work.

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
This part of your post made me laugh :D

Y'know it all makes sense in my head, I forget that I'm the only one in there.

This part of your post made me sad :(

The next page down on that Coleman site shows the pump broken down in to parts (many of which are no longer available. For models prior to 10302 or 10243 depending on 4wd it used pn 38240-36100. Later models used pn 38240-76100. To make it more of a question when Messicks lists them the 36100 is around $320 and unavailable, the 76100 is about $480. Makes me think that it Messick's listed both with prices (and such a price difference) there should be a reason for the price disparity. :confused: I was wondering if Kubota changed the drive for the drive gear which would explain why the aftermarket pump claimed to be a replacement. Alas, my local dealer said....I dunno I'd hafta call Kubota. $500 is alot to spend on something that ain't gonna work.

Joshua Zahn

Equipment
L275
Feb 13, 2010
Elkton, Maryland USA
Well Scott,
That's why I am here. Just to make you laugh. :p Y'all would've got a good chuckle today watching us try to fix a pole light. I am a member of the Red Men's lodge in Oxford, PA an electrician by trade and a little bit of a redneck by chance (well, maybe more than a little). That should set the stage a little. A few years ago my father bought a 1978 bucket truck bucket assembly that was designed to be mounted in the back of a pickup. It runs off two 12v batteries to power the hydraulic pumps. Dad said it worked so we loaded it on a trailer only to find that the wiring was screwed up and 2 hoses busted. But......if you push on the ends of the hydraulic control valve thingamabob (dig that fancy term:rolleyes:) you can make the thing work. So I fixed the hoses and we took it to lodge to fix the light today, strapped down to the trailer with a few ratchet straps. All went well for a little bit, I would shimmy up and down the boom while it was 1/2 up to where we needed it to save battery life. Then one of the batteries died so after we got a beer we decided to pull another truck over, jumper cables between it and the dying battery and back to work. Of course we didn't have a tag line for pulling up supplies so an extension cord did the trick. At least the light is fixed and my wife didn't see the shenanigans.:cool:

Last edited:

Joshua Zahn

Equipment
L275
Feb 13, 2010
Elkton, Maryland USA
Any way to swap out the splined shaft from the old pump onto the new one? Or mabey change the gear drive at the injection pump?
I tried that but the new pump is actually about 1/2" longer so the splined shaft, although it fits nicely next to the driven gear, is too short and slides back onto the housing rather than going into the gear drive. As for changing the gear drive at the injection pump, that was kinda what I had hoped Kubota may have done when they changed parts numbers 1/2 way through the run. I had hoped they went the a different drive and injection pump gear but ...
Josh

Joshua Zahn

Equipment
L275
Feb 13, 2010
Elkton, Maryland USA
Hydraulics are the DEVIL!

Update : The previously mentioned aftermarket pump was manufactured by Sparex, Inc. in Ohio through a dealer in Carolina. The dealer was great but the pump was not. Sparex does not seem to really know about what it is that they are selling. They said they could get me a splined driveshaft pump under the same part number but by just asking that is be splined.?!?:confused: So the dealer took it back and refunded my money. I broke down and bought an OEM pump from Messick's because it would be drop shipped to my door quickly and my local Kubota dealer couldn't give a price on shipping. It arrived today and I installed it and the pressure was still only @ 1000psi max while activating the 3pt then drops to 500 psi. NOW WHAT? I'm guessing I will try to drain and the fluid again but it seems unlikely to me that it would cause roughly 1/2 the pressure that I should have as I have drained it once fairly recently. I also plan on following Vic's suggestions on one of Jack's previous post as he seem to be in about the same boat.

To top it off, I noticed that I had a flat tire this weekend. Turns out that the rim has rusted away pretty badly around the valve stem and the tube got a whole in it.:eek:

Captjack

Jun 30, 2009
Centreville,Md
Do me a favor and save that old pump !!!!!!!!

Maybe I will load my tractor up one weekend and head your way - just to see if the pump is my problem.

keep us posted on this will ya - I have been using mine - only thing it wont pick up is my old mf 25 7'6 disc (1200 lbs) after I have been using it for a while.

Joshua Zahn

Equipment
L275
Feb 13, 2010
Elkton, Maryland USA
Certainly, Jack. I was planning on putting it on a shelf in the basement since at this point I guessing it wasn't the culprit. Don't have much open land here but you're welcome and we can take the tractor across the road to the neighbor's farm to test I reckon. I'd volunteer to spend a day in Centreville with you and your tractor but my wife is expecting our third in the next month or so, my time is .....limited. What do you all think? I checked pressure in the system, but never flow. I wondering if maybe the gear that the pump slides into maybe an issue. Or is replacing the main relief valve the next logical step? It just seems weird to me that the hitch lifts like nobody's business. Not sure how much weight is on there, a 55 gal drum filled with dirt for extra traction. Sure wish my WSM had Vic's fancy listings and I could look up "Low System Pressure" in a troubleshooting guide but I guess if that were the case Vic may look like the Maytag repairman in the old commercials :D

Last edited:

SockPuppet

Equipment
B8200
Nov 23, 2009
Washington State
This is a picture of the block on a B8200 the bolt sticking up at an angle with the little tit sticking out below it is the selector valve.:D Dusty
Dusty, that pic and the description just ended a small nightmare I was having with my B8200. The manual calls that the "reverse valve". Made no sense to me and mine is frozen anyway. Now I know why my 3PH stopped working with the loader disconnected. I'll get it freed up so I can use the 3PH without the loader on and not overwork the pump.

Thank You!!!

SockPuppet

Equipment
B8200
Nov 23, 2009
Washington State
Yeah, Joshua has a different issue. I don't get how it could be the pump if it showed 2550 on a closed loop. I temporarily fixed mine with a short hose connecting the two loader ports but in Joshua's case it's something else.
I don't know if his distribution block has any flow controls but if it does, That would be where I would look.

The nut used as a washer in the pressure relief valve sure seems to indicate that this has been a problem for a while. I'm going to guess that when this gets figured out it will be one of those "Jeez, why didn't I see that" problems.

A flow map in the manual would sure help to sort this stuff out.

I took my 3PH valve apart (twice), opened up and checked the cylinder, dismantled the distribution block and drained the oil to check the screen on mine before I saw this thread with your pic...

SockPuppet

Equipment
B8200
Nov 23, 2009
Washington State
In giving a little more thought to Joshua's problem, I have a couple of ideas. First, remove the nut from the pressure release valve. My 3PH valve seems to have a couple of different release valves built in. If the pressure of the system is too high, the release in the 3PH may be bleeding off the system.

Secondly, if the 3PH control is adjusted so that the internal release in the valve is opening before the 3PH is actually at the top, that would also cause the 3PH to bleed off pressure from the system.

Just some things to look at.

Joshua Zahn

Equipment
L275
Feb 13, 2010
Elkton, Maryland USA
Son of a .......

I'm going to guess that when this gets figured out it will be one of those "Jeez, why didn't I see that" problems.
I think I found it and SockPuppet was right. I bought a couple cans of the generic engine degreasing foam at the local distributorship for China (Walmart):D and have been spraying down the Kubota and Case figuring if I have to jump into the problem once I find it, it would be much nicer if the are was clean. For about 6 mos. I have had a 55gallon drum filled with dirt riding on the back for weight. I took this off and cleaned that are and the problem seems to be staring me in the face. I had noticed along time ago a funny looking gold looking repair in the back of what I now know as the hydraulic cylinder case. Perpendicular to and around this repaired spot are cracks in the cylinder case. :eek: I'm thinking it's hard to build pressure if pressure's escaping. So when the kids wake up I'm gonna start her up cycle the hydraulics and see if anything comes out the crack. Also thinking that when I change the fluid again it should show water since I sprayed that are down pretty good. May not be the answer, but can't be good.

On a better note I checked out and old junkyard not to far from my house today looking for old truck parts.:cool: