Secondary air filter--composition?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
According to the check list in my owner's manual, both the primary and secondary air filters are to be replaced at one year or sooner if you have to clean the primary a lot. So I went by the dealer's to pick up one of each, and the gal who does the parts says "practically no one changes the secondary" and there have been OTT threads discussing the pro's and cons of not changing the secondary. So I didn't buy the secondary this time.

However I was interested to read in the WSM that it said Do not touch the secondary element except in cases where replacement is required. Well it is not possible to get the primary off and on again without the primary touching the sides of the secondary due to the hood being in the way of a straight on access.. Do you think there is something about the secondary that would lead to it not functioning properly if the sides have been touched? It is blue instead of white like the primary.

An example of something like that is projector bulbs and microscope light bulbs that burn out faster and don't give an even illumination of you get fingerprints on them.

Or is this another case where something got lost in the translation?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If the outer filter is doing it's job the inner filter will last for years. I always inspect the color and look closely at the screen around the filter for signs of dust.

My opinion of why they warn about touching the inner filter is this.
As long as that filter isn't moved the chance for contamination is almost 0%. I don't believe it's so much the filter getting damage but the seal itself.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
I have to wonder if "do not touch inner filter" is a result of the wsm having been written by someone in Japan. I have seen several wsm references that had me telling myself "that's not how I would have said that".

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
I have to wonder if "do not touch inner filter" is a result of the wsm having been written by someone in Japan. I have seen several wsm references that had me telling myself "that's not how I would have said that".
Exactly.
Physically touching it is not going to harm anything - its not like it made of asbestos or is fragile. You just don't need to touch it (change it).

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Many people like to blow dust from the filters. Inner one shouldnt require any attention if outer filter is in good condition.
I blow dust out of the outer filters quite often.
The outer should be changed at reccomended intervals.

The secondary will get dirty, i recall the grasshopper mowers needing a new inner about every third primary filter change. Used to send outers out for cleaning, was about 1/2 price of new.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Thanks guys, Bulldog's interpretation about not messing up the seal on the secondary (unless you have a nice new one there to replace it) makes sense to me.

On my tractor the angle is such that you have a little wrestling match to get the primary out. It has some notches in the foam sealing surface, but a flashlight inspection of the space where it sits did not reveal any differences, so I could see no preferred orientation in replacing it. There seemed to be some pressure on it from the cover to help make a seal. If the foam surfaces are important in making a seal, then that would be a good reason why they recommend replacing the primary after 6 cleanings or 1 year whichever comes first. That foam stuff might not last too long even if the filter itself is ok.

There isn't a turbo on my engine, but if there is one, does it take air from after the secondary filter, and if so, does it need a stronger filter because of increased pressure? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I don't have a clear idea of how turbos work on these new engines.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
A turbo engine simply pulls more air thru the filter under load. No pressure problem, but I might change the filters a little more often.