Radio installation??

KenB2920

Equipment
L5240 brush hog,flail mower,wicked grapple,tiller,Danuser F-8 PHD,BB,RB 7' rake
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
Wiring harness came today, I am excited. There are 2 wires capped off and the chart says NC (I assume it means nit connected) if that's the case, what would they of been used for?

I have the radio, the harnes, but no tractor. Dealer is installing rear lights and wipers.

Now I assume there are four speakers in the cab. Did you wire the right front and rear to the same wires on the harness and the left front and rear speakers together? OR did you remove the cab top and run those wires to their respective speakers?

My radio also has an illumination wire. Where would I plug this in? I am thinking remote or ignition off the top of my head.

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
Wiring harness came today, I am excited. There are 2 wires capped off and the chart says NC (I assume it means nit connected) if that's the case, what would they of been used for?

I have the radio, the harnes, but no tractor. Dealer is installing rear lights and wipers.

Now I assume there are four speakers in the cab. Did you wire the right front and rear to the same wires on the harness and the left front and rear speakers together? OR did you remove the cab top and run those wires to their respective speakers?

My radio also has an illumination wire. Where would I plug this in? I am thinking remote or ignition off the top of my head.
Your tractor has only two speakers so you'll need to use a multi meter to identify those wires then find the rear channel wires on your radio and joint them together. A service manual with a wiring diagram comes in handy as well at times like this and can save you some time.

You'll need to find one wire on the tractors harness that has battery voltage at all times then join that 12 volt supplied wire to your radio harness that says 12 volts. Then you'll need to find the tractors wire that has 12 volts only in run or accessory on the key and find the corresponding wire on the radio and it should all work.

If you find it confusing just take one wire at a time, read your radios manual and you'll do it. Remember to solder and heat shrink all your connections. Oh. Don't forget to plug in your antenna ;)

KenB2920

Equipment
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
Just curious, when you say "find the wire". These are all in the harness correct? I don't have to fish any other wires do I? I hope not. The package with the harness has a diagram as does the radios. It is seeming to be spelled out pretty easy. (I am hoping) I have wired a dozen cars or so in my past. About 10 years ago. It's all coming back very slowly.

I hope the tractor gets delivered today and I can take a stab at it.

Wildfire

Equipment
Just curious, when you say "find the wire". These are all in the harness correct? I don't have to fish any other wires do I? I hope not. The package with the harness has a diagram as does the radios. It is seeming to be spelled out pretty easy. (I am hoping) I have wired a dozen cars or so in my past. About 10 years ago. It's all coming back very slowly.

I hope the tractor gets delivered today and I can take a stab at it.
Ken. Have you ever installed a radio before? If you haven't then to simplify it, the name of the game here is to match the new radio's wiring to the wiring that's on the tractors harness. All the necessary wires are there on the tractor once you plug in your harness. you won't have to add or fish any other wires.

KenB2920

Equipment
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
Lol , ok perfect. Sorry, i work midnights and sometimes over think things when i am tired. Yes, I have done a dozen or so radios, external amps, and all the loud music that kids play now that I can't stand. That was 10 years ago. ( I was the only one that I knew of playing a loud stereo with bass coming from country music).

Now i am just curious, you like solder and heat shrink. Anything wrong with Crimping with the caps they gave me and taping it? Because of you, I will be soldering the wires, I just want to know the pros or cons of crimps. Will crimps vibrate loose? Is soldering and heat shrinking just more solid for bumpier driving? Any who, I love the work you have done and therefore want mine done the "right" way.

Plus it gives me a reason to play with my solder gun. I vary rarely use it. Well I am off to bed, I hope to wake up and see a reply and my tractor on the driveway.

Wildfire

Equipment
Now i am just curious, you like solder and heat shrink. Anything wrong with Crimping with the caps they gave me and taping it? Because of you, I will be soldering the wires, I just want to know the pros or cons of crimps. Will crimps vibrate loose? Is soldering and heat shrinking just more solid for bumpier driving? Any who, I love the work you have done and therefore want mine done the "right" way.

Plus it gives me a reason to play with my solder gun. I vary rarely use it. Well I am off to bed, I hope to wake up and see a reply and my tractor on the driveway.
Hum. How can I answer his without insulting or hurting anyone's feelings?
Well let me just start and say that my dad used to say "Anything worth doing is worth doing well". I try and live by that. I've also leaned over the years that if something is "fast" to use it will usually mean its not of good quality.

I personally cringe when I see stab locs or crimps being used. They are butt ugly, unprofessional looking, they fail easly, they don't keep moisture out, they can pull apart and even crack the wire if the crimp is to tight.

Now take two wires, strip each end of the wire then install your heat shrink over the wire. Use a heat gun ( not a lighter or open flame) and shrink. Then stand back and look at what you just did.

Don't it look as good as it possibly can?
Don't it look much stronger?
Don't it look as water tight as it can be?
Don't you think now that you used solder and heat shrink you can now tape the wiring up and not see any ugly looking buldges caused by butt connectors?
Don't it look more professional?

If you answered YES to all of those questions then you know the advantages to using solder and heat shrink on your wiring projects. That's why I suggest doing it that way.

I appreciate your kind words on my work and now I'll tell you how I think when I work.

The first thing I want to do is get the repair or project as good as I possibly can. I am constantly asking myself if what I'm doing is factory looking and I try and reach for that goal. Did I succeed? I really don't know. I'll just leave that to my customers and viewers of my posts. All I can say is that I don't have "come backs" and my customers are happy with my work :D

Remember. ...Excellence is not a skill. It is an attitude...

Please post photos of your new beast when it arrives.

KenB2920

Equipment
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
Just an update for anyone who cares. Wired correctly and kind of installed. I will be removing the cab cover to get the wires to sit properly. Works awesome and I love it. Thanks to wildfire for the soldering and heat shrink idea. I also zip tied all the wires and it looks good.

I will post photos when I have the opportunity ..... I thank everyone for their input. I love when a plan comes together.

Wildfire

Equipment
Just an update for anyone who cares. Wired correctly and kind of installed. I will be removing the cab cover to get the wires to sit properly. Works awesome and I love it. Thanks to wildfire for the soldering and heat shrink idea. I also zip tied all the wires and it looks good.

I will post photos when I have the opportunity ..... I thank everyone for their input. I love when a plan comes together.

Cool! Glad its working out. When you pull the roof off just take out the long 10mm bolts inside. They about 2.5" long. There will be four short ones, two on each side by the door openings. Those four bolts will stay in so if you take them out and there only about 1.5" long put them back and move on to the next bolts. The roof is light but you should have someone help you lift it off because its awkward to handle. Good luck and your very welcome :D

Oh. I care ;)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well I aint got no radio on the BX,,,,BUT,,, And I have to say over the years I have halfazzed a lot of stuff thats come back to haunt me.
And now I do try to do the best I can at what ever Im doing,,, and thats all Wildfires fault:D
Thank you my friend

KenB2920

Equipment
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
Well I aint got no radio on the BX,,,,BUT,,, And I have to say over the years I have halfazzed a lot of stuff thats come back to haunt me.
And now I do try to do the best I can at what ever Im doing,,, and thats all Wildfires fault:D
Thank you my friend
Funny you mention this. I usually try to do everything the best of my ability but I would be completely lying my arsh* off if I said I haven't or don't Jerry rig a thing from time to time with a " good enough" attitude.

I swear every time I have done anything in the past 2 week, all I can hear in my head is this little voice. " if its worth doing, it's worth doing right". Thanks wildfire. Lol. It's actually been a nice curse.

I hope this is what I need to teach me patience. In may even make up a sticker that says this and stick it inside the cab of my tractor.

KenB2920

Equipment
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
There is Wildfire's way and then there is my way. Is it better than it was before I worked on it? This happens to me only occasionally.
Trust me, I understand. There has been a time or two that I have attempted to do something and it was better off before I touched it.

I only had to yell twice while doing the radio. I always say " I wish I had patience like a grandparent". Grandparents seem to be the most patient people. I invision wildfire to be EXTREMELY patient.

I think I am better than I was in my twenties. Hopefully I will be better in my forties

jjchavez

Equipment
BX2320
Jan 30, 2017
Spokane Valley
Hi guys, new to the forum and rather then start a new thread I figured I'd tag onto this one if anyone is still watching it. I just bought a new Kubota U35 w/ cab and am trying to install a radio into this unit. It came with the antenna, speakers, housing for the stereo etc. "prewired". When I first opened the housing there were no wires available, they were all taped to the back of the unit. I had to take the housing off (pain the butt) to get to them but I took the tape off & this is what I now have. There seems to be 4 wires (maybe 6 if the yellow and white ones in the back (with blue tape around them) should have come apart as well. There is no connector and the Kubota harnesses I am looking at online seem to have way more wires then I do. Any help on what I should be looking for/at would be appreciated.

Attachments

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
You're going to need a Work Shop Manual, or a schematic for your machine.

It will show you the color coding for the wiring you need.

At basic, +12VDC power, ground (gnd), antenna, speaker left + and -, speaker right + and -.

Looking at the thumbnail, it appears to show a coax cable which would be the antenna conductors.

You would match the Kubota to the new radio like for like. Using connectors will allow you to pull the radio to replace it.

KenB2920

Equipment
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
Hi guys, new to the forum and rather then start a new thread I figured I'd tag onto this one if anyone is still watching it. I just bought a new Kubota U35 w/ cab and am trying to install a radio into this unit. It came with the antenna, speakers, housing for the stereo etc. "prewired". When I first opened the housing there were no wires available, they were all taped to the back of the unit. I had to take the housing off (pain the butt) to get to them but I took the tape off & this is what I now have. There seems to be 4 wires (maybe 6 if the yellow and white ones in the back (with blue tape around them) should have come apart as well. There is no connector and the Kubota harnesses I am looking at online seem to have way more wires then I do. Any help on what I should be looking for/at would be appreciated.
I'll have to look, but I believe there should be a cream colored harness. It's been a while since I did mine. I thought I posted pictures on this thread(I didn't go back and look). I also believe my harness was hidden extremely well back there. Take another look to be sure there isn't anything else back there.

jjchavez

Equipment
BX2320
Jan 30, 2017
Spokane Valley
WOW thanks for the quick responses. I've gotten a bit further. Sure enough when I took the rest of the blue tape off, the speaker wires revealed themselves. With my test light I realized I had zero power to any of the cables so I popped open the fuse panel on this brand new mini ex and what do you know, bad fuse. Fixed that but now am scratching my head. There is no constant 12v power on any of the wires. There is power to the yellow wire when in ACC or when started, but when I go full stop, there is nothing to keep power to the stereo which means everytime I turn it off, I will lose the clock and the station presets. I don't have a cream colored wire just what I'm showing. I've attached a better picture if anyone has any other suggestions. I am in the process of trying to buy a service manual.

Attachments

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
It might be wired so theres only power when the switch is on

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
The +12VDC is wired the way it is to keep from running down the battery.

When you get a schematic you will find an unkeyed +12VDC to tap into. You may want to take the existing wire and move it to a new fuse if you have an empty slot in the fuse box.

What you're wanting can be done.

Broncoduecer

Equipment
L5240HST-3
Mar 10, 2024
MT
Hi all - first post here. We recently bought a new to us 2012 L5240. I went to install a simple Bluetooth head unit but found the existing black bracket didn’t accommodate the mounting plate the new radio came with. And the radio itself was too loose to secure in there. the new mounting was just a bit taller than the could fit in the existing bracket.

So my question is, does a factory part number radio just fit and lock into that existing mounting plate?

i could have made the factory bracket work. I could have cut it and bolted/riveted the new plate to the existing plate. But I thought there would be a simpler solution. I doubt any other single din would fit any different.
Curious if anyone else had this issue as well.