m5400 shifting problem

rick72

Equipment
kubota m5400
Apr 24, 2010
nassau, n.y.
My m5400 is developing progressive resistance when shifting from low range to neutral in the low range. High range is O.K.---tractor has 600 hrs and is 13 yrs old.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
This may be a dumb question but have you traced the shifter linkage and put some lube on it? I try to put some kind of spray lube on any point where any moving metal to metal parts are. I have found that Zep 2000 penetraiting grease works well for this. It sprays out kind of like penetraiting oil does then turns to a grease. It works good on the 3pt hitch balls as well.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Maybe it will be something simple. If you can find a place that carries Zep products they usually will have that Zep 2000 spray. I believe it comes in a 16OZ can. It lasts a long time. I use it on a lot of things around the house as well as the tractor stuff. My wife even claims a can for herself that she says I can't touch. I always try my best to leave that one alone if you no what I mean.

As far as linkage goes I'll tell you one that happened to me. My throttle was a little stiff on my L 3000. I sprayed just a little on the moving parts and worked the throttle back and forth. It loosened up real nice and was smoother than it had ever been. Just one problem though. It would move so easy after I lubed it that it won't stay where I set it. I can pull the RPMs up to PTO speed and let it go and it will start falling back off. I have to lay my foot down on the foot pedal just enough to keep it in place. At least I know it is not wearing now.

Lynyrd

Equipment
M5400
Sep 12, 2015
Ben Wheeler
I had the same problem several years ago. The dealer fixed it and said there was a roll pin on the shift bar inside the transmission that lossens and extends out the side of the bar. I'm having the same problem again now, and want to fix it myself if I can. I've stripped off everything that covers the transmission and removed the inspection plate towards the rear, but I still can't access the roll pin. Does anyone know how to get to the pin?

Last edited: